Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Aaron Miller Guest

Default I Need Your Help With This

http://realtytimes.com/rtpages/20080408_moldmustgo.htm

This bozo has been publishing crap like this for the past few months at realtytimes.com. I ask that everyone on this forum please take a moment to send their thoughts both to the editor of realtytimes.com

AskRealtyTimes@realtytimes.com

and Mr. Bulldog-Talkin'-Trash Rodriguez

info@bulldoginspect.com

If the article included is not enough to send you up the wall then read his site at Bulldoginspect .

Pay particular attention to this part of his pre-inspection agreement:

Inspections are done in accordance with ASHI® Standards, are visual, and are not technically exhaustive. The following items are specifically excluded from the inspection: water softening systems, security systems, telephone and cable TV cables, timing systems, swimming pools and spas, underground or concealed pipes, sewer lines, septic systems, electrical lines and circuits, central vacuum systems, central air conditioning when outside temperature is below 60º F or 15º C, and any other condition, item, system or component which by the nature of their location are concealed or otherwise difficult to inspect or which the Inspector cannot visually examine. Excluded is the assurance of a dry basement or crawl space; also excluded is the assurance that double and triple pane glazing seals in windows are intact. Inspector will not dismantle any component or system; full evaluation of the integrity of a heat exchanger requires dismantling of the furnace and is beyond the scope of a visual inspection; Inspector will not conduct geological tests; will not inspect inaccessible or concealed areas of the Property; will not enter dangerous areas of the Property; will not inspect for environmental concerns such as hazardous substances or gasses, including but not limited to, radon gas, asbestos, formaldehyde; or for pests such as wood destroying organisms, insects, or rodents; or for fungus. Inspector examines a representative sample of components that are identical and numerous, such as electrical outlets, bricks, shingles, windows, etc., and does not examine every single one of these identical items, therefore, some detectable deficiencies may go unreported.

HOLD HARMLESS AGREEMENT: CLIENT agrees to hold any and all real estate agents involved in the purchase of the property to be inspected harmless and keep them exonerated from all loss, damage, liability or expense occasioned or claimed by reasons or acts or neglects of the INSPECTOR or his employees or visitors or of independent contractors engaged or paid by INSPECTOR for the purpose of inspecting the subject home (_______).

If anyone is in his general vicinity I will gladly pay for your gas and your time if you pay him a personal visit and "pass the wand" of wisdom to his sorry ass.

Thanks,

Aaron

Last edited by Aaron Miller; 05-15-2008 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Redaction.
    Crawl Space Creeper

Aaron Miller Guest

Default Re: I Need Your Help With This

Sorry, I forgot . . .

Bulldoginspect

is the best page on his site.

Gawwd!

Thumbs up Re: I Need Your Help With This

What is wrong with it? I have the same disclamer on all my reports. If your is any different then your in for a lot of trouble.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

That outfit is a flat-out boot licker. Bulldog Inspections? What a joke. Theres is nothing bulldog-like about their lame approach. Any buyer thinking about using them should get a chance to see all that crap so they can promptly run in the opposite direction.

I have similar disclaimers in my agreement regarding what is excluded from the inspection I perform and the report. But the part about protecting the realtor is just another creative way they have found to lick the realtors boots.

The website stuff is embarrassing.

Last edited by Nick Ostrowski; 04-08-2008 at 07:55 AM.

Aaron Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mount View Post
    What is wrong with it? I have the same disclamer on all my reports. If your is any different then your in for a lot of trouble.
    Tony:

Taken out of context maybe it's OK. Taken within the context of the information provided in his article and his website this is plain duplicitous dealing.

Read it all again.

Aaron

Aaron Miller Guest

The website stuff is embarrassing.
    Without a doubt.

Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Miller View Post
    ...Pay particular attention to this part of his pre-inspection agreement:
    ...Inspector examines a representative sample of components that are identical and numerous, such as electrical outlets, bricks, shingles, windows, etc.,...
    From his website:

"We do a 100% inspection. No representative sampling."

Arron,

What re your specific objections to that article? His opinions on mold are similar to mine, which are based in turn on information readily available from the CDC, EPA, OSHA and the IDHP, which is where I direct my clients for initial information.

More significantly - as I'm not microbiologist, IH or other scientist or health professional - his advice and opinion are also in general agreement with the opinion of every Industrial Hygienist with whom I've discussed mold problems, including Gary Bussey

Bussey Environmental, Inc. Home Page

who has probably planned, overseen and evaluated as much or more commercial and institutional mold remediation as anyone in the US.

As for the disclaimer, it's similar to the one in my contract: - if I observe it I will report the existence of "material similar in appearance to biological growth", but that's as far as I go. Through inspection for biological materials, their positive identification, the evaluation of heath risks, and the planning, performing, or evaluating remediation is beyond the scope of my inspection. As for "mold testing", I've yet to meet an IH who recommends it in the manner in which it performed by most (in fact, all I'm aware of) home inspectors, of for the proposes for which they generally employ it, and this is also the position of the CDC, EPA and the IDPH.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Aaron Miller Guest

What are your specific objections to that article?
    Michael:

I'm sorry but, if you have to ask, you either did not read all of the information directed to you in the post, or you may have a problem only powerful drugs in combination with extended bed rest can cure . . .

Aaron

“Bulldog” appears to just another synonym for “Bozo.”

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Aaron Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    “Bulldog” appears to just another synonym for “Bozo.”
    Oh, most certainly.

Aaron

Nick,

If that "hold harmless" clause is "boot licking" than I'm a boot-licker - my E&O coverage includes "referring party" coverage to protect any Real Estate Agent who refers me from a suit by a client, seller or anyone else negligent referral.

