Thread: VTR flashings

Jerome W. Young Guest

Default VTR flashings

This roof has a smooth modified underlayment, tiles are fastened on to battens. The flashings here are on top and below the tile. What are the guidlines for this? 90# felt under tile ... less than that it goes over over tile or something like that?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: VTR flashings

Jerome,

Your second photo, was that taken at the drip edge?

If so, it looks like you have an old System 1 roof with a 43# base sheet and the system is an "unsealed" type (note the lack of sealant along the drip edge).

If that is the case, then the flashings are to be on top of the tile, but larger flashings are used, which go up under the tile above and cover the entire tile below, extending out to the side further.

With System 1 tile roofs, the tile *IS* the water proof covering. any broken or loose tile (such as the one you lifted up) are "roof leaks".

How old is that roof? I know they had pretty much stopped using System 1 tile roofs in South Florida in the mid 1980's to early 1990s. They were still installing those System 1 tile roofs in Central Florida into the late 1990 and maybe even later.

Most have now wised up and no longer install the System 1 tile roofs as they are prone to becoming "leakers" sooner rather than later.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Aaron Miller Guest

Jerome:

I'm sure that Jerry will peck this to death, but I'll give it a shot. I assum that these are concrete tiles. To begin with it must comply with the manufacturer's instructions. Beyond that some municipalities here specify other things like stainless flashings that are SBC type or alternate ASTM alternatives sealed with urethane caulking or the like.

I don't like urethane because it loses its flexibility too soon. Other low modulus sealants are better. Stainless flashing is overkill on a residential application, depending of course on the price.

Most manufactuers allow 26-gauge galvanized, 2.5 lb. lead or dead soft aluminum.

Most manufactuers allow ASTM D226 Type II (No. 30 Felt) (ASTM D4869
    Type IV), or approved equal for underlayment.

More stuff at:

http://www.tileroofing.org/uploadedF...a%20Manual.pdf

Aaron

Jerome W. Young Guest

Thanks! Jerry 2001 home. I recommended aroof review it for the excesively loose tile and make repairs at the vtr's. Hopefully he picks up on the system 1 roof.