Jeff Spencer Guest

Default Inspection Visitor

Ah, the joys of springtime waterfront inspections.

This little guy slithered out from beneath my truck to bid me goodbye as I finished my first inspection today. Fortunately I was just a little too far away for him, but its quite apparent I was well within his comfort zone.

Smaller than average for around here, but still not something to run afoul of.

Jeff

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Inspection Visitor

Diamond Back Rattler?

Jeff Spencer Guest

Raymond,

It's a Cottonmouth Water Moccasin. He's a young one, as the colors of his patterning are relatively vivid -- the older they get, the darker their color becomes. This one was about 18 inches long. We've killed five in my neighborhood this spring that went over two feet long each -- neighbors have been clearing lots to build a new house.

Down here at this time of year, you never ever reach where you can't see.

Jeff

Where are you? I've never seen a water moccasin. Glad they don't live here.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

When I was a young boy I remember my parents taking me to Florida to Crystal Springs. There was a Water Moccasin laying in the grass and one of the grounds keepers used a long pole to kill it. I remember it as if it was yesterday.

Can't imagine reaching into the unknown and grabbng that fella! Yikes, I think I would scream!

Jeff Spencer Guest

I'm in Freeport, TX, which is about 60 miles south of Houston and 40 miles SSW of Galveston. Freeport is on the Gulf Coast, which means an abundance of snakes, alligators, spiders (black widow and brown recluse0 and fire ants.

Actually, the ants are the worst of the bunch because they're so prolific. A fellow inspector crawled under a house a couple of weeks ago and scooped the better part of a fire ant mound into the neck of his coveralls. He was out of commission for over a week with over 120 ant bites on his chest. If you're not familiar with them, they don't bite until a couple of hundred are on you. The bites hurt tremendously and leave pus-filled blisters. They get into everything -- I've inspected houses where they have chewed insulation off of wiring in electrical panels and condensing units.

Despite the above, at least we can inspect in shorts and short sleeves for 8 months out of the year and don't have to buy snow blowers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Spencer View Post

It's a Cottonmouth Water Moccasin.

Jeff
    This time of year before 1st molt the skin over their eyes get milky and severely limits eyesight. ( more likely not to see you and get out of your way.)

Unlike a rattle snake they strike multiple times not once.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

I was bit by a water moccasin about that size on the knuckle when I was 10 years old. We were in a old stock pond with a noose on a stick at night with flashlights looking for snakes when this snake popped up and latched on to my finger. Burned like hades and the finger swelled up to unbelievable size. I went to the hospital on my bike and received treatment.

Remembering being sick for days. No fun.

I think I'd take the snake bite over all those fireants someone else mentioned.

rick

They are also aggressive and will actually chase you! Cottonmouth and the Copperhead are really bad snakes, they just don't like people and would rather bite than move out of the way.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Aaron Miller Guest

They are also aggressive and will actually chase you!
    Scott:

You mean like East Coast Jerry?

Aaron

Brian Cooper Guest

I hate snakes worse that politicians and lawyers.

I live in the fire ant capital. They are no big deal. I'd rather lay on a fire ant bed than be anywhere close to a snake.

I'm creaped out just thinking about it.

Aaron Miller Guest

Southern CopperheadMost common venomous snake in our area. Deaths are extremely rare from its bite, though it could be fatal to a small child and could cause the loss of a limb or digit. The copper-colored dark bands which encircle the pale-skinned body appear to be compressed into an hour-glass shape over the spine. Principal food is mice, but it readily eats other small animals. Lover of woodpiles and leaf litter. Adults up to 30" long. Young have bright yellow tail tips. Live-bearing.Western CottonmouthStout dark viper mainly seen in water but may live in dry habitats. Normal adult size 36". Relatively few people bitten despite reputation. Mortality rate throughout the U.S. is less than 1 person a year. Many harmless and beneficial water snakes are mistaken for the cottonmouth and needlessly killed. Young have bright yellow tail tips. Live-bearing.Texas CoralSmall (up to 26") snake with vivid markings: red bands surrounded by yellow bands on each side. (One helpful way to remember this is to think of a traffic light - when you have the yellow warning light and red stop light on together, you better stop!) Several harmless snakes resemble the coral snake but do not have adjoining red and yellow bands. The coral snake's venom is the most virulent in the U.S. It is non-aggressive and virtually all bites occur from someone trying to touch or handle it. Antivenin should be given at once. Found in plant litter or rocky crevices. Eats primarily other snakes. Egg-bearing.

The mythology about these denizens in my backyard concerning their aggressive behaviors just is not so. There are aggressive snakes, but these are not among them.

