Thread: Ground wires

william siegel Guest

Default Ground wires

Thoughts guys. Here are two separate ground wires pigtailed on a connector and then connected to the ground bar. Contractor says it is correct. I say no. Who is right.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Ground wires

That's always been the preferred method with load conductors as opposed to a double tapped breaker. Assuming it doesn't overload the circuit (a grand assumption, I realize).

Are there no more open slots on the ground bus? Yes, it would be better to have each wire attached to the bus but I can't say it's 'wrong' the way it's done.

I'd never call it out.... it's approaching splitting hairs.... jmo

Default Re: Ground wires

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    That's always been the preferred method with load conductors as opposed to a double tapped breaker. Assuming it doesn't overload the circuit (a grand assumption, I realize).
    That works well because the overcurrent device is in the circuit, thus, regardless how many #12 wires you have, you are protected at 20 amps maximum though the total of them, and through the one of them.

Not a problem there.

Are there no more open slots on the ground bus? Yes, it would be better to have each wire attached to the bus but I can't say it's 'wrong' the way it's done.
    I would say it is wrong in that two or more grounds 'could easily be' from more than one circuit, thereby *not* having one breaker to protect against overcurrent for any given conductor.

Most ground bars now allow up to two (some even three, but only is so stated) ground wires in the same terminal hole if the same size and same material (copper).

I'd let them 'do it right' and eliminate the wire nut. *IF* the wire nut was only used to allow each to be made longer, that would not be a problem, but putting two into one 'could be'.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Richard Abrams Guest

Cool Re: Ground wires

Electrician is right This junction is made in an approved junction box.