I don't go looking for agent referrals, but I do make sure that any agent I deal with knows that they are covered: I'm paying for E&O while working hard to try to insure there is never a claim, I'm going to squeeze every drop of marketing advantage I can from my premium, and my "referring party" coverage is one of the few effective tactics I can employ with agents against the current swarm of uninsured low ballers.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Jim Hime Guest

I guess ASHI should be happy that a non-ASHI member claims to be using their standards in a pre-inspection agreement. Kansas doesn't have a HI licensing law (nor Florida, etc.) so I guess one could imply a higher level of inspection for rewards that may not materialize.

Inspectors responsible for mold? Gezus.

The inspector from Spring City appears to have summed it up in a nutshell.

What's Realty Times doing?

Aaron Miller Guest

What's Realty Times doing?
    Protecting the business of their realtors through the moronic musings of this canine calamity of an "inspector", what else?

Aaron

When I first read the post, and then read the disclaimer, etc from his pre inspection contract, I thought "what's the big deal" since his disclaimer is pretty much what mine covers. While my E&O does cover agents, I don't advertise that fact.

However, when I looked at the web site, my stomach churned a bit, and I can understand why Aaron is upset. This guy is a duffus. I think though that all he is doing is subscribing to the NACHI cool aid and advertising the way Nick wants them to.

I have to wonder what agent is going to buy into his crap, or what a potential client is going to think when he is sucking up so hard to the agents. Who is this guy really working for?

However, when I see this stuff (even in my own area), I get a little pissed, then move on. I have to wonder why Aaron in TX is sooo upset about a guy in another State.

We can lead them to water, but we can't make them drink. He will probably be out of business in a while, and another one of Nick's boys will take his place, and suck up to Realtors in another way.
    JF

Michael Larson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    I think though that all he is doing is subscribing to the NACHI cool aid and advertising the way Nick wants them to.
    Did you bother to click on his "click to verify button" on his home page?

He is not a member.

Aaron Miller Guest

I have to wonder why Aaron in TX is sooo upset about a guy in another State.
    I just think it's time for HIs to stand up and put a stop to this type of BS. If we don't no one will.

Aaron

Yes I agree, it's time for HIs to stand up and put a stop to this type of BS.
    He is only fallowing preaching of K. C. and we have to put a stop to him.

Jim Hime Guest

Unless professional H.I.'s watch their own industry no one else will.
    We all know it. One affects all.

I wonder if that agent you are sucking up too will come to your defense when you get the letter. Agents disclaim any knowledge of property condition until they have a report on their desk. Then, they pick it apart like they have a greater knowledge than the inspector. It's like a miracle of new found expertise just happended. When they do and the buyer falls for it, that monkey stays on your shoulders as your inspection was just altered. Those disclaimers won't help when you have to spend money to defend yourself.
    Of course you can always bring the agent into the suit for doing that.

I would hate to be in a deposition and be asked why one is using an ASHI standard when they are not an ASHI member, or advertise being a member of an association when they are not. I'm sure an E/0 carrier would react instantly and deny coverage as the attorney just added fraud and misrepresentation to his list.

Anyway, back to the post. If there is a Kansas legislator out there I would encourage state licensing.

...just my opinion.

Aaron Miller Guest

If there is a Kansas legislator out there I would encourage state licensing.
    Licensing in Oz?

If ever, oh ever, a Whiz there was
    The Bulldog's is one because
    Because, because, because, because, because
    Because of the realtor butts he does
    We're off to see the Bulldog
    The Wonderful Bulldog of Oz

It's just a damned shame that more folks don't get up in arms about this type of stuff. You'll all spend hours talking about football and huntin' and fishin' and golf, and lookin' for gnat tracks in photos of exploded dishwashers, and gawd only knows what sort of mindless, drool-producing crap. But, when it comes to actually doing something that takes little effort and has the possibility of making a real difference in our industry, it's sit on the ass time around here.

Take just a moment and send the Bulldog a note telling him what you think of his realtor ass-kissing ways. Tell him what an honest and wonderful guy you think he is. He needs to hear from you. All of you. Except, of course, those skanks that actually find nothing wrong with his modus operandi.

Aaron

Jim Hime Guest

I bet E&O carriers monitor this forum. If I were a carrier and had ( a supposed ASHI standard, but not an ASHI member or an insured that claims to be part of an association if he's not) under one of my policies I'd probably send him a letter as my risk appears just too great. No wonder E/0 carriers want to see a copy of your advertising. duh?

Aaron Miller Guest

I bet E&O carriers monitor this forum.
    I have no doubt. There's a whole lot of lurking going on around here. Some of them, like the guy from Chipmunk (Alvin), TX occasionally stick there heads out. Imported something or other. Probably illegal.

I think the majority of folks who tune in here are either way to P.C. to actually speak the truth about anything of import, or they don't know any truth to speak. Of course, we'll have to exclude homeowners who should not be on here in the first place, but that's not their fault. I wish them well and hope that at least they can get a handle on what punks like Bulldog are doing. Maybe some of them will do the HIs jobs for them and drop a line to Bulldog and the editor of realtytimes.com.

I know that a couple of us have already sent in those messages. How about the rest of you? Got a few minutes to spare ala G.W. Bush's almost-a-recession-down-the-tubes-American-dream? Spend it constructively and send those letters to the Dawg!