And yet, they deserve the utmost respect. Though non-aggressive, they are excellent at defending themselves. That's why I go the other way whenever I see one.

Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Miller View Post
    Southern CopperheadMost common venomous snake in our area. Deaths are extremely rare from its bite, though it could be fatal to a small child and could cause the loss of a limb or digit. The copper-colored dark bands which encircle the pale-skinned body appear to be compressed into an hour-glass shape over the spine. Principal food is mice, but it readily eats other small animals. Lover of woodpiles and leaf litter. Adults up to 30" long. Young have bright yellow tail tips. Live-bearing.Western CottonmouthStout dark viper mainly seen in water but may live in dry habitats. Normal adult size 36". Relatively few people bitten despite reputation. Mortality rate throughout the U.S. is less than 1 person a year. Many harmless and beneficial water snakes are mistaken for the cottonmouth and needlessly killed. Young have bright yellow tail tips. Live-bearing.Texas CoralSmall (up to 26") snake with vivid markings: red bands surrounded by yellow bands on each side. (One helpful way to remember this is to think of a traffic light - when you have the yellow warning light and red stop light on together, you better stop!) Several harmless snakes resemble the coral snake but do not have adjoining red and yellow bands. The coral snake's venom is the most virulent in the U.S. It is non-aggressive and virtually all bites occur from someone trying to touch or handle it. Antivenin should be given at once. Found in plant litter or rocky crevices. Eats primarily other snakes. Egg-bearing.

The mythology about these denizens in my backyard concerning their aggressive behaviors just is not so. There are aggressive snakes, but these are not among them.

And yet, they deserve the utmost respect. Though non-aggressive, they are excellent at defending themselves. That's why I go the other way whenever I see one.

Aaron
    And who is saying they are non-aggressive!! My bet is whoever wrote that is a herpetologist in a zoo that seldom goes outside in the wild overgrown Southern tundra! I have been chased by Copperheads and have had a Cottonmouth chase me up a small stream and then up the bank.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ed Snedaker Guest

I've had realtors do that around here.

I will repeat my saying.
    The only good snake is a dead snake. (at least around me!)

Yeah, I know they eat mice, and won't hurt you, blah, blah, blah...

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

David Argabright Guest

Dang it Ed. You made me spit soda all over my keyboard.

Aaron Miller Guest

I have been chased by Copperheads and have had a Cottonmouth chase me up a small stream and then up the bank.
    Scott:

Well, you are older than I am, that is true. So, you may be referring to the predecessors of the present reptiles in question. They were quite a different breed altogether. Never having encountered a diplomat before, they may easily have mistaken you for politician.

Aaron

Lou Wissner Guest

having grown up working in the rice fields around alvin(texas coast). i assure you the cottonmouth or water mocassin is very aggressive. look in the dictionary for attitude, their picture should be there. they will all but stalk you from accros the feild. you could see them coming from the other side of the flooded rice field and i don't think it a matter of chance that the we both would meet at exactly the same spot. this can be a everday occurance working in the fileds. you become real proficient at shovel thowing. maybe it should be a new event for the olympics.

Jim Zborowski Guest

THats odd.........I looked up lawyer and the same exact picture came up.

Aaron Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Wissner View Post
    having grown up working in the rice fields around alvin(texas coast). i assure you the cottonmouth or water mocassin is very aggressive. look in the dictionary for attitude, their picture should be there. they will all but stalk you from accros the feild. you could see them coming from the other side of the flooded rice field and i don't think it a matter of chance that the we both would meet at exactly the same spot. this can be a everday occurance working in the fileds. you become real proficient at shovel thowing. maybe it should be a new event for the olympics.
    Lou:

Well now, I guess those South Texas cottonmouths are just pissed about having to live down there on the miserably hot and humid polluted coast. It's enough to make anybody crazy and it's just too far for them to crawl to get up here where the weather is balmy . . .

Aaron

Andy Cox Guest

I grew up in Missouri, and have seen many cottonmouths. I was in a small rowboat as a kid, and had 5-6 of them come out from the bank and tried to climb into the boat. They were crawling up the side, up the oars, trying to get in. I slung one about 30 feet with an oar - and he came back for more. They are very aggressive. Not so much with copperheads - I've had a copperhead lay still until I actually stepped on him before he struck at me. And with copperheads, there's never just 1 - always a 2nd one somewhere!

You mean like East Coast Jerry?
    East Coast Jerry is just a puddy tat compared to TexasHeatStrokedAaron.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Aaron Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    East Coast Jerry is just a puddy tat compared to TexasHeatStrokedAaron.
    ECJ is all sleeper and long on smoke.

Aaron

RANDY NICHOLAS Guest

Snakes:
    Two kinds:

1.) Dead Ones!!

