Eric Smith Guest

Default Not intended for Use?

At an inspection yesterday I came across this. My concern was that the four beams being used as the lintel were not securely attached to the post.

I wrote "Observed that lintel was only secured to post by four nails which shear strength may not be adequate for the purpose. Concern for improper connection. Also, the four lintel beams are too wide for the post in use and the post was not intended to be used for four beams or an 8" lintel. The post appears to be designed to accomodate two beams or a 4" lintel, as shown by the post being installed sideways to allow all four beams to rest upon it. Recommend evaluation and any necessary mitigation by a licensed structural contractor."

How did I do? Or, is the install correct and i called out for a structural contractor for nothing?

Thanks as always gentlemen and any potential ladies.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Not intended for Use?

Eric,
    I agree with your concern about the nails. Obviously, lag screws are needed instead of nails barely holding on.

Did the tag on the post call out load capacity, or size of members it is designed to support?
    JF

Eric Smith Guest

The tag on the post that you see on the left side was inaccessible. This was in a closet behind the furncae and I was not able to get behind the furnace to view the tag.

I only see two beams, not four. Regardless, it would appear to be an improper loading condition on the bearing plate of the post. With two beams acting independently, i.e., not bolted together, the loads being applied to the bearing plate are eccentric, i.e., applied beyond the support point of the plate. With the plate essentially cantilevered out from the post it may be overstressed in bending. (Judging by the size of the wood beams and the fact that two or four were required the loads are probably quite high.

It there are four beams then the concern would be even greater with the loads from the outer two beams being even more eccentric.

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Eric Smith Guest

You know what Bruce, there may just be 2 beams, on the left they appear to be 2x's but on the right it looks to be one 4x. I may have just assumed 2x's (wrong profession for making assumptions right).

Eccentric loading is the word I was looking for that day.

Eric,

A possible fix is to install gusset plates between the bearing plate and the post. But that call is the job of the structural engineer.

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

"potential ladies"?

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Eric Smith Guest

Red face Re: Not intended for Use?

John, just two days ago I saw a woman driving a US Inspect truck with the shirt on. I can only assume that she was an inspector. Assuming that, perhaps she reads inspection news.

But the way you have pasted my line it reads as if I was saying that some of you may morph into ladies at some point. Not the way I meant it!

Eric - I just thought "potential ladies" was funny. I suppose we're all "potential" ladies, given the hormone and surgery options available today.
    And we definitely have some female inspectors on this forum from time to time.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Tim Moreira Guest

Eric,

I can only assume that she was an inspector.
    You should get more PC in today's world.

She is an *inspectoret*.

Eric,
    What size shirt did the truck take?

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    - Paul Fix