Don Sweet Guest

Default Factory Fireplace

What section in the "good book" does it give the spacing minimum between the flu and combustible chase framing...up to and through the roof?

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Factory Fireplace

It will be on the vent itself.

Type B Gas Vent is 1" clear space to combustible material or to insulation (many people forget about the insulation part).

Assuming you are referring to gas vents, that is.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Don Sweet Guest

Thanks Jerry.

Exclamation Re: Factory Fireplace

The mfrs listed instructions for that fireplace. Don't assume.
    Bob

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

I did a pre-drywall yesterday where I had full access to the fireplace installations and chimneys. They were Heatilator wood burning models that had gas lines run to them. The manufacturer info on the flue pipes stated a 2" clearance to combustibles and made no delineation between whether the fireplaces were used as wood burning or gas.

Cool Re: Factory Fireplace

Nick, FYI, HL specifies gas lines entering their woodburner fireboxes to maintain a 1.5 inch clearance to combustibles for the first 4 inches it protrudes outside the outerwrap of the box.

I have seen some factory built fireplaces with clearances as low as 1" and 1.5"

Bob

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

I got the builder to provide intallation manuals and found plenty to flag from the fireplaces Bob, including the gas line installation as a whole. Here ya go.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Don Sweet Guest

I phoned ICC today for a definite measurement and Code section to reference (between the flu and combustibles), and the chap I spoke with essentially said, "there isn't any..." for a factory-built fireplace, or chimney. He just referred me to the manufacturer's instructions... and, apparently there is no section in the IRC to drop back 10 and punt. He said that some factory-built fireplaces are zero-clearance rated...

Cool Re: Factory Fireplace

He is a fool to talk like that. The only places most factory built fireplaces are "zero clearance" is to the floor and where the nailing tabs touch the jack studs and maybe to tops of the spacer/ standoffs. I wish that term had never been coined.

The IRC says to install listed appliances in accordance with the listed instructions---you're done. No other references needed.

Bob

Last edited by Bob Harper; 04-22-2008 at 04:59 PM.