Default Circuit Analyzers

I have been using my trusty Suretest 61-165 for a year and a half. Lately I've been silently whining that with the cord and the slight delay for the warmup, maybe I should look at something else...lighter and quicker and more manageable.

I've been looking at the 61-059. It looks like it will do all I need (the 165 does so much more than an HI needs).

Anyone in my shoes? Anyone use the 059 (or 058)?

What say the gallery?

Bruce

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance
    Bruce Thompson, Lic. #9199
    www.TylerHomeInspector.com
    Home Inspections in the Tyler and East Texas area

Default Re: Circuit Analyzers

Heeeellllloooooooooooo.....

heeeellloooooo

heeelllloooo

heellooo

Aaron Miller Guest

Bruce:

It's Saturday and half past Margarita time in Big D. I'll have to get back to you on the Sure Test thing. Last report's out and thinking about Patron and fajitas. BBQ's hot, gotta go . . .

It's a sure thing,

Aaron

David Banks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JB Thompson View Post
    I have been using my trusty Suretest 61-165 for a year and a half. Lately I've been silently whining that with the cord and the slight delay for the warmup, maybe I should look at something else...lighter and quicker and more manageable.

I've been looking at the 61-059. It looks like it will do all I need (the 165 does so much more than an HI needs).

Anyone in my shoes? Anyone use the 059 (or 058)?

What say the gallery?

Bruce
    I have the 61-165 also and I know what you mean about the slight delay but I am willing to live with it. I do like to check for voltage drop and volts just to make sure nothing really screwy going on. Plus I have caught a couple of false grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by David Banks View Post
    I have the 61-165 also and I know what you mean about the slight delay but I am willing to live with it. I do like to check for voltage drop and volts just to make sure nothing really screwy going on. Plus I have caught a couple of false grounds.
    Yeah, I like that part too. But looking at other message boards has me shying away from reporting the voltage drop unless it is extremely excessive; I have fairly banal prepared text for my report. I don't use it too much.

FYI, I have caught a lot of false grounds and outlets without a ground, but I found that if you unplug the 165 (I usually do it where the cord connects to the unit) wait a pause and replug it in, the false or no-ground condition disappears. Since I discovered that, I have had virtually no false ground readings or no ground readings. Secondly, and you may already know this, the instructions mention if you're within so many feet of the panel (15' I think) that it will give you a false ground reading too. It was also very frustrating when the middle ground light would not light on outlets I knew were grounded.

I did purchase and receive the 059 unit. It is much smaller, lights instantly and trips GFCI much faster (if it's proper) than the 165. I'm wondering, if I were to add up the time difference spent waiting on the device at each outlet, how much would I gain?

Anyway, the ability to use the 059 one-handed is great.

Thanks,
    Bruce

How is the light on the 059? I have trouble seeing the red LED on my sure test when I'm outside. I also wish it could rotate, for when people install the plugs upside down.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

David Banks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JB Thompson View Post
    Yeah, I like that part too. But looking at other message boards has me shying away from reporting the voltage drop unless it is extremely excessive; I have fairly banal prepared text for my report. I don't use it too much.

FYI, I have caught a lot of false grounds and outlets without a ground, but I found that if you unplug the 165 (I usually do it where the cord connects to the unit) wait a pause and replug it in, the false or no-ground condition disappears. Since I discovered that, I have had virtually no false ground readings or no ground readings. Secondly, and you may already know this, the instructions mention if you're within so many feet of the panel (15' I think) that it will give you a false ground reading too. It was also very frustrating when the middle ground light would not light on outlets I knew were grounded.

I did purchase and receive the 059 unit. It is much smaller, lights instantly and trips GFCI much faster (if it's proper) than the 165. I'm wondering, if I were to add up the time difference spent waiting on the device at each outlet, how much would I gain?

Anyway, the ability to use the 059 one-handed is great.

Thanks,
    Bruce
    A while back I found 15-19% voltage drop in a new construction. If that high I feel obligated to report it. And did. Builders electrician called freaking about the solution. He admitted he used Stab type receptacles. They also had screws so I told him to try an experiment and switch to the screws. He seemed reluctant. It was also a 4000 sq ft house and length of run may be an issue as he ran all #14 wire.
    Builder called complaining a couple of times and I told him more and more HI would be testing with the Sure test. In the end the builder called and said he and electrician learned something and in the future will not use stab type receptacles and on long runs use #12 wire.
    Voltage drop is a Fine Print Notes issue in NEC. Not enforceable but fine print says 5% drop will provide reasonable efficiency of operation.
    As Jerry Peck says to his clients something like Will you be satisfied without reasonable efficiency of operation? Or Mr quality builder are you happy without reasonable efficiency of operation? Here is a good link.
    http://www.mikeholt.com/documents/ca...oltageDrop.pdf

Anyone know if 2008 NEC has made Voltage Drop an enforceable issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
    How is the light on the 059? I have trouble seeing the red LED on my sure test when I'm outside. I also wish it could rotate, for when people install the plugs upside down.
    I'll let you know. I just got it Thursday and haven't had the chance to use it other than playing with it around my house.

I hadn't thought of the upside down thing. Good eye.

B

Quote Originally Posted by David Banks View Post
    A while back I found 15-19% voltage drop in a new construction. If that high I feel obligated to report it. And did. Builders electrician called freaking about the solution. He admitted he used Stab type receptacles. They also had screws so I told him to try an experiment and switch to the screws. He seemed reluctant. It was also a 4000 sq ft house and length of run may be an issue as he ran all #14 wire.
    Builder called complaining a couple of times and I told him more and more HI would be testing with the Sure test. In the end the builder called and said he and electrician learned something and in the future will not use stab type receptacles and on long runs use #12 wire.
    Voltage drop is a Fine Print Notes issue in NEC. Not enforceable but fine print says 5% drop will provide reasonable efficiency of operation.
    As Jerry Peck says to his clients something like Will you be satisfied without reasonable efficiency of operation? Or Mr quality builder are you happy without reasonable efficiency of operation? Here is a good link.
    http://www.mikeholt.com/documents/ca...oltageDrop.pdf
    Good info and it doesn't have to be a big house for voltage drop. I've found that much on smaller houses. I may come up with another plan using both suretests. thanks.