Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brian Cooper Guest

Default What do you carry?

I've been re-thinking what I carry on the inspection. I'm using a two pocket nail pouch with my camera, outlet tester, moisture meter, screwdrivers, a mini mag light and a full size mag light. I also carry a few spare batteries for the camera, a backup outlet tester, and some pens in the clip board. I'm not happy with my pouch.

What do you carry, and what do you have in it? I found that I have streamlined down to the bare essentials in my pouch, and the other stuff stays in the car with my ladder.

I go back to the car to put on my coveralls and knee pads for crawl spaces...

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

David Banks Guest

Default Re: What do you carry?

I also have a 2 pocket pouch on my belt that I carry Stanley 25 ft tape, Awl, Sure test, Infrared thermometer,Tic tracer, and neon tester.Stream light holder on my belt also. The rest I carry with me in a tool bag. moisture meter, N95 masks, cordless screwdriver, extra screwdrivers and bits, extra flashlights and batteries,knife, voltage tester, pressure gage, Binoculars. Leave the crawl space stuff in car.

I've got a small, multiple pocket pouch on a tool belt and in it I have:

awl
    2 digital thermometers (with magnets on them)
    hand-sized l.e.d. flashlight - wonderfully bright
    telescoping mirror (don't use too much)
    a magnet with different screwdriver bits attached to it
    CO detector clipped to the pouch

Also on the belt, in their own separate pouches, I have:

Suretest 61-165
    IR thermometer
    camera (couple of extra batteries in the bottom of the case)

Tape measure on the belt too. Hand towel around the neck (I perspire profusely - in case you wanted to know) plus it's great for keeping my hands dry when I'm testing/filling sinks and tubs.

I just bought a Suretest 61-059 (got it Thursday). I'm going to switch it out for the bigger 61-165 and see if I like it better for size and speed of operation.

When not in use, the tool belt rides in a tool bag that also has a 4" ball, house slippers (for being considerate), Ryobi small vacuum (sucking up attic insulation), and my latest cordless screwdriver BOSCH PS20-2 10.8V Litheon Pocket Driver With 2 Batteries - Toolup.com}
    It's GREAT and light and one battery lasts a very long time.

Crawl stuff, ladder, binoculars, extra towels, sniffers -- out in the truck.

I, too, have been trying to figure out how to get small/efficient. Working on different things. Having fun.

Wow, that's a long post. Hope this helps someone.

Bruce

Bruce Thompson, Lic. #9199
    www.TylerHomeInspector.com
    Home Inspections in the Tyler and East Texas area

Also, meant to ask if anyone has thought about or is carrying a longer probing device other than an awl. It could be used for pushing smoke detector test buttons or using it like the picture in the ad below.

I found one here:

Tool Experts- Your Choice For Home Inspection Tools And Testing NeedsÂ*::Â*Monthly SpecialsÂ*::Â*Probe It

Not keen about paying $25 bucks for it; however, like the telescopic effect. You know: packs small, plays big!

Any thoughts?

B

I carry in a 3 pouch tool belt. Stinger rechargable flashlite, 4 way screwdriver, voltage tester, outlet tester w/ gfci button, moisture meter, magnets, small compass, knife,camera, digital recorder and ir thermometer and golf ball for bouncing on large tiled areas to test for loose tiles instead of crawling around. Saves your knuckles and knees. Also good to show clients how level their floors are.
    For a probe I use a cut off 3wood iron golf shaft with a masonry bit epoxied into the end. 3$ at goodwill stores everywhere. Pipe cut the head off and your in business.No bending down required for low decayed areas and can reach 3 feet above extended arm. Good for knocking down cobwebs in teh crawl and to kneel on in a pinch. Also good for keeping cats and brokers at bay.

Photographer vest works great for me. I'm not a fan of the tool bags, but use whatever you're comfortable with. I use an old pool cue stick to test the high smokies.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
    Photographer vest works great for me. I'm not a fan of the tool bags, but use whatever you're comfortable with. I use an old pool cue stick to test the high smokies.
    old pool cues and golf clubs...interesting

I really like the vest idea too, but having this supernatural ability to sweat in a snowstorm is going to limit me there.

Maybe if I inspected without a shirt.... Nah, I'd lose too much business.

