Kendall Goad Guest

Default Commercial Inspections

Just curious

I was contacted by a client asking if I would be interested in doing an inspection on a vacant commercial building and was curious if as a certified home inspector if this is allowed.
    They only want the the roof inspected and a visual inside to make sure there are no major problems visible.

Thanks for any and all replies,
    Kendall

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Commercial Inspections

Quote Originally Posted by Kendall Goad View Post
    Just curious

I was contacted by a client asking if I would be interested in doing an inspection on a vacant commercial building and was curious if as a certified home inspector if this is allowed.
    They only want the the roof inspected and a visual inside to make sure there are no major problems visible.

Thanks for any and all replies,
    Kendall
    Do you know anything about commercial buildings? If not you might want to defer this to an inspector in your area who knows about commercial buildings.

You should use ASTM E-2018 for the inspection as a guideline.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Default Re: Commercial Inspections

I agree with Scott E-2018 is the way to go as a baseline.
    As far as licensing I suggest you check with your State regs. Your HI license probably won't cover it but also won't need to. There may not be a commercial insp license required. Often times in commercial transactions parties are deemed to know what they are doing.
    If you aren't experienced in commercial, that's OK. Don't give the job away. Collaborate with someone who has experience and learn from it, split the fee.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"