Thread: Flue height

Jon Randolph Guest

Default Flue height

I know that this doesn't meet the 2/10/3 rule, but shouldn't there be a height difference for flues of wood burning fireplaces? Left and middle are for 2 wood fireplaces, right was for furnace, but is now unused.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Jon Randolph; 04-07-2008 at 07:07 PM. Reason: ssssppppeeelllllllliiiinnnnggggg
    Inspection Referral

Cool Re: Flue height

A 13x13 for a furnace??? Wow! must be a real monster! Talk about oversized flues...

There is no concensus on staggering of masonry flues. The tiles should project 2-4" above the crown wash. Most factory built fireplaces state how to stagger multiple fireplace chimneys within the same chase but the only one I'm aware of that addresses heater flue proximity is HHT( Heatilator, Heat&Glo, Quadrafire). Generally, the heater flue is staggered higher to disperse its nasty fumes without rotting the nearby metal and not recirculate fumes down the fireplace at standby. BTW, I got them to address this issue in their manuals.

Seems like every time I remove one of those OD Funk tops, there are stink bugs packed into those folds in the corners.

Bob

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Default Re: Flue height

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
    ... Seems like every time I remove one of those OD Funk tops, there are stink bugs packed into those folds in the corners.
    Bob
    Not to hijack the thread, but those stink bugs are something, aren't they? Apparently they first appeared in our area, originally from China. I know my house is infested. They don't do much, except provide some amusement for the cats. Oh, my wife claims she can smell them, but she has superhuman olfactory sense. I suspect many on this forum from other parts of our great country don't have a clue what we're talking about.

Jon Randolph Guest

Default Re: Flue height

The furnace that utilized that flue has been replaced with a high efficiency.