Bruce

I carry only a flashlight on a cop ring and the camera in a open pouch that clips on the belt.
    Everything else except crawl gear is in a step stool tool box that I have had for over 10 years.
    The tool box has all the screw drivers, meters, thermometers, shower drain plug, spare flashlight, etc.
    The tool box goes to the kitchen where all the appliances get started first and then I grab what I need for each stage of the inspection.
    It keeps me from going back and forth to the truck and the step stool gets me by without a ladder on the interior most of the time.
    I do wind up with tools stuck in my pockets, but that is still not as heavy as a tool belt, and is easier to maneuver in tight quarters.
    I wish I could find another one of these boxes, since it is plastic and is showing its age, but I have looked at every tool store I have come across in the last 5 years and I have not been able to find another.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Camera on my belt, maglite on my belt with a power-tool clip (the closed circular maglite holster takes too long to get the light in and out of), screw drivers and awl in one back pocket, tape recorder in the other. voltage sniffer in my front right pocket, three-prong outlet and 'wiggie' tester in my front left pocket, binoculars around my neck while outside.

All the crawl gear, pliers and other tools that I don't use much are in my truck. Sometimes, having an excuse to go the the truck can be a blessing

I keep my tool gadget bag in the kitchen. Everything that I need I have found that I can fit nicely in my pants pockets. If it is a big house I use a fanny pack that I sling over my shoulder to hold a few more tools. If I find I need my tape measure I go back and get it, I mean just how often do you really need to measure things.

My Suretest stays in the tool bag, I use a $4 neon light tester and a voltage sniffer most of the time, if I have a question I go get the SureTest. I seldom find a need to use the SureTest.

For a probe, I use a pocket knife or a Flathead screwdriver. Most of the time I probe with my fingernail! If it is soft, why probe and tear it up more?

My Ultra Stinger I hold most of the time while inside the home, you can't beat that white light it puts out. I have a belt ring if needed to hold it.

I use to wear a tool pouch belt, but one fall through an attic and having it get hung-up cured me of hauling 20lbs of tools around my waist.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Early in my career there was a neighborhood that one of my inspection tools was a Glock 19. Later as I became more successful I referred other new inspectors to handle that area.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

James Duffin Guest

When I get to a house I always park in the road if possible to keep from getting blocked in plus I can get a picture of the house without my truck in the picture. When I get out I carry my camera in a belt case, a 4-way screwdriver, a 4-light receptacle tester, and a LED Maglite in my back pocket. I leave my contract and other stuff in the truck until later. I like to meet the clients without looking like a lawyer or a techno-geek. Most of the time this is all I use except for ladders as needed and coveralls and kneepads. The coverall's and kneepads have been added in the last few months after I inspected a rash of REAL old houses. In the crawl I keep my camera in the top coverall pocket and the 4-way in the deep rear pocket. I keep the flashlight in my hand. I probe with the 4-way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    Early in my career there was a neighborhood that one of my inspection tools was a Glock 19. Later as I became more successful I referred other new inspectors to handle that area.

Plus you were able to write it off as a business expense.

Here is a image of a box similar to what I carry (Thanks BAdair) I think I will be ordering a replacement from these folks. Less than $30 is a bargain once you try it.
    http://www2.northerntool.com/product/200319997.htm

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    In the crawl I keep my camera in the top coverall pocket and the 4-way in the deep rear pocket. I keep the flashlight in my hand. I probe with the 4-way.
    Quick question for all: Do you use disposable or washable coveralls? I use disposable but I don't have a pocket (would be very, very nice to have for the camera)

Second question: If you use washable coveralls, where do you find a sturdy but thin pair to wear in the summer?

thanks in advance,
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post

Here is a image of a box similar to what I carry (Thanks BAdair) I think I will be ordering a replacement from these folks. Less than $30 is a bargain once you try it.
    Very nice. Hmmm....

James Duffin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JB Thompson View Post
    Quick question for all: Do you use disposable or washable coveralls? I use disposable but I don't have a pocket (would be very, very nice to have for the camera)

Second question: If you use washable coveralls, where do you find a sturdy but thin pair to wear in the summer?

thanks in advance,
    Bruce
    I buy the Sear's blue mechanic coverall's that are washable. I have a couple of pair that I wash when they get too dirty. They go from the truck to the crawl and back to the truck so they never see the inside of the house. They are thick for summer but they do hold up well.