2.) The ones I haven't seen....as yet. Then there are entered in catagory 1.

Aaron Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY NICHOLAS View Post
    Snakes:
    Two kinds:

1.) Dead Ones!!

2.) The ones I haven't seen....as yet. Then there are entered in catagory 1.
    Randy:

There are two kinds of rednecks:

1. Dead ones.

2. The ones I haven't met yet. See catagory 1.

Aaron

RANDY NICHOLAS Guest

Aaron,

I am not a Redneck.

I AM a born-again HIPPIE.

AND I HATE SNAKES!!!

I should have used my SPELL CHECK in my first post.

.... then "they" ( the DEAD SNAKES) are sent to catagory 1. with the rest of the dead snakes.

David Banks Guest

Aaron,

I am not a Redneck.

I AM a born-again HIPPIE.

AND I HATE SNAKES!!!

I should have used my SPELL CHECK in my first post.

.... then "they" ( the DEAD SNAKES) are sent to catagory 1. with the rest of the dead snakes.
    Whats a born again Hippie? Just curios.

Kevin Barre Guest

I have to agree with Randy. (post 22)
    The water moccasin has a well-deserved reputation for being aggressive. However, many uninformed folks assume that all water snakes are moccasins. Unfortunately, a lot of water snakes seem aggressive. The copperhead is lacking in both venom potency and aggressiveness. If you have to have venomous snakes around, that's the one to have. You do pretty much have to step on one to tick him off enough to bite. I live on three acres bordering the tailwaters of a small river and wooded grasslands. I see a LOT of snakes of varying types. Except for the venomous types (I have kids), I welcome them.

RANDY NICHOLAS Guest

David,
    I am nearing 60 and have been reflecting on my views of life, when I was in my twenties, and I feel about the same on most issues.
    So I kinda feel reborn, without drugs and other stimulants, just a hit of fresh air at the lake.

BACK TO SNAKES:
    KEVIN,
    I TOO LIVE IN THE COUNTRY ( 5 ACRES). MY NEIGHBOR WITH 3 SMALL GIRLS WERE CLEARING THEIR PROPERTY. WHEN ONE GIRL PICKED UP A "STICK", IT BIT HER ( A SMALL COPPERHEAD) AND NEARLY KILLED HER.
    THE DOCTOR SAID THE SMALLER THE SNAKE THE MORE TOXIC VENUM.
    THANKS TO THE HOSPITAL FOR ANTI-VENUM AND THE KNOWLEDGE OF THE KINDS OF SNAKES.

I STILL HATE SNAKES.

David Banks Guest

David,
    I am nearing 60 and have been reflecting on my views of life, when I was in my twenties, and I feel about the same on most issues.
    So I kinda feel reborn, without drugs and other stimulants, just a hit of fresh air at the lake.

BACK TO SNAKES:
    KEVIN,
    I TOO LIVE IN THE COUNTRY ( 5 ACRES). MY NEIGHBOR WITH 3 SMALL GIRLS WERE CLEARING THEIR PROPERTY. WHEN ONE GIRL PICKED UP A "STICK", IT BIT HER ( A SMALL COPPERHEAD) AND NEARLY KILLED HER.
    THE DOCTOR SAID THE SMALLER THE SNAKE THE MORE TOXIC VENUM.
    THANKS TO THE HOSPITAL FOR ANTI-VENUM AND THE KNOWLEDGE OF THE KINDS OF SNAKES.

I STILL HATE SNAKES.
    Good for you. Do you remember Quicksilver Messenger Service song. "Take another hit of Fresh Air"

Kevin Barre Guest

Randy:

First, it's venom, not venum.
    Secondly, I don't care what some "doctor" supposedly said. There is no inverse relationship between size and venom potency. Copperheads are at the weak end of the scale as venom potency goes. If your neighbors were clearing property with young children around, well...let's just say that they should have known better. I was going from memory, but to have a "published" source, I Google'd it. Here's the scoop from the first Google response about copperheads. Red comments and bold highlights are mine:
    It is from North Carolina State University:

Still to be investigated is another aspect of copperhead bites: many are not serious enough to require more than minor medical treatment. This may be so not only because the venom of a copperhead is significantly less potent than that of rattlesnakes or cottonmouths, but also because they seldom inject much venom. The copperhead's initial threat display is to strike. It lashes out at an enemy as a warning. If the enemy is close enough, the fangs may penetrate the skin. (They'll leave you alone if you don't pick 'em up!)
    However, because this is a threat display, not an attempt to kill, the snake injects little venom. A copperhead has no intention of wasting valuable venom if it can scare away the menace with a minor bite.

