Question A "how bad is it" question. Water Heater valve

Guys, I did not find a thread on this, so here is my question. Take a look at these photos of the water heater supply valve. What is causing this and can you make an assessment as to a "how bad is it" question.

I usually write these up to be evaluated by a licensed plumber.

Thanks

Gene

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Lee Nettnin Guest

Default Re: A "how bad is it" question. Water Heater valve

Gene,
    Two things going on here.
    1. There is a leak at the stem, tighten the nut directly under the red handle usually will fix the problem
    2. It also appears to be leaking at the valve body, tighten the second nut under the red handle, or the gasket may need replacing.
    Lee

I think Lee's right. It happens to me sometimes when you need to shut the water off. When you turn it back on it leaks at the stem. Sometimes it fixes itself after a few days, other times it doesn't. It's usually pretty easy to fix, just a little time consuming.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

David Banks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gene South View Post
    Guys, I did not find a thread on this, so here is my question. Take a look at these photos of the water heater supply valve. What is causing this and can you make an assessment as to a "how bad is it" question.

I usually write these up to be evaluated by a licensed plumber.

Thanks

Gene
    I agree with Lee but you have already evaluated it. Should be a repair item.

Jon Randolph Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Nettnin View Post
    1. There is a leak at the stem, tighten the nut directly under the red handle usually will fix the problem
    2. It also appears to be leaking at the valve body, tighten the second nut under the red handle, or the gasket may need replacing.
    Lee

3. It appears that the valve body itself has had past pin hole leaks that have sealed themselves up. This will not get better, only worse. No amount of seal tightening or replacement will fix the valve. More leaks will soon follow. The valve needs replaced. Look at the pictures again.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Thanks guys for all your input.

Gene

Gene,

Its obvious that it is leaking. I always report it as a replacement item. Dont' get into telling the client "how" to repair it.

rick