Put a cord on the camera long enough to go around your neck and still be able to take pics. after taking a pic let the camera hang doen inside the coveralls. Keeps it clean and you can't lose it. I can't tell you how many times iv'e finally gotten out of the crawl from hell only to realise my camera fell out of the tool pouch.

[QUOTE=James Duffin;40566] I leave my contract and other stuff in the truck until later. I like to meet the clients without looking like a lawyer or a techno-geek./QUOTE]

James, In North Carolina, the client is required to sign the contract or agreement before you start the inspection.

I will ask again as many others have on here, what is your NC license number that you claim to have, and where are you located?

James Duffin Guest

Bruce....

Why does who I am matter? There are a few folks on this board who take pleasure in being a butt hole and I believe are not above making trouble for a person if they can.

My opinions on this board are sometimes not with the "group mentality" but since I only get bashed on the forum it does not matter.

If someone bashes me in real life they will have a problem they can not handle so it is best we leave things like they are.

I image there are some other people who feel the same way and do not post for fear of being bashed. I suggest that they register under an alias and post away!

There is some good info on this board once you get past the few "legends in their own mind" types.

Ok James, I will assume you are using a fake name and actually have a NC home inspector license.

The only bashing I have seen you get is over the name you use on here not having a license number. I really hope you have more confidence doing inspections than you have participating in a public forum.

Best of luck to you, I'll lighten up on you from here out.

James Duffin Guest

And I will assume you are really Bruce King, really hold a HI license, and do a better job of inspecting than you have done worrying about me. I did six inspections and one reinspection last week. I have five next week so I guess am really a HI. Folks like you are part of the problem this board has. If you would stick to the HI issues you could be a asset. Otherwise you are a negative.

I mind my business.

Part of minding my business is keeping fake unlicensed inspectors out of my service area.

Please only post here using your real name because it makes you look too stupid otherwise.

Any further questions Mr. Duffin?

James Duffin Guest

Bruce...

Since you asked I do have one question....

Are you as stupid as you come across on this forum?

What kind of idiot would have asked that question!

[QUOTE=Bruce King;40601]
    Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    I leave my contract and other stuff in the truck until later. I like to meet the clients without looking like a lawyer or a techno-geek./QUOTE]

James, In North Carolina, the client is required to sign the contract or agreement before you start the inspection.

I will ask again as many others have on here, what is your NC license number that you claim to have, and where are you located?
    Not trying to cause any further sparks but something here caught my eye that I'm curious about. The topic of the contract signing has come up a bunch within my area (Oregon). Our SoP state that a contract must be signed prior to the completion of the inspection. It is later defined that the completion is when the report is delivered. So, technically, I could have a client sign the agreement seconds before I hand them the report. Of course, this isn't practical and we always try to have it signed before starting the inspection.

I read over the NC standards I found online and I don't see anything about the contract being signed before the start of the inspection. Is this defined elsewhere?

I'm always curious how these things are done in other areas. Thanks...

James Duffin Guest

I get mine signed during the inspection....usually I go over the contract with the client before I do the crawl and let them read it while I am in the crawl. This gives them plenty of time to read it plus by then they know me and feel more comfortable signing their rights away!

Also, meant to ask if anyone has thought about or is carrying a longer probing device other than an awl. It could be used for pushing smoke detector test buttons or using it like the picture in the ad below.

I found one here:

Tool Experts- Your Choice For Home Inspection Tools And Testing Needs*::*Monthly Specials*::*Probe It

Not keen about paying $25 bucks for it; however, like the telescopic effect. You know: packs small, plays big!

Any thoughts?

B
    Similar metal or fiberglass 2'-4' or longer extension poles are $7-$25 at the big boxes, add a screw-on swivel pad and some Velcro and they're great for strapping on the moisture meter and using on suspect ceilings and soffits or attaching pointed probe made from old roller frame straightened out and ground to a point...in many cases you may not require the extension portion...one guy rigged a hot-shoe, or whatever that screw is called on a tripod, so he didn't have to climb on roofs or could get awkward chimney shots with his camera on a long extension pole...I think it was posted here

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Jim,

I'll be going right by the Lewisville store today 04-21-08 if you need me to pick you one up call me 6:30am-10:30am 214-328-8331

Delivery fee is very fair

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Brian Cooper Guest

My coveralls are made by Schmidt and I got them from Tractor Supply. They are light enough for summer wear, but heavy enough to be used over and over. I have two pairs, that way I always pull a clean set out in front of the realtor. (I at least try to look professional)

I'm thinking that I need to get a smaller pouch for the tools and a separate pouch for the camera. I must admit that I quit carrying my multimeter. It stays in the car now. I have only needed my GFCI outlet tester. I used to have my binoculars on my tool belt untill the pouch broke. Now I put them in the pouch while I do the exterior, then drop them in the car before I go inside. Maybe I need a new pouch for them...

