Thomas Hudson Guest

Default Gap above fascia

I inspected a house yesterday (1920's, total rehab two years ago) and there was a 1" gap above the fascia and below the roof decking. This gap allowed open access to the attic area. There was a ridge vent with no soffit vents. Could this have been an intentional design to provide ventilation? My rec is simply to install screen to keep pests out of the space. The other problem I have with the design is there is nowhere to install a drip edge and there are several areas where water is running behind the gutter. Thanks for any insight.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Gap above fascia

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson View Post
    I inspected a house yesterday (1920's, total rehab two years ago) and there was a 1" gap above the fascia and below the roof decking. This gap allowed open access to the attic area. There was a ridge vent with no soffit vents. Could this have been an intentional design to provide ventilation? My rec is simply to install screen to keep pests out of the space. The other problem I have with the design is there is nowhere to install a drip edge and there are several areas where water is running behind the gutter. Thanks for any insight.
    I would just describe what I found and recommend it be corrected by a roofing contractor.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/