Thread: Weighted Panels

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Weighted Panels

I was going up into the attic of the garage at my inspection yesterday through the ceiling hatch and the balance of the panel was very unsteady. It felt like I was trying to lift a fish tank, very unsteady but not as heavy. When I got the panel to the side and got up through the ceiling, I saw why the panel felt so odd. The access hatch to the main attic had these as well.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Brandon Chew Guest

Default Re: Weighted Panels

Homeowner booby trap for the inspector? Good thing you didn't tip the cover as you lifted it. That could have slid off and conked you on the head or broken the foot of someone standing down below.

Look out Nick! The squirrels have been working out. They're huge!

Possibly to keep it weighted down so it sealed better around the bottom to reduce drafts?

In South Florida, that would have been to keep it from fluttering up and down during hurricanes ... dead serious, those attic covers will flutter up and down if not secured in place (most in Miami-Dade county are secured in place with hook and eye fasteners).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jon Randolph Guest

That luann plywood cover for the attic access voids any attempt at fire separation, unless a firewall was present within the attic itself.

BTW, good thing that you did not tilt that cover too much while lifting it.