I also want to get a Streamlight to replace my Maglite.

Thanks for all the input guys!!

I'm still thinking about changing things up.

I am VERY HAPPY to report that I have crossed the mark of my first year in business, and I am in a good rythym when I inspect. I am always looking for ways to perfect my method. Right now, my tool storage is the weak point.

From the NC rules:

.1103 PURPOSE AND SCOPE
    (a) Home inspections performed according to this Section shall provide the client with a better understanding of the property conditions, as inspected at the time of the home inspection.
    (b) Home inspectors shall:
    (1) Provide a written contract, signed by the client, before the home inspection is performed that shall:
    (A) State that the home inspection is in accordance with the Standards of Practice of the North Carolina Home Inspector Licensure Board;
    (B) Describe what services shall be provided and their cost; and
    (C) State, when an inspection is for only one or a limited number of systems or components, that the inspection is limited to only those systems or components.

Kirk Hersee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    I carry in a 3 pouch tool belt. Stinger rechargable flashlite ...
    Is this what most inspectors use (rechargable flashlights)? I have had only one need to use a flashlight in all my inspections. When I had to go into a basement and found there was no light and cobwebs thick as a wall starting about 2 feet down from the top of the stairs. I went for my flashlight and the batteries were dead (nop, no backup on the D's). I always carry extra batteries for my camera, though ). I ended up using my flash to catch some basement images from the stairwell. All I can say is that thankfully the furnace was on the 1st floor! That's typically the only interior photo i need to take. Kirk

David Banks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Hersee View Post
    Is this what most inspectors use (rechargable flashlights)? I have had only one need to use a flashlight in all my inspections. When I had to go into a basement and found there was no light and cobwebs thick as a wall starting about 2 feet down from the top of the stairs. I went for my flashlight and the batteries were dead (nop, no backup on the D's). I always carry extra batteries for my camera, though ). I ended up using my flash to catch some basement images from the stairwell. All I can say is that thankfully the furnace was on the 1st floor! That's typically the only interior photo i need to take. Kirk

The Stinger rechargeable is flashlight of choice for most HI.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Cooper View Post
    My coveralls are made by Schmidt and I got them from Tractor Supply. They are light enough for summer wear, but heavy enough to be used over and over. I have two pairs, that way I always pull a clean set out in front of the realtor. (I at least try to look professional)

Good info. I never think about Tractor Supply and I have one close to my house.

I'm thinking that I need to get a smaller pouch for the tools and a separate pouch for the camera.

The small pouch I use came from Lowe's. I've never seen them anywhere else, but they're the perfect size for HIs (don't have it in front of me but it's probably 5"x8") Clips on or slips through belt. Has one main pocket and 3 small pouches and 1 mini-"D" ring and one pouch for a small flashlight. They don't have them at lowes.com, only in the store.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BARRY ADAIR View Post
    Similar metal or fiberglass 2'-4' or longer extension poles are $7-$25 at the big boxes, add a screw-on swivel pad and some Velcro and they're great for strapping on the moisture meter and using on suspect ceilings and soffits or attaching pointed probe made from old roller frame straightened out and ground to a point...in many cases you may not require the extension portion...one guy rigged a hot-shoe, or whatever that screw is called on a tripod, so he didn't have to climb on roofs or could get awkward chimney shots with his camera on a long extension pole...I think it was posted here
    I wonder how he pushed the shutter button -- remote control? self-timer?

For anyone that has to check aerobic septic systems (the floats), I have a 4' painters pole and a mini paint roller frame. It's great as a 90 degree hook so it doesn't get caught on anything. A regular size roller frame won't go down into some of the smaller septic covers.

And b/c I have a topper on my truck and am basically lazy, my hook is also great for getting things out of the back of my truck without crawling in.