Next, from venomoussnakes.net:
    Usually the Copperhead won’t bite. However, if you grasp one or get very close to one it will and can bite you. (Again, don't pick one up!) A bite will be used as a last defense against you. The Copperhead was responsible for approximately 37 percent of venomous snake bites in the US in 2001 (Lavonas E.J. et al., 2004)1
    The venom is toxic and a bite from a Copperhead Snake is extremely painful, requires immediate medical treatment, but is very, very seldom fatal. It's one of the least venomous snakes of the venomous snakes in the USA

Frankly, I don't care if you kill all venomous snakes you run across on your property. You should protect your own. Somehow, however, I find the hysteria (ignorance?) that results in the "kill them all" mentality to be wrong since it results in the killing of harmless, even beneficial snakes. I have no particular love for snakes or any other species, maligned or not. I do, however, recognize the role they play in our ecosystem.

Enjoy the photo of a neighbor a few years ago with a speckled king snake. For the record, part of the diet of king snakes is venomous snakes. Kill one of these, and you might well be increasing the population of venomous ones.

Just something to think about.

Attached Files Attached Files

Aaron Miller Guest

Kevin:

I used to capture king snakes and set them free on my property in East Texas to control the other critters that are not so polite when surprised. Worked like a charm.

Isn't it strange that someone professing to be a "born-again hippie" could use the term "hate" so often in the same post? I thought that movement was all about peace and love and respect for nature . . .

And, if we use the "logic" asserted by the country doctor in the story I assume that Randy has at least 40 or 50 children he's sired . . . just the thought of a fig leaf would cover that story . . .

Aaron

Phillip Smith Guest

Thumbs down Re: Inspection Visitor

Randy:

There are two kinds of rednecks:

1. Dead ones.

2. The ones I haven't met yet. See catagory 1.

Aaron
    Aaron,
    I guess you don't like anyone that not like you. You seam to cut down everyone that is different than you.

You need to go out and listen to Charlie Daniels song (what the world needs is) A few more Rednecks.

I am a southern man and a redneck. You should live and let live.

If all you have in life is to cut other folks down I feel sorry for you.

High Tech Redneck,
    Phillip R. Smith Sr.
    Tuscaloosa Alabama

Last edited by Phillip Smith; 04-29-2008 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Added my name

Aaron Miller Guest

I am a southern man and a redneck.
    Philip:

The comment I made about rednecks was to illustrate how ridiculous the comment about snakes was. It was not necessarily directed at rednecks. However, since the shoe seems to fit your feet, let's discuss that a little further, shall we?

American Heritage Dictionary says a redneck is:
    1. A white person regarded as having a provincial, conservative, often bigoted attitude.
    There are several other pejorative terms which are often used as synonyms for redneck: white trash, peckerwood, cracker, goat roper, and a few others that the Hann in the Sky might frown upon my including in this list. Are you also all of the above?

If any of those labels fits you, and after your post I can see where they might, then we have nothing else to discuss. Now, if you had just proudly announced that you were a dumb-ass, or a moron, well, all would be OK between us. Those kinds of labels can be removed through learning. But, the redneck thing is cultivated ignorance. That equals stupid, and I don't waste my time with stupid people (unless I'm getting paid to do so). So, send me a check or shut TF up.

Aaron

Phillip Smith Guest

Aaron,
    I am proud of who I am.

A lot of the names you listed sound like you from what I have read.

I am no dumb ass but I am set in ways. There are a lot of good folks that come from ever walk of life. I accept them as people. Do You?

I will not be sending you a check, but you need to sent one to me.

Phillip
    High Tech Redneck

Last edited by Phillip Smith; 04-29-2008 at 08:37 AM. Reason: check spelling

And I thought we had a Problem.

Florida Power & Light

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Tim Lane Guest

Gentlemen:

Your exchange of information on snakes was both informative and educational.

Interesting how an exchange of information can so quickly change into an exchange of insults.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles."

Aaron Miller Guest

Interesting how an exchange of information can so quickly change into an exchange of insults.
    But not altogether difficult to understand is it?

We are the aggressive ones, not the snakes. It is often easy for the uneducated, like Mr. Redneck and Proud of It, to anthropmorphize nature in order to take control of it or at least to justify doing so. It's this same backwater attitude that breeds hunters, starts wars and causes men to continue to take from the Earth instead of taking care of it. This has its origin in the Judeo-Christian scribblings where we find such blather as sneaky, talking snakes that convince people to do things they don't want to do. Pure bullshit . . .

It's what rednecks are best at: shitting in their own nest, in the name of their god [sic]. And this profession has more than its share of them.

Amen.

Aaron