Aaron

Aaron Miller Guest

Found this picture of the Bulldog himself. Half bulldog and half shitzu. You do the math er uh, the grammar:

Yahoo! Image Detail for static.flickr.com/2281/2091054091_c52a5909c1.jpg

Aaron

I have to agree with Aaron quite a bit on this one. That guy hurts our profession as a whole. We all have disclaimers in our contracts. The bulldogs at first read seems normal enough but upon further read it looks to be a bit more ass-covering than most in the details.
    As for the website ... what an ass kissing piece of s...
    'I won't kill your deal or scare your clients'. I think that's realtor code for 'I do crappy checkbox insp that customers can't really understand anyway but look really great'. I'm sure visually his reports/binder and glossy add-ins probably make some of ours look second rate. On the issue of substance however, I'm sure anyone of us, half asleep, could blow him away. I've done inspections after guys like that and it's always the same. Lots of glitz, but no substance.
    He is one of the reasons people don't feel the need to pay for a good inspection.
    On the other hand, he isn't exactly lying (except maybe the internachi thing) so that's how he gets away with it. It's all about presenting the information your way to infer a message.
    I love the line about 85% of the HI's are the problem. What the hell kind of market do they have in KC? The whole thing about being 'winners'. I can hear the sucking sound over the internet.
    I'll be shooting off a message to the realtytimes.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

I went through the site again. It's good I have to give him that. It smells like an MBA grad put it together. Nothing wrong with that but when we read through it I think we as other professionals see all the warning signs.
    Did any of you notice the 'realtor training' link?

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC

Aaron Miller Guest

I went through the site again. . . It smells . . . Did any of you notice the 'realtor training' link?
    You are right on Target, Markus.

Thanks,

Aaron

You have to wonder if he ever gets sued and the plaintiff shows the judge his web site.....

It's curtains

Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)

Steve Rodriguez Guest

WOW! I would have to say that I am quite impressed with all the talk about me! Aaron, I couldn't pay for better pubilicity.

I set the standard in Kansas City because there are no licensing requirements in my state and I have went the distance to make sure that I go above and beyond for my clients.

I teach CE classes for Keller Williams, Reece and Nichols and several other realty offices. I had a Pillar to Post franchise for 3 years and was trained by the best in the industry. I go above and beyond the average home inspection of 400+ items to 1600 items. I am also an arbitrator for 2 very large firms. I have been a member of ASHI, but found that NACHI supports Home inspectors better then ASHI did. In Kansas and Missouri you only have the 2 to contend with. When I say in my report that I follow ASHI standards it is true, however I go above those standards. I would hope that all inspectors would.

If any one takes offense to my website and my wording or my ethics, then I can't apologize for anything. The trouble lies within you and not me.

I love what I do! I love my clients, I love my realtors and I go above and beyond to take care of them.

If you feel differently and you are scorned by this industry you shouldn't be a part of it.

I have a hard-time understanding why someone in another state would find my website and go off the wall....is it because your inspections pale in comparison?

My wife and I both run our company together. We have a strong belief and walk with God and that has led us to set the standard in our industry. We both get to stay home with our children and my business has allowed this all to be possible. Why wouldn't anyone try to be the best in their industry?

If you have a bone to pick with my disclaimer...then you need to have a bone with all Pillar to Post franchises because it is the same one that use. I will not change a thing about it.

If you want to see what my clients say about me go to Steve Rodriguez (Bulldog Professional Inspection Services) - Inspector - Olathe, Kansas

I realize that not everyone will agree with me and that only 15 % of inspectors will get what I am doing and what I am talking about. The rest will get angry and call names and make silly gestures to try to show how they feel. I am glad that I could bring such emotion from my website! I hope this has inspired you all to be better at what you do. You don't have to agree with me, I am not trying to convince you of this. But you do have to take care of your clients. If this creates enough anger in you to do this, then everyone wins.

Steve "The Goofball" Bulldog Inspector

Last edited by Steve Rodriguez; 04-09-2008 at 08:18 PM.

Steve,

I believe the problem is the "agent" page. "We will not kill your deal". It truly sounds like you are going to minimize EVERYTHING, no matter how bad it might be.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

imported_John Smith Guest

Steve, I suggest you drop a not to Brian Hannigan (the owner of the site). Personal attacks arent what this site is about. Just because someone doesnt agree with your business doesnt make them free to engage in cyber bullying

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rodriguez View Post
    ..We have a strong belief and walk with God and that has led us to set the standard in our industry. ..
    God? Really? How does He feel about state licensing, by the way? I've always wanted to know.

Steve Rodriguez Guest

Regarding my "Agent page" and the message that "I will not kill your deal":

I can't tell you how many times a real estate agent has told me that a Home inspector told their clients that they wouldn't buy that house if it was the last one left on the planet. They told me that it killed the deal. I try to walk through every inspection with my clients and we cover all 1600 items and I keep in context the age of the home and the area in which it was built and I explain the good points to the home as well as the structural unsound.

It isn't about what you say as much as the tone in which it is spoken. If I told someone that their house was falling apart and it was crap, what do you think this would do for my business, my relationship with the client and my relationship with the realtors?

If I found a home that had foundation failure I would tell the client in a professional tone that "the foundation is seccumbing to the hydrostatic pressures of the ground on the other side and we have to call a structural engineer. It isn't a big deal they are usually pretty cheap and they will tell you exactly how it should be repaired". Very simply put, this is what I mean by "I will not kill your deal"

I will admit that looking at it from everyone else's stand point it can look rash, and I could change it but I feel that it is important to get across. You have to keep in mind that I speak with each Realtor and get this point across to them.

I have never been sued because I take very good care of my clients, in the event that I ever was or ever will be, I will still take care of my clients. It is only right and fair!

You have to remember that I am speaking for Kansas City where there are not licensing requirements and 85% of home inspectors are one day a plumber, the next day a contractor and the next a Home inspector. Don't get offense to this. It didn't pertain to you. My audience is Kansas City based.

I agree that name calling and bullying is a very childish way of handleing something.

I don't take offense however, because I find so much pride in what I do and I am proud to set a higher standard.

Steve

Last edited by Steve Rodriguez; 04-09-2008 at 08:19 PM.

.I walk through every inspection with my clients and we cover all 1600 items
    If I found a home that had foundation failure I would tell the client in a professional tone that "the foundation is seccumbing to the hydrostatic pressures of the ground on the other side and we have to call a structural engineer.

Steve
    Gosh Steve,

How long does it take to cover all 1600 Items?

Does the Client understand what you are saying / ask questions or do you leave that to the SE, Roofer, Plumber, HVAC, ect. to explain (Kill The Deal?)