Good ideas from everyone, thanks!

Bruce

Wink Re: What do you carry?

I can Vouch for Bruce. I have met him. Smart man. When you go under an assumed name you are not credible and sometimes treated as so. If you fear that one of your colleagues or clients might see your real name and asking questions is your reasoning for being Darth Vader, so be it. But you have NC as your state and when you raise red flags in your post you will be questioned.
    James come out of the closet, It will be OK.........

I have a flight suit coveralls. Light weight with many zipper pockets. I hang my camera inside the coveralls. I leave my phone in the truck because someone always calls right when I'm in a bad spot. Now thinking of it I should take it with me just in case I get stuck or hurt.........hmmmmm

I can see it now. Client tells the Realtor the inspector is hurt but I can't see him in there. Realtor says, I'm not going in after him, client: me neither. What time is the termite inspector coming?

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schulz View Post

I leave my phone in the truck because someone always calls right when I'm in a bad spot. Now thinking of it I should take it with me just in case I get stuck or hurt.........hmmmmm

I can see it now. Client tells the Realtor the inspector is hurt but I can't see him in there. Realtor says, I'm not going in after him, client: me neither. What time is the termite inspector coming?
    Exactly. I've always taken my phone under the house for "just such an emergency". One time I got stuck for a few seconds (seemed longer) under a beam.

I have been very happy with a photographer's vest, but just recently purchased a DT Pro vest & the flight suits are perfect for the crawl's. I also used to hate the way the bluetooths looked, but it does solve that problem of having to dig into the coveralls while in the crawlspace when the phone rings.

Clarksville Home Inspection
    JW Goad
    TN License #307 | KY License #2402

Jim,

I found your tool box that is a step as well. I found it for $19.95 at Atwoods. I don't know if you have them up there, but it's like a Tractor Supply only bigger.

I really liked it, but the inside wouldn't hold as much as I needed it to.

Bruce

My coveralls are Dickeys and I bought the last pair on line somewhere. I've probably had this pair 4 or 5 years.

I don't carry any tools into the house and leave them. If I need something I don't have in my tool pouch, I go out to the truck (on the street) get it, use it, and put it back.

I quit using regular battery flashlights maybe 15 years ago. Of course, I now have 4 magChargers and would love to go to Streamlights, but just can't see the expense, when mine are working just fine.

Like Scott, my Suretest is not used in every outlet, but when I feel the need for it.

I just can't get over Kirk's response about never using a flashlight. I hope he's pulling our legs. Just off the top, I can think of a bunch of places where a flashlight is indispensable:
    Looking in the burn chamber of a gas furnace
    Attics
    Crawlspaces
    Inside cabinets, electrical panels, nooks and crannies everywhere

Kirk, if you are not kidding about not using a flashlight.............well, I'm just speechless.
    JF

I don't understand the "no flashlight" post myself either, but then again I'm one of those guys that has had a mini-mag on my belt 24/7 even before becoming a HI.

Clarksville Home Inspection
    JW Goad
    TN License #307 | KY License #2402

Jim,

I found your tool box that is a step as well. I found it for $19.95 at Atwoods. I don't know if you have them up there, but it's like a Tractor Supply only bigger.

I really liked it, but the inside wouldn't hold as much as I needed it to.

Bruce
    Bruce, I can't vouch for the size of the one you found, but the one I have (very similar to the photo) will hold more than I care to tote around. I regularly go through and clean out the tools and junk that tends to accumulate. I try to only carry the regularly used items and leave the rest in the truck. Binocculars, crawl stuff, etc. stay in the truck next to the ladder. Mostly just "indoor" stuff and small outdoor tools like meter keys, pressure gauges that I use on every inspection stay in the box. Of course 95% of my inspections are slabs.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

David Banks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Goad View Post
    I don't understand the "no flashlight" post myself either, but then again I'm one of those guys that has had a mini-mag on my belt 24/7 even before becoming a HI.
    Kirk is a Insurance Inspector and jumps in here once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by David Banks View Post
    Kirk is a Insurance Inspector and jumps in here once in a while.
    I noticed that that the 1st insurance inspector did not have a flashlight when my home was inspected after Katrina, neither did the 2nd or 3rd but the 4th did after our attorney advised the insurance company that their adjusters were missing a few thing!

Well that clears up a number of things!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce King View Post
    I mind my business.

