Default Oldest water heater found yet (for me)

Yesterday I inspected a house built in 1958-59 and found the original water heater in place and working fine. I was doing the inspection for the original owners son that inherited the house when his parents passed away.

He gets to move into the big bedroom with the bathroom now.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Oldest water heater found yet (for me)

Jack - Did it look like this?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Two years ago I ran across a 1973 Rheem water heater making it 32 years old at the time. It was ugly and had a fair amount of rust but was still making hot water.

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Cool Re: Oldest water heater found yet (for me)

My next door neighbor has an all copper WH from about 80+ yrs ago. I'll try to get pics and more info. Looks like a cross btw a cappucino machine, R2D2 and C3PO.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
    My next door neighbor has an all copper WH from about 80+ yrs ago. I'll try to get pics and more info. Looks like a cross btw a cappucino machine, R2D2 and C3PO.

Cool!

I've seen photos of those and those were the water heaters used by Watts in their movie Danger - Explosion Lurks.

Those copper ones are riveted together.

I copied the movie over to a .mpg file format, of course, it's about 315 MB in size. I even had permission form Watts to put it on my website (of course, that e-mail was lost in a crash years ago, but getting their updated written permission should be as easy as asking for it, that's what I did).

Anyone have a website with enough room to put the Watts movie one so anyone who wants to can view it? If so, I will burn a copy of the file to a CD and send it to you, but only so it will be put on view for all to see.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Talking Re: Oldest water heater found yet (for me)

I installed one in my dad's house in 1974, he died in 2001 and the water heater was still working when we sold the house and they remodeled it in 2003. However he drained and flushed it out every year, had great well water. It was made for Cook's Hardware and had their label but I don't know who actually made it.
    What a deal.

If a man empties his purse into his head no one can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest
    Benjamin Franklin

Lightbulb Re: Oldest water heater found yet (for me)

Jerry
    Put it up on You tube.
    100 meg limit per upload but you can upload as many as you want and link them

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

It's one continuous movie.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Quote Originally Posted by BARRY ADAIR View Post
    YES! That's what I have, only that one looks to be digitally cleaned up.

Here is a link to the preview: Explosion - Danger Lurks!

Explosion - Danger Lurks!
    Originally filmed in 1948, Explosion - Danger Lurks is a classic film depicting the dangers of water heaters left unprotected against high temperature and pressure situations. The film demonstrates the awesome power of unprotected water heaters through actual field tests performed by Watts Regulator. Explosion Danger Lurks stresses the importance of installing temperature and pressure relief valves to protect against these dangerous situations.

Watch the preview, then realize that you have not seen ANYTHING YET compared to watching the movie (video). Not only is the movie very informative with regards to the explosive force and danger of exploding water heater, but the video presents information which will also make it so you will understand what goes on with a water heater the what and whys of it all.

That is a definite MUST WATCH!

I have 2 copies of the 1948 movie on VCR, gave a few out, and I used to show them at every FABI meeting (that was about 10-15 years ago) MOST IMPRESSIVE movie.

Order the DVD, also order the other DVDs shown. I also have the Backflow one on VCR video someplace.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

MythBusters just did a water heater explosion. They did a great job I think. Here is a link to part that did not make it on the show Video - Discovery Channel Videos Online - News, Science, Space, History, Engineering just click expoding water heaters under the video window. Also their is a discusion on their forums. I think if some of you old timers can help set some of the posters on their forums straight it would be great. Many are saying that since the Mythbusters had all ports closed it will explode. But one in a normal plumbing system could never explode. I know that is false. I have seen many homes that where damaged due to water heaters that let loose with defective T & P valves. I just ran into a heater that was bulging. Thank god the home owner called me in time. here is the forums link Exploding Water Heater - Water Heater Rocket - Discuss It Here! - Topic Powered by eve community

Oh to keep this on topic the oldest water heater I came across was 1972 Rheem heater that had many boiler drain repair plugs in it.

Eric Shuman Guest

Mine wasn't as old as some posted here but I was still amazed last year when I had to replace the one in my home (because it was leaking, of course) - it was 24 years old and worked great up until it started leaking. I believe it had a 10 year warranty stated on the side of the tank. I bet none of the water heaters sold today will last much longer than their stated warranty.

Eric

Richard Rushing Guest

The oldest one I've seen was 42 years old. Before last year, the record for me was 38... needless to say, when I came across teh 42 year old unit, it made my pulse quicken... Yeah!!! New record!!