Please remember this is not your usual Audience.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

what's that saying about throwing gasoline on ... ?
    So 1600 items, average inspection 2.5 hours (as per his website) so someone help me with the math on this ... does that work out to 13 seconds per item? Awesome inspection!

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC

David Banks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by imported_John Smith View Post
    Steve, I suggest you drop a not to Brian Hannigan (the owner of the site). Personal attacks arent what this site is about. Just because someone doesnt agree with your business doesnt make them free to engage in cyber bullying
    John. This section is for discussion about such topics.

Non-Technical Topics For Home, Commercial & Environmental Inspectors » Associations, Ethics, Standards, Licensing, Legislation:Home Inspectors & Commercial Inspectors »

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    So 1600 items, average inspection 2.5 hours ..... does that work out to 13 seconds per item?
    Markus,

I think you have to divide that 13 seconds per item by at least 4.

1. Locate

2. Identify

3. Document

4. Explain to the Client.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

Steve Rodriguez Guest

Listen guys,

This could go on for weeks. You should take less pleasure in bashing me, my website, and my ways, and more pleasure in knowing that you've uncovered a website that makes a message of the only thing that our many clients want to hear.

My website is no joke and I take the information very seriously (I personally wrote every word of it)...and if you're going to quote it or grab sections from it then you should give yourself more credit and not take it out of context (my site clearly says that the inspection time is based on many things, including client involvement). And if you're also offended by the content, then work smart enough to place yourself in the 15% and out of the 85% (which is where you clearly place yourself, otherwise you wouldn't be offended).

So you ask if an inspection take 2.5 hours? Yes, if I'm left alone and the home's in good shape (which is what I normally get because my prices are higher, leaving the price sensitive clients with the bad homes to my cheaper competition). I've been doing this for 5 years now, have done over 1400 inspections and have my process down to a science.

But guys who throw childish names and expletives are just like most other inspectors I know who struggle (and I refuse to believe that you don't since you're walking around poisoning people with your attitudes) and elevate their own suppressed self-esteems by bashing those who've come to truly understand their role in the real estate process, care enough to listen to their clients (both agents and buyer/seller/investor) and then are smart enough to deliver.

So please guys, unless you want to have an adult exchange about my position on anything that's on your mind, find something more productive to do with your time and let me continue to work toward elevating this wonderful industry of ours.

God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason.

By the way, I'll still be publishing articles at realtytimes.com

Steve

Last edited by Steve Rodriguez; 04-09-2008 at 08:21 PM.

Michael Larson Guest

Steve,

You do realize that you advertise yourself as a NACHI member but indeed are not?

As least according to your click to verify seal on you web pages.

That's not ethical to me.

WOW!

I set the standard in Kansas City because there are no licensing requirements .

I teach CE classes for Keller Williams, Reece and Nichols and several other realty offices.
    I am also an arbitrator for 2 very large firms.

If any one takes offense to my website and my wording or my ethics, then I can't apologize for anything. The trouble lies within you and not me.

I love my realtors

then everyone wins.

Steve "The Goofball" Bulldog Inspector
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Steve,

I believe the problem is the "agent" page. "We will not kill your deal". It truly sounds like you are going to minimize EVERYTHING, no matter how bad it might be.
    Regarding my "Agent page" and the message that "I will not kill your deal":

I explain the good points to the home

If I told someone that their house was falling apart and it was crap, what do you think this would do for my business, my relationship with the client and my relationship with the realtors

. Very simply put, this is what I mean by "I will not kill your deal"

You have to keep in mind that I speak with each Realtor and get this point across to them.

I am proud to set a higher standard.

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    what's that saying about throwing gasoline on ... ?
    So 1600 items, average inspection 2.5 hours (as per his website) so someone help me with the math on this ... does that work out to 13 seconds per item? Awesome inspection!

My website is no joke and I take the information very seriously (I personally wrote every word of it)...

I've been doing this for 5 years now, have done over 1400 inspections
    bashing those who've come to truly understand their role in the real estate process,

let me continue to work toward elevating this wonderful industry

By the way, I'll still be publishing articles at realtytimes.com

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Larson View Post
    Steve,

You do realize that you advertise yourself as a NACHI member but indeed are not?

As least according to your click to verify seal on you web pages.

That's not ethical to me.
    Could some of the Anti Licensing Gentlemen explain (again) why there is not a need?

Aaron Miller Guest

Could some of the Anti Licensing Gentlemen explain (again) why there is not a need?
    Billy:

I think this shining example of "begging to be licensed" will kill their argument entirely.

Aaron

Aaron Miller Guest

Steve:

I had some things to tend to last evening and see now that I missed the party. If it's not too late, I'll just join right in . . .

I already had an entire armory at my command just given the content of your website and your articles archived at realtytime.com. You have now given me yet more information that is both damning and a veritable hand grenade in your face. But, I will not resort to pulling the pin, just yet.

I said all of the things I did in order to get you to come out and play with the folks on this forum. Sure, I don't agree with all of them, and some of them downright despise me (with equal reciprocal disgust from me), but altogether they are a sane lot and representative of inspectors across North America. You are either going to stay around and like them for what they can teach you, or you will run back to Kansas and forever hide beneath the skirts of the agents whose deals you never kill. That's the choice you have here.

If one overlooks the content of your website, it is appealing. If we do not try to understand what is being said in your articles, they are not inflammatory. But what is writing, Steve? It should be communication. One person telling a story to another or others in order to have a shared experience. Once we begin to take a closer look at what you have written it is clear that you do not understand many things, not the least important of which is that words have power.

Along with the right to write comes the responsibility to write the truth. Powerful tools such as words in the hands of a fool are a dangerous thing. Words have the ability to persuade, to incite people to action. That's why you came here to defend yourself. A couple of us took issue with the way you flaunt your lack of understanding of ethics as they pertain to this profession. As soon as you read these things you were compelled to respond. Why? They were, after all, just words. Just symbols, but powerful ones.