Part of minding my business is keeping fake unlicensed inspectors out of my service area.

Please only post here using your real name because it makes you look too stupid otherwise.

Any further questions Mr. Duffin?
    For everyone following the question of "who is James Duffin"?
    There is no James Duffin listed as a NC licensed home inspector on the licensure board's web directory in alphabetical order.
    This is the alphabetical order directory with....

James R. Duckworth # 1617
    8701 Calumet Farms Road
    Waxhaw NC 28173
    (980) 722-3273

(no James Duffin here)

Kent Wayne Duke # 1070
    6620 Graymont Place
    Raleigh NC 27615-6508
    (919) 847-3126

My NC HI license is #371.
    This is public information that is listed on a public access web site.
    I see no reason for anonymity on this forum but, then again, I could be wrong.

Bruce, I can't vouch for the size of the one you found, but the one I have (very similar to the photo) will hold more than I care to tote around. I regularly go through and clean out the tools and junk that tends to accumulate. I try to only carry the regularly used items and leave the rest in the truck. Binocculars, crawl stuff, etc. stay in the truck next to the ladder. Mostly just "indoor" stuff and small outdoor tools like meter keys, pressure gauges that I use on every inspection stay in the box. Of course 95% of my inspections are slabs.
    I checked the measurements on it and they're the same. Do you have an Atwood's up in dallas? If you don't, I can pick this one up for you and bring it to Big D next time I'm there - which should be early part of May. They only had one left. Let me know.

I did like it and the fact that it does double duty as a step. I was sorely tempted to buy it but alas....

I probably have too much in my tool bag, but I hate to go out to the truck to get stuff. I carry a portable Ryobi dustbuster for fallen insulation and I have a helmet/knee pads for attics and crawls (the 2 biggest items). I've hit my head too many times on attic framing or nails -- with the helmet on!! So I know I've saved myself some cuts and bruises.

B

Listed in alphabetical order on the NCHILB's licensee directory, there is a Jason Mathew King, #2201 in Monroe, NC and a Jeff King, #2211 in Burnsville, NC (southeast of Charlotte) in the effort of full disclosure.

Again, public web site information.

I am always looking for ways to perfect my method.
    Brian,

I doubt there is anything which can be made perfect, however, everything can be made "better", no matter how good it gets.

I always try for "better", striving for "best", seeing "perfect" always just on the horizon, kind of like the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow - you'll never find it - you may get close, though, just never give up and think you've arrived at "perfect".

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

(bold is mine)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce King View Post
    From the NC rules:

.1103 PURPOSE AND SCOPE
    (a) Home inspections performed according to this Section shall provide the client with a better understanding of the property conditions, as inspected at the time of the home inspection.
    (b) Home inspectors shall:
    (1) Provide a written contract, signed by the client, before the home inspection is performed that shall:
    That's pretty clear to me as to "when" it is required "before the home inspection is performed".

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Goad View Post
    I'm one of those guys that has had a mini-mag on my belt 24/7 even before becoming a HI.
    Same here, but now I carry a Sure Fire, beats a Mini Mag hands down!

G2® Nitrolon® Flashlight available in Black, Green, Yellow and Tan from SureFire

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I probably have too much in my tool bag, but I hate to go out to the truck to get stuff. I carry a portable Ryobi dustbuster for fallen insulation and I have a helmet/knee pads for attics and crawls (the 2 biggest items). I've hit my head too many times on attic framing or nails -- with the helmet on!! So I know I've saved myself some cuts and bruises.
    I thought all inspectors were too hard headed to need a helmet

Thanks for the offer, Bruce, but I think I will try to get by the store Badair clued me into, I am really not in that much of a hurry since this one is still holding up under my ever increasing girth. I have just never been able to find another until asking here. Thanks guys!

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Provide a written contract, signed by the client, before the home inspection is performed that shall:
    They want it signed before hand so the client fully understands what you are providing and doesn't sign under duress. Basically provide your agreement by email, fax or other means preferably before the day of the inspection.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schulz View Post
    They want it signed before hand so the client fully understands what you are providing and doesn't sign under duress. Basically provide your agreement by email, fax or other means preferably before the day of the inspection.
    Hey guys,

Since this thread is about what HI's carry (though I appreciate the contract information), can we put that on a different thread? That way if anyone does need contract info, they'll be able to find it.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    (bold is mine)

That's pretty clear to me as to "when" it is required "before the home inspection is performed".
    NORTH CAROLINA HOME INSPECTOR Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice

This is what a quick Google search turned up. It seems to be different than the ones listed. Are these old?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Same here, but now I carry a Sure Fire, beats a Mini Mag hands down!

