Bob Lynett Guest

Default Keeping the client off the roof

I have just a general question to see how most inspectors handle keeping the client off the roof. I always tell them that they are not insured on my ladder in case they would fall or get hurt, but in some cases eager Joe just follows up right behind me. I realize the few like to see what they are buying, but I tell them if I find anything unusual I will take pictures for them to see. I am interested to hear your responses.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Keeping the client off the roof

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lynett View Post
    I have just a general question to see how most inspectors handle keeping the client off the roof. I always tell them that they are not insured on my ladder in case they would fall or get hurt, but in some cases eager Joe just follows up right behind me. I realize the few like to see what they are buying, but I tell them if I find anything unusual I will take pictures for them to see. I am interested to hear your responses.
    It's tough sometimes. I had a roofer for a client. It was an easy roof to get on, and I, of course, told him my in$urance didn't cover him, but I let him come up. He stepped in some new roofing tar and ruined his shoes.

I had another client who was renting the home and was going to buy it. He came out on the porch roof with me. His golden lab followed us out the window onto the roof!

Bob,

I will get firm with the client on this one. He77 no, you can't go up on the roof is my comment to them. You usually will know quickly when starting an inspection if the client is going to be one of those who follow you around like a shadow or not.

Ask them if you were their Proctologist, do they think they'd follow you around on everything or question whether you are doing your job or not?

rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    ...You usually will know quickly when starting an inspection if the client is going to be one of those who follow you around like a shadow or not...
    I usually want them to follow me around like a shadow, as long as they don't have screaming kids in tow, which is a whole 'nuther subject. Just not on the roof.

That is when I give them a copy of my agreement to look over and sign. It is towards the beginning of the inspection and I tell them. I...and I stress the "I am going up on the roof, look over my inspection agreement and I will be back in about 5 to 10 minutes."

I found the most effective way was to state "Not with my ladder, ask the seller for permission to go on their roof and ask to borrow their ladder."

Still, sometimes they would wait for me to get out of sight on the roof and come up, for me to find them later.

Once, I saw a client up on the roof out of the corner of my eye, I was about done, so I went around the roof acting as though I had not seen him, came down and took the ladder down. Heard him yelling for the ladder a few minutes later.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I never have had a problem with anyone wanting to get on the roof with me. It could be that I try to take care of the roof as soon as I arrive at the house, and that is usually 15-30 minutes before my client.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    ...I try to take care of the roof as soon as I arrive at the house, and that is usually 15-30 minutes before my client.
    Same here, if possible. I always take a couple of photos, too, in case my client is upset that he/she didn't actually see me on the roof, to prove I was there.

Bob Lynett Guest

Thanks you guys for the responses, I just wondered if I was the only one having that problem.

Back in the 80's I had a fellow HI get sued by an agent who broke his leg falling of his ladder after my friend told him to stay off his ladder. That was good enough for me and I pretty much followed Rick and Jerry P's approach. When that didn't work I asked them "what part of NO don't you understand?"
    I also recall going back to my ladder after finishing my roof inspection which was up against the rear of a building and finding my client's 2 little boys perched on the parapet. That sent a chill through me that day and still does when I recall it.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

I generally do as Scott. Get it done before they show up. In the instances where they are early (or I am late), I rarely have people want to follow.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Jake Guerrero Guest

Talking Re: Keeping the client off the roof

Or if you need to give them visual proof...

YouTube - Home Shopping Ladder Blooper

Reminds me of a Realtor.

Brian Hoagland Guest

Need to keep them out of the attic too! Problem is that you can't tell the owner of ther property he can't follow you up there. Had an owner fall through the sheetrock of the garage in their own home just two weeks ago. He followed me up and by the time I realized he was even there I was 25 feet away and he was on his back with his feet through the ceiling. He didn't get seriously hurt but was over 60 yrs old. I kept yelling at him to stay put-don't move until I get there, but he got up and all I could think was if this guy wants my help out of the attic I'm gonna tell him no and have his wife call the paramedics in.