Some of the responsibilities you have as a professional inspector go beyond the obvious. You (we) are in a unique position to manage the expectations of nearly everyone involved in the real estate sales transaction. Though we represent the smallest in number of any of the individual entities, e.g. lenders, brokers, agents, appraisers, surveyors, et al., we have the penultimate position in the chain of actions leading to the close of escrow. It is at the juncture of our pronouncements that the buyer makes his or her decision regarding the purchase of the property. Powerful stuff that comes with a price tag: the responsibility to be ethical beyond reproach.

Your pandering to agents and your obvious lack of credentials aside, you may be a really nice guy. I don't know you. I only know the face that you display through your writing. Once again, it's in the writing that the power to persuade me as to who you are lies. If you don't like the picture that your writing conjures up about the person behind it, then change what you write. If, on the other hand, the picture is an accurate one, that is, if you feel that you have written the truth, then the problem goes much deeper. It may require you to make some changes in the writer.

As a professional, assuming that you place yourself in that category, your job in its most literal sense is to profess. That means to declare or avow what you know of a particular subject, in this case home inspection. The term "professional" also implies that you are an acknowledged expert in your field. People listen to experts. Their words have power. Many people use the term to denote someone who is honest and ethical in their dealings within their field of endeavor. They look to professionals for expert guidance to navigate what for them are uncharted waters. It is your (our) responsibility to deal with these people in a manner that lacks even the appearance of unethical behavior.

With all of this in mind, revisit your website and the articles you have written. Try to read them from the point of view of the intended end user instead of viewing them as mere marketing tools for pecuniary gain. The folks on this forum that have spoken out against your writings do not agree with your tactics. They are not, as you infer, in some manner jealous of your abilities, position, skill level, whatever. Don't kid yourself, you are simply not that good. They simply resent having their profession misrepresented by someone like yourself.

We, as inspectors, can blame the media, the brokers, the agents, the state licensing authorities, or any other number of entities and things for our lack of status. The blame lies with us. Some of us do not take the time to do the necessary introspection prior to meeting the public with our writings or our spoken words. The rest of us will sit back idly and allow the few to misrepresent us. We are all at fault. But this can change.

It will never change by waiting for the "powers that be" in the form of state agencies or HI organizations to act. It will change only when we begin to police ourselves. So Steve, luring you out of hiding there in Kansas was merely an attempt to put you on trial in this forum. It is the only court that counts. The court of public opinion. If you don't like the verdict, it's too bad. It cannot be appealed. All of the pleading you can muster up will not change a thing. The changes that must be made must be made by you.

You have been convicted of bullshitting, plain and simple. Your sentence: stop doing it. Amend your ways. Suck it up and become the professional that you hold yourself out as and intend to be. Get some credentials. Use your position in your local real estate community as a bully pulpit for real change, and I don't mean nickles and dimes here.

Continue with things as you have been and you will be hearing from us again, and again, and again . . .

Thanks,

Aaron

Like I said before, I think the disclaimer is pretty standard - and a lot like mine.

As far as looking at 1600 things? I'm not sure how to count stuff I look at, but I remember when I was using the ITA reports, I counted all the check boxes I "could" check and there were more than a thousand. And I think if we really think about it, when we are inspecting, are you really only looking at one thing at a time?

For instance, when we walk up to a house and look up.....in a couple seconds we have looked at the overhead service drop, the trees hitting the roof, the gutters and downspouts, a brief look at the shingles and maybe scanned the ridge too, glanced at the chimney, then brought the eyes down and looked at the siding. In less time than it took me to type this, I could have "looked" at a dozen or more things.

I have a real problem with someone that has mis-information in their advertising, such as being licensed when they are not, belonging to....when they are not.

Personally, I have a problem with people that suck up to Realtors and give the impression they are working for them and NOT their clients. The "I won't kill your deal" is just way over the top to me. Prime suck up and in my view gives the impression that he is not working for his client, but to please the Realtor.

That said..a man is free to run his business how he pleases as long as it is legal, and/or within the code of ethics of any organization he belongs to. Just like atty's have those that chase car wrecks, or underhanded car dealers, or well, just about any profession has their own bottom feeders and low lifes.
    JF

Aaron Miller Guest

That said..a man is free to run his business how he pleases
    Jack:

Maybe. But others are also free to critique those who slander their shared profession through mindless endeavor. A man will continue in the error of his ways if no one ever takes the time to show him at least the possibility of a better way. That's what being human is about: mentoring one another.

Aaron

Jim Hime Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    I have a real problem with someone that has mis-information in their advertising, such as being licensed when they are not, belonging to....when they are not.

The "I won't kill your deal" is just way over the top to me. Prime suck up and in my view gives the impression that he is not working for his client, but to please the Realtor.JF
    Well, that's pretty obvious Jack. I would assume that an intelligent buyer would read that would run. But, when all my inspections come from agents who cares? It doesn't take rocket science to figure out when a problem develops and a copy of web site pages are wavied in front of a jury how that dog will end up. The referring agent now has liability for a negligent referral under their E&O as the commission became more important than the good of the public. People in states with licensing requirements know that.

There's no need to discuss ethics if there aren't any.

Steve, this is a tough board. There are a lot of hard core professionals and strong personalities here. This is a peer group where people get a lot of help from each other and get called out on BS.
    I don't know you or what type of inspections you really do. What I do know is that your website (and recent posts) are easy pickings to poke at you.
    Your website is beautiful. Congratulations to you, your wife or whoever had the marketing skills to put it together. It is an extremely well done marketing tool. I don't think I could actually put some of that information out there without laughing or puking though. Some of it is over the top.
    People on this board however, view your site far differently than the public. There are many negative indicators on your site that raise concern and suspicion about the quality and ethical standards that you may or may not adhere to.
    Many of us have realtor contacts and get referrals, that's normal. When I guy clearly panders to the RE community as you appear to, that really raises concerns about the quality of inspection. Maybe KC is some sort of utopia where realtors act different but as evidenced by posts on this board, around the rest of the country, relationships between realtors and inspectors are somewhat strained. They don't get paid if the deal doesn't close.
    Teaching classes to realtors, I won't kill your deal, link to their website on your page all smells of sleeping together. Who are you really serving?
    People on this board jealous of you, no that's too easy of an out. Your site raises too many red flags for the rest of us in the profession.
    If you are the stand up guy you claim, how about:
    - reinstate NACHI or remove their logo from your site within 24 hours.
    - explain that 85/15 % figure, how is it that so many suck with you around to guide them.
    - a hold harmless for realtors in your contract, Really? explain that one please.
    - in your exclusions it states, 'electrical circuits' can you define that please? Just curious what that means. You don't remove the panel cover and look at anything, don't match wire/breaker sizes, etc.
    I don't think anyone here is looking to hurt you or your business. We're just curious.
    Markus

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC

Aaron Miller Guest

If you are the stand up guy you claim, how about:
    - reinstate NACHI or remove their logo from your site within 24 hours.
    - explain that 85/15 % figure, how is it that so many suck with you around to guide them.
    - a hold harmless for realtors in your contract, Really? explain that one please.
    - in your exclusions it states, 'electrical circuits' can you define that please? Just curious what that means. You don't remove the panel cover and look at anything, don't match wire/breaker sizes, etc.
    I don't think anyone here is looking to hurt you or your business.
    Marcus:

Agreed.

Plus:

(1) Stop writing articles for the realtytimes that do not reflect the real world. I mean our real world, not just yours.
    (2) Get rid of the passing the baton thing. That one really b-l-o-w-s.
    (3) Lose the "will not kill your deal" phrase. This is transparent.
    (4) Eliminate the realtor training. What's this crap anyway? How many realtors give classes for inspectors on selling houses? Even if there are a couple out there somewhere in the fray, how many real inspectors would attend? Get real!
    (5) Stop doing builder warranty inspections or any other new construction related inspections you may be doing. Kansas has adopted IRC statewide. You carry no IRC credentials. You are not qualified.
    (6) Get some real (not Walmart) credentials and keep them.
    (7) Keep the 5-Star Service Guarantee. Good idea.
    (8) Run spell check on your site. Three times.
    (9) Take those stupid glasses off of Mack's mug. Shades might be cool.
    (10) Don't take these criticisms personal. Just clean up your act. Potential means nothing if not cultivated.

If even thinking about doing any of the above makes you wince, suck it up. Growth and change are sometimes painful.

Aaron

Jim Hime Guest

An average 2.5 hour inspection? I've never heard of that or done one of those.

It takes about an hour just to get out of a kitchen in a lot of places with state licensing with state standards; especially down in Texas. One a day is the norm for the professional inspectors.

Steve Rodriguez Guest

Hi guys,

This is the wife of the bulldog "Steve". I have read all of the posts and with much embarrasement read through each one. At first I was embarrassed for the people writing the posts...my goodness you all should be ashamed of yourselves for name calling and acting like the very thing you are trying to stand up against.

After reading the last few more rational posts, I realize that Steve does need to change a few things in his website. I do believe that we whole heartedly were trying to convey our loyalty to our clients as well as our agents...however if you are just reading the Agent page then you will only see one side.

The term "We will not kill your deal" is a little harsh and can definitely be misconstrued. This is a term that Steve heard often from his mentor "Ken Compton". This term in my opinion needs to be clarified if used, however since the recent debate I believe it can be taken out all together and can still keep the integrity of our website.

Steve has the tendency to come across arrogant. He has a colorful background, 10 years in the US Navy as an Engineer as well as 5 years on Wallstreet as a commodities broker. He is very technical in his wording because of this.

Steve has been the home inspector that has killed more deals then you can count in the beginning because of his more then perfect personality. That is why he tried to take a different approach and listen to Ken Compton and keep the same wording but position it differently with his tone.

I do agree that using ASHI standards when you are not ASHI certified is ridiculous and needs to be taken off immediatly. I also was very unaware that our membership had just ended with NACHI which is being updated today. When you are a one man show, running 2 to 3 inspections a day these things can happen, but it doesn't justify letting it go this long.

I do appreciate the mentorship..if that is what you would like to call it. I do believe it could of been delivered in a better manner. Steve and I both are very professional and understanding people. If someone would of simply emailed us with their concerns we would of taken an objective look and made changes where necessary.

I just hope you all know that if anyone googles your name or the name of your company, your posts will come up. I would recommend that if you said anything slandering or not becoming of your true personality that you make changes where appropriate. I know that if I were a couple of you I would be embarrassed if my potential client read these posts.

To the more rational side. Thank you for laying it all out. I think Steve and I both get upset when someone is taking our company and bashing it so harshly.

Don't knock the mascot..it is from our Late bulldog Mack who recently passed away. My husband wears classes that are just like the ones on the mascot. The mascot is dressed the way Steve dresses. Sunglasses would be cool, however it doesn't really fit with Steve and his personality.

As far as Realtor classes, this is CE accredited courses.

I think we all should move on. If you have any more problems please email steve at steve@bulldoginspect.com...he would gladly discuss anything with you and answer any concerns that you have as will I.

Leslie Rodriguez

And if you're also offended by the content, then work smart enough to place yourself in the 15% and out of the 85% (which is where you clearly place yourself, otherwise you wouldn't be offended).
    And just how can you justify a percentage like this? Do you have any sources you can cite?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

If I found a home that had foundation failure I would tell the client in a professional tone that "Very simply put, this is what I mean by "I will not kill your deal"
    In the words of Walter Jowers, Sweet baby Jesus!

Please tell me and everyone else what this means: the foundation is seccumbing to the hydrostatic pressures of the ground on the other side and we have to call a structural engineer. It isn't a big deal they are usually pretty cheap and they will tell you exactly how it should be repaired".

It is just gobbledygook! Have you even looked up what Hydrostatic means?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Hi guys,

This is the wife of the bulldog "Steve".
    I do agree that using ASHI standards when you are not ASHI certified is ridiculous and needs to be taken off immediatly. I also was very unaware that our membership had just ended with NACHI which is being updated today. When you are a one man show, running 2 to 3 inspections a day these things can happen, but it doesn't justify letting it go this long.
    Why not just join ASHI? And if ASHI is not your cup of tea, why not say that you use INACHI Standards. One should be proud of their professional organization or they should not belong to it. Support what you belive!

I just hope you all know that if anyone googles your name or the name of your company, your posts will come up. I would recommend that if you said anything slandering or not becoming of your true personality that you make changes where appropriate. I know that if I were a couple of you I would be embarrassed if my potential client read these posts.
    Yes, this is very true. One of the reasons many are embarrassed to post their affiliation with some home inspector organizations.

To the more rational side. Thank you for laying it all out. I think Steve and I both get upset when someone is taking our company and bashing it so harshly.Leslie Rodriguez
    Well, it is what it is. The "bashing" has helped you to see that some things need to be changed! It is better to get the criticism from this discussion board than from an attorney.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Steve Rodriguez Guest

It means that it is a failing foundation. We tell the client that calling a structural engineer isn't a big deal because it is cheap for them to come out and perform and inspection. I didn't say it was cheap for them to repair the problem. I also give a price sheet on the average cost of repairs. In my opinion everything is negotionable. What one person will run from another will not. I work with a lot of investors and a lot of them will not run from a failing foundation if the price is right.

The 15% lingo is from Kencompton.com. That is why it is in my website and I agree with it. I do also believe that if a home inspector is on this site then they are probably part of the 15 %...one would hope. The 15 % is also for states that do not require licensing.

Leslie

Steve Rodriguez Guest

I agree Scott, it is what it is. I would hope that in the future, we as a profession can help each other out and not jump to conclusions that someone is a slimy inspector when they are indeed anything but.

I do appreicate the concern and for the rational side. I believe that we will be better because of the feedback. I just hope that some of you realize that calling people "Bozo" and asking for other inspectors to come along and knock off our block is in my opinion a cowardly response.

We have personally turned down a number of real estate agents that were unethical. There are several realestate offices here in Kansas City that require you pay them to use you as a referral source. I do not have anything to do with these offices. I guess that is why we have been so blunt in our website to get the point across that we will take care of the clients 100% without hurting their reputation. Here lately just about every inspection that we have performed has resulted in the client getting a different home. This didn't kill the deal for the agent, just prolonged it a little. I see nothing wrong with that.

Is that the spin machine at full speed I hear?
    People on this board should be embarrassed? My, isn't that rich.
    Based on the experience of people who work in licensed states, it appears that you may be operating under a potential conflict of interest and that some of your practices might not be legit in licensed states.
    Some of the info on your site appears a bit misleading to other professionals in the HI field.
    You are claiming standards, membership and cert that has been demonstrated to not be valid.
    Who exactly should be embarrassed here?
    I find it interesting that you would mention the idea of googling someone's name for info. I wonder if that's why the bulldog doesn't want to discuss HI in an open forum like some many other inspectors regularly do.
    You are right it is up to the HI industry to patrol itself and that is exactly what has happened here. I don't believe anyone on this board means you or your company any ill will, but your website sure makes it easy to wonder aloud.
    I hope you all do well in KC, for me it's time for a new thread.
    Good luck.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC

It means that it is a failing foundation. We tell the client that calling a structural engineer isn't a big deal because it is cheap for them to come out and perform and inspection. I didn't say it was cheap for them to repair the problem. I also give a price sheet on the average cost of repairs. In my opinion everything is negotionable. What one person will run from another will not. I work with a lot of investors and a lot of them will not run from a failing foundation if the price is right.

The 15% lingo is from Kencompton.com. That is why it is in my website and I agree with it. I do also believe that if a home inspector is on this site then they are probably part of the 15 %...one would hope. The 15 % is also for states that do not require licensing.

Leslie
    I have to ask, who is Ken Compton? Is he a home inspector? Trainer?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

It means that it is a failing foundation.
    Leslie
    Well why not just say that, be upfront with your clients? The wording that you are using is confusing and what is called "Inspectorspeak" or double talk.

Thanks for answering.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Hi guys,

This is the wife of the bulldog "Steve". I have read all of the posts and with much embarrasement

Steve has the tendency to come across arrogant.

I think we all should move on.

Leslie Rodriguez

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Aaron Miller Guest

Leslie:

Keep that boy on a tighter leash, will you?

Aaron

Last edited by Aaron Miller; 05-17-2008 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    I have to ask, who is Ken Compton? Is he a home inspector? Trainer?
    Scott,

My Guess.

Home Inspector Marketing for Inspection Companies

Atlanta GA. Company Certified Inspectors (Licensed & Insured? )

http:Atlanta Home Inspectors | Atlanta Home Inspections

Last edited by Billy Stephens; 04-10-2008 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Atlanta GA

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Scott,

My Guess.

Home Inspector Marketing for Inspection Companies

Atlanta GA. Company Certified Inspectors (Licensed & Insured? )

http:Atlanta Home Inspectors | Atlanta Home Inspections
    Yea, I found that as well... I was phishing!

I love Ken's blog on his website. Last update was September 21, 2007!
    If you listen I think you can hear crickets chirping.....

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post

I love Ken's blog on his website. Last update was September 21, 2007!
    If you listen I think you can hear crickets chirping.....

All Posted By The Administrator with no comments.

How can his Inspectors be Licensed in GA. ?