G2® Nitrolon® Flashlight available in Black, Green, Yellow and Tan from SureFire
    Jerry, that's the size of the flashlight I carry (but it's LED) and it's pretty bright. I got it at Walmart for $10. I wish there was a local flashlight convention where we could actually see the better performers.

Anyway, my question is: what about the Surefire is better than a Minimag? I'm always looking for the best flashlight.

B

Anyway, my question is: what about the Surefire is better than a Minimag?

JB,

Oh, it's only about a 1,000 times brighter.

I would not use it as a 'main' flashlight due to the short battery life (as compared to larger flashlights, or the LED ones), but for having something hanging on you belt which *actually lights something up!* - that cannot be beat.

Too bad it does not fit in a Mini Mag light holder, they are bigger around than the Mini Mag.

I use this (got it at a local Army-Navy Surplus store) to hold my multi-tool and flashlight: Boston Leather - Ammo Holders

I have the Double Mag pouch, but you could use the Single Mag pouch for just the flashlight.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

The tool caddy goes inot the house on every job, I then carry what I need for each phase in a skillers vest.

Always there: large and small flashlight, tape measure, tic tracer, digital voice recorder, camera and epipen.

The camera and voice recorder have neck straps and most of the time I just tuck them inside the vest. Indoors except for nasty crawls I usually also carry the suretest, both moisture meters, and a tic tracer - in the skiller you hardly feel it, it's much more comfortable than tool belt, less likely to hang up on something,and a *whole* lot less of a hassle on ladders. I carry two (bought them on close out) so they start out clean on each job.

I have a dedicated pocket for each item in the Skiller, and a dedicated place for everything the the tool caddy, so it's easy to check that I have everything during and after the inspection.

I have a separate bag with the hard hat, the indoor shoes, tyvek overalls, shoe covers, drop cloth, ect., and a third with the roof stuff: the cougar paws, various gutter tie offs and clamps, a rope for securing the foot of the ladder against kickout, ect.

The way it's set up, I can carry it all into the job in one trip, then I take a look around and bring in the indoor ladders as required.

The IR is the new problem - takes up a lot of real-estate in the caddy, but I don't like to leave it in the vehicle.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    I have a dedicated pocket for each item in the Skiller, ---.

Does the tails on that Flap on a Segway ?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

I tested the Surefire and it was bright. Two downsides - no switch for on/off, you have to twist the butt cap although you could temporarily flash the light with the butt button. For a new battery run time was about 50 minutes. I liked the size but short run time kept me from taking into crawlspaces which I typically do last. My main flashlight is an UltraStinger.

I am toolbelt guy. Camera, suretest, IR thermometer, 4 in 1 screwsdriver, Log lighter, short level and 25' tape. Everything else goes in my tool bag.

I like disposable coveralls. No pockets but if I get mucked up they are a throwaway. I pay about $1.20 per.

For the guy using or not using a flashlight, the phrase "is your inspector blind"? comes to mind. I know on the days I have had to use my backup maglight I felt like I was missing stuff in the shadows. I can't even imagine going back to a 2 d cell flashlight....

Rick Bunzel, CRI
    Pacific Crest Inspections

NPSAR Affiliate of the Year 2006-2007
    Pacific Crest Inspections Home inspections located in Anacortes offers home inspections in Skagit, Snohomish, Whatcom and Island Counties
    360-588-6956
    Fax 360-588-6965
    Toll Free 866-618-7764

Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Edwards View Post
    Listed in alphabetical order on the NCHILB's licensee directory, there is a Jason Mathew King, #2201 in Monroe, NC and a Jeff King, #2211 in Burnsville, NC (southeast of Charlotte) in the effort of full disclosure.

Again, public web site information.

Here is the full menu for NC inspectors.

