Thread: adjacent panels

Jerome W. Young Guest

Default adjacent panels

see any problem with these two panels next to each other. It just seemed odd that they were so close they could not get drywall between them and there was a gap.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: adjacent panels

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome W. Young View Post
    It just seemed odd that they were so close they could not get drywall between them and there was a gap.
    Jerome,

Where were those located?

There has to be at least one stud between them, otherwise the studs supporting the drywall would exceed the maximum 24" on center. Not only that, but if there is no stud between them, how are they supported - hanging off one stud to one side?

If there is a stud, there should be drywall on it (Example: If in the garage, then that wall needs to have 1/2" gypsum board "separation" to the living space.)

Was the gap between them only back to the stud? Into the wall cavity?

Looking at the photo, it looks there is a void between them, with a PVC raceway connecting them together near the bottom. The left one looks like it is "service equipment" and the right one looks like it is "not service equipment".

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Also, there's a clearance issue being so close together. Basicaly bad planning.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    Also, there's a clearance issue being so close together.
    WC Jerry,

What clearance issue?

Bad planning, I agree with that.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerome W. Young Guest

Where were those located?
    garage
    There has to be at least one stud between them, otherwise the studs supporting the drywall would exceed the maximum 24" on center. Not only that, but if there is no stud between them, how are they supported - hanging off one stud to one side?
    good question and i did not think of that.

If there is a stud, there should be drywall on it (Example: If in the garage, then that wall needs to have 1/2" gypsum board "separation" to the living space.) 1/2 in. interior and exterior? there is drywall on the back side, just missing at the garage side.

Was the gap between them only back to the stud? Into the wall cavity?
    into the cavity

Looking at the photo, it looks there is a void between them, with a PVC raceway connecting them together near the bottom. The left one looks like it is "service equipment" and the right one looks like it is "not service equipment". You are correct

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome W. Young View Post
    garage

That's what I thought - there are separation issues as well as air infiltration issues. That wall also needs to be insulated.

1/2 in. interior and exterior? there is drywall on the back side, just missing at the garage side.
    Needs to be at least on the garage side.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Have any pictures with the covers removed? I'll assume one is a subpanel (or possibly a generator panel)?

RJDalga
    http://homeanalysts.com
    Kalamazoo, MI

EC Jerry, note the door swing on the right side distribution panel. I doubt that's right, but I could be wrong? Also, if that's a fire separation wall we have another problem. (or two)

Jerry McCarthy

WC Jerry,

The doors are only required to be able to open 90 degrees, and both do that.

While that is a garage/living space wall, it is not a "fire separation wall", just a wall providing "separation", yet, still there appear to be many issues with that aspect of it.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry P, you are of course correct in that a 1/2" gypsum wall between an R-3 occupancy and its attached garage is a "separation wall" and not a firewall. I keep forgetting that probably due to when we, on the left coast, when adopting our new 2007 CBC, lifted pretty much the whole banana from the 2006 IRC. Old dog and new tricks syndrome I think?

Jerry McCarthy

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    Old dog and new tricks syndrome I think?

Probably.

I had the advantage of having to adapt to that change years earlier, for the 2001 Florida Building Code, so I've been "successfully retrained" from having to remember two separation methods to only one separation method.

The South Florida Building Code (for Miami-Dade County and for Broward County) also had "fire rated assemblies" between garages and living space, however, Palm Beach County did not, and I did about half of my inspections in Palm Beach County, so I had to keep my mind flipping back and forth between three codes (there were two editions of the South Florida Building Code, one for Miami-Dade and a different one for Broward).

I was glad we went to a single state-wide code (Whew!), except that we lost a lot of good things (from the two SFBC versions) while picking up other good things from the ICC codes (Palm Beach County was under the old SBCCI Standard Building Codes).

That made it actually easier for this old dog to learn - less to remember.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com