When does the Law go into effect?

Aaron,
    I think it is really presumptuous of you to tell Steve and Leslie what to put on and take off his website. My gosh, who appointed you web police? A lot of your post sounds like, "if it's not MY way - it's wrong".

As far as realtor training? I teach an 8 hour continuing education class for Realtors and get paid for it. My class has to do with home inspections and not one part of it is a promotion of my company. That part is actually prohibited by my teaching agreement with the school, and the State. What we talk about during lunch break or after class is my own business. I see nothing wrong with providing education, or even doing office presentations if that is part of your marketing plan.

Jim,
    Never heard of a 2.5 hour inspection? Most inspectors only doing one a day?
    I've been doing two a day since 1989. While my average time is probably closer to 3 hours (for the average house), 2.5 hours is not beyond reason. I think the majority of inspectors do two a day (if they can), not one.

Many of you jumped into this with both feet ready to bite Steve's head off - without checking on some facts, or directly communicating with him. I'm not sure how you would feel if someone did the same to you. Maybe pull up your website and then tell you how stupid your company name is, or how un-American your truck/car is, or how ugly you and your spouse are, and how about those kids?

My hats off to Leslie for her response. I would probably tell you to go........
    JF

For the record - the won't kill your deal still bothers me.

Mitchell Meeks Guest

Steve and Leslie, I respect your opinions and I think now you see that are some things that should not be said. I have problems with several items in your website. I always try and look at the opposite side and how they would interpret it. I am also a real estate agent and a general contractor, so I am going to look at it from all sides. While I do not participate a lot in this forum, I do read as much as I can. I have learned a tremendous amount from everyone on this board. The home inspection industry already has a lot of black eyes from the general public and attorneys. We do not need our own doing the same.
    What I mostly see is that you are promising one thing but in your agreement it is totally opposite. While I can not attest to the 85/15 % deal, I hope that you can.

You do have nice website. It is real nice, in my opinion, from the public's perspective. However, I would suggest that you have someone review it very carefully. It really needs to be someone that is on our side. Also an attorney needs to review it. The last thing that you want to do is to contradict yourself and I have seen it already in several places. I realize that you want to stand out from the others and we all know that there are a lot of jacklegs out there but please do not take offense to some of the comments on this board. We are all in this together.

Steve Rodriguez Guest

Hi everyone, Steve here.

I can appreciate you looking out for little-old-me, but let's discuss something.

First, I appreciate your passion, Aaron, you remind me a little of myself. You obviously care dearly for this industry we've chosen to be a part of, however misguided that passion may be (you attract far more bees with honey, remember?).

Anyway, I'd like to take a second and address your laundry list of requests since you seem to have the pulse of the group:

1. Don't even think I'll stop writing for RealtyTimes. My articles are correct, topical, and relevant. Just because you don't like the content, doesn't make you right. You need to do your own research on the subjects and stop being so alarmist and subjective. I've already called the managing editor of RealtyTimes and discussed what's happening and she assured me that this will have zero impact on their eagerness to have me publish again. Expect it.

2. I'm not gong to entertain the idea of taking off the "pass the baton" line. Are we not a part of nearly evey transaction? Do they not refer inspectors they trust? What's that mean? The same thing that line says...just in my own way.

3. I'm not going to remove the "I won't kill your deal' line. I've never been accused of being closer-friendly (which is what you're really saying), but I won't kill a deal, either. Killing a deal is a matter of communication, connection, word choice and the tonality you use to say those words (whew...but you beat that horse, didn't you?). My information is understood, clear, accurate, and not watered down. I understand what I mean and now you understand what I mean. Let it go. I've never had a client complain about me or my service (which would be the obvious outcome if what you believe to be true, is in fact true, but isn't), have never even had the words lawsuit mentioned in my direction, so stop chomping at the bit to see it happen.

4. Realtor training. You've completely missed the mark on that one, pal. I provide training and CE classes to real estate agents on the topics listed on that page. You've somehow managed to take your feelings toward me and twist the intention of that page into what you thought it was, which is something I'm still not clear on.

5. I don't need IRC certification to do 11 month warranty inspections. I'm not doing new construction phase inspections. Great point you tried to make, but invalid.

6. Not sure what you mean there. If you're referring to my NACHI renewal, go back & check it out...you were right & it's done.

7. Thank You

8. Tell me where you found the errors and I'll gladly have my website guy fix it (and how and the world did you know I have exactly 3 errors? Did you scan every line of my site?) - you seriously need to get a day job, Aaron.

9. My "Ask Mack" Mack is set in stone. It's a faq page so it makes sense.

10. I appreciate your concern for my fragile feelings. I don't take you guys personally because I'm seriously not trying to impress any of you. The heated replies on here are so off-the-wall that it makes me laugh. I can't believe you've all flattered me so much by offering up your time, energy, and rather creative colloquy.

"You know what they say...you aren't really marketing if people aren't mad at you"

Your Local Maverick

By the way, I was in the middle of writing when some far more rational posts appeared...Thank You guys for not going immediately into the crouch position. I may be misunderstood and bruised from all the shoving, but I'm definitely not out.

Last edited by Steve Rodriguez; 04-10-2008 at 10:57 PM.

Aaron Miller Guest

My articles are correct . . . Expect it . . . I'm not gong to entertain the idea of taking off the "pass the baton" line . . . I'm not going to remove the "I won't kill your deal' line. I've never been accused of being closer-friendly . . . I provide training and CE classes to real estate agents . . . I don't need IRC certification . . . Not sure what you mean there . . . Thank You . . . is set in stone . . . so it makes sense . . . it makes me laugh . . . You know what they say . . . I may be misunderstood and bruised . . . but I'm definitely . . . out.
    Well Steve, I guess you've about summed it up have you? An empathetic psychopath you seem to be. What I refer to as psycho-pathetic.

Enjoy your life in Oz,

Aaron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast