Kevin VanderWarf Guest

Default Agents inspector missed a bunch.

I encountered one of the most structural deficient homes in my 7 years of inspecting this past Friday.

The home had already been inspected by the "realtor's choice" inspector who said the home was in good condition and found no problems other than some bare sub-floor that had not yet been covered.

I happened along in the middle of the deal at the request of the mortgage co. who needed a rural development inspection. This usually concentrates on windows, doors, insulation and any issues that just jumps out at you(real obvious stuff).

While walking around the place I noticed that the rear roof sagged toward the middle.

When I walked in the rear door, I noticed that all of the floors seemed to slope toward the center.

When I went in the attic, I found a main beam (you guessed it) in the center, that had been eaten away by termites. Now, I sometimes find termite damage that the pros(termite pros) don't find, but I'm still no expert, however; I don't recall ever finding termites in the attic without serious infiltration in the crawl space.

When I got to the crawl space, the whole front seal had been infested. As I made my way around the crawl space I saw more little termite trails than I had ever seen.

Every joist was sagging toward the center, the whole freakin place was sagging.
    I suspect termites were in the walls and floors.

O.K. that was enough, but he also missed major duct work issues. The entire duct system should be replaced.
    Not one of the circuits in the panel had a romex connector as it entered the panel.
    The plumbing was not even tied in to the kitchen............etc.................

But yet this agents inspector said the home was fine.

The only home in 7 years that I crawled out from under and said don't buy it, is the same home that he said had no problems.

That my friends, is what weakens the integrity of our profession.
    If part of your character is to B.S. people, sell cars or something (houses maybe) but for God sake leave inspecting to honest people.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Tim Moreira Guest

Default Re: Agents inspector missed a bunch.

I wonder what the buyers would have thought if they trusted the other inspector and bought the place?

This inspector is just waiting to be sued. Probably does not care. Most likely no insurance and 10 bucks in the corporate account. Sue him and he closes shop, opens another corporation, files for the same fictitious name as before and he's back in business without even having to make up new brochures.

Sad but ofter true.

PS: I would have liked to have seen the seller's disclosure on the house. Probably nothing noted. Seller: "I've never noticed any problems"

Reminds me of one I inspected many years ago.

The floors all sagged toward the center, and a peek in under the crawlspace told me why. (No way was I going in there, that house was ready to fall in on itself.)

I stood up on my ladder and looked into the attic and down the exterior walls ... wait a minute ... *I AM* "looking down into" the exterior walls ... should not be able to do that ... *NO* studs, *NO* top plates, *NO* anything, it was all eaten away by the termites.

I was looking at the inside of the exterior stucco and the inside of the interior plaster. Literally, the stucco and plaster is what was holding that house up ... that and the termites holding hands, no way would it have kept standing if two termites had gotten mad at each other and let go.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Tim Moreira Guest

What did we say one of the benifits to the metal studs on the other thread was?

Joseph P. Hagarty Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin VanderWarf View Post

The home had already been inspected by the "realtor's choice" inspector who said the home was in good condition and found no problems other than some bare sub-floor that had not yet been covered....

Did you have the opportunity to review the alleged report that you have suggested was provided to the Client?

Kevin VanderWarf Guest

"Did you have the opportunity to review the alleged report"

No, not yet. Due to the buyers choosing to walk away and my being really busy, I decided to put my report on the back burner until midweek. But when I deliver my report I'll see if they will email a copy of his.

I bet your thinking, no way did this guy botch an inspection that bad,
    I was thinking that the whole time. The client said that she went home and pulled his report up and reviewed it again. It's like he inspected some other house.

Michael Greenwalt Guest

It is unfortunate that our profession is plagued by these so called inspectors. We have one in our area that is also a code enforcement official for a local small town. An attorney contacted me after a clients original inspection before the sale, and after a subsequent inspection by a licensed structural engineer (Post client $15,000+ repair bill). Nothing out of the ordinary was noted by the inspection report or engineer, and the biggest thing the clients remembered from the inspection was the guttering. After crawling in the crawlspace (clearly not done previously by either) I saw daylight in many areas between the sill plate, and the foundation. In a 3 feet vertical run the foundation walls had moven inwards over 12 inches at the top and was supporting NOTHING.
    And he is also THE preferred inspector for many of our local agencies. But I sleep at night.

Last edited by Michael Greenwalt; 04-16-2007 at 02:25 PM. Reason: spelling, darn

Jeffrey Mathis Guest

I was eating dinner in a restaurant one evening when a seller's agent called me an lit into me over my report to the buyer. She had a pre-listing inspection done and wondered why I had it in for their agency.
    I noted the home had a history of water problems in the crawl space and she went off on how I could possibly know something like that.
    Well, since 60% of the crawl was inaccessible due to standing water and since 60% of the framing had been repaired 4 years ago after my previous inspection, I felt pretty comfortable with my report.
    Her only response was: "Well, I guess that's just more attack against our agency." Bless her little heart.
    Jeff Mathis

Bruce Thomas Guest

Just wanted to track this thread, Can't figure out how to do it without posting. Pardon the drift.

Bruce

Bruce - Go to "Thread Tools" (above, right) menu and click on "Subscribe to this Thread".

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Tony Escamilla Guest

Wink Re: Agents inspector missed a bunch.

Kevin,

It's a shame that there are "inspectors" out there who do this type of thing. It gives the rest of us a bad name. But I guess that's true in any industry. Just do your job right and stick to your guns when the sh** hits the fan. If you're right, you're right!

I had on today, which I know will kill the deal when I turn in the report. The house is literally fallen (not falling) off the foundation. Can't wait to hear from the agents on this one : )