Welcome to NC Office of State Fire Marshal

Note, how they have different groups, such as this one for Out of State inspectors who hold a license in the state they live in as well as NC:

If you scroll down the page to SC you will see me listed there.

http://www.ncdoi.com/OSFM/Engineerin...OutOfState.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    NORTH CAROLINA HOME INSPECTOR Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice

This is what a quick Google search turned up. It seems to be different than the ones listed. Are these old?

yes, old ones. Feb 2007 is latest revision found at http://www.ncdoi.com/OSFM/Engineerin...s/HILB_SOP.pdf

Here's one of the new items (d.2) added in recent years:

(d) The home inspector shall:
    (1) Move insulation where readily visible evidence indicates the possibility of a problem; and
    (2) Move floor insulation where plumbing drain/waste pipes penetrate floors, adjacent to earth-filled stoops or porches, and at exterior doors.

Brian I carry the majority of my tools on my hip in an electricians tool bag. I fit all of the basic tools that I need for an inspection. Including tape measure, receptacle tester and voltage sniffer, digital thermometer, awl, pliers, a short 5 inch LED flashlight, 10 in one electricians screwdriver (KLIEN TOOL BRAND) a must have. I have room to spare to add additional tools if needed.

I keep the following items in my truck LED mag light, Rechargable 2 million candle power spot light, knee pads and crawlspace gear, and other sometimes needed tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Does the tails on that Flap on a Segway ?
    It's very practical, but what I did worry about was "Does it look silly?".

The way I work is that I try to get there early and do the initial visual of the lot and the exterior before anyone else arrives. Then, once the contract it signed and the dishwasher started, I do my second pass of the exterior with the client in tow. But the time we are through with that they have had a chance to take the measure of my work, and if when we get to the interior if I put on the Skiller , stand on my head, and test receptacles with my tongue... well, they just assume that's the only way to do it right.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Brian Cooper Guest

Thanks for all the helpful *on topic* replies.

I am intrigued by the pocketed vests that several of you are using. However with the South Carolina heat, I'm kind of leery of them. May be too much for my fragile, er, fat nature.

It looks to me like I am carrying the right tools for the job, since I don't have an IR camera. The only tool that I really should be carrying and not leaving in the car is a gas sniffer.

I'm going to find a different tool pouch. I am also thinking that I need a different flashlight. Apparently I am a loser for still using an old fashioned Maglite when I should have an Ultra Stinger. Actually, I have been wanting to go to a rechargeable light and mount the charger in the rear of my PT Cruiser to plug into the rear lighter socket.

By the way, since I use a telescoping ladder and all of my junk fits into a milk crate, I have found that a PT Cruiser is a great size vehicle for this job. But then that would be off topic...

Thanks for all the helpful *on topic* replies.

I am intrigued by the pocketed vests that several of you are using. However with the South Carolina heat, I'm kind of leery of them. May be too much for my fragile, er, fat nature.

It looks to me like I am carrying the right tools for the job, since I don't have an IR camera. The only tool that I really should be carrying and not leaving in the car is a gas sniffer.

I'm going to find a different tool pouch. I am also thinking that I need a different flashlight. Apparently I am a loser for still using an old fashioned Maglite when I should have an Ultra Stinger. Actually, I have been wanting to go to a rechargeable light and mount the charger in the rear of my PT Cruiser to plug into the rear lighter socket.

By the way, since I use a telescoping ladder and all of my junk fits into a milk crate, I have found that a PT Cruiser is a great size vehicle for this job. But then that would be off topic...
    Brian,
    Just my opinion, but the gas sniffer is probably the one tool you want to keep out of sight from your clients.

There has been a lot of discussion on this forum before, but I have a friend that was sued because he used a gas sniffer.
    JF

Last edited by Jack Feldmann; 04-23-2008 at 05:01 AM. Reason: spelling error

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bunzel View Post
    I tested the Surefire and it was bright. Two downsides - no switch for on/off, you have to twist the butt cap although you could temporarily flash the light with the butt button. For a new battery run time was about 50 minutes. I liked the size but short run time kept me from taking into crawlspaces which I typically do last. My main flashlight is an UltraStinger.
    That's why I said "I would not use it as a 'main' flashlight ".

"My main flashlight is an UltraStinger."

That is what I used for my main flashlight too, but, that SureFire flashlight sure is bright for a back up. Flashing it 'on' when you need it with the button on the cap.

Besides, I can (and do) carry the SureFire everywhere I go, that's difficult to do with the UltraStinger.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast