Thread: Amperage Draw

Default Amperage Draw

My wife is big into helping the environment. She showed me this article about "vampire" power, where the clocks and other elements use power even when the appliance is not in use. Is there something you can plug the appliance into that will tell you how much juice it is pulling at any given time? I am kind of curious to see how much is actually being used.

Some of the stuff is pretty obvious, but our toaster or coffee grinder shouldn't be using any power when not in use, but then again maybe they are.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Michael Larson Guest

Default Re: Amperage Draw

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
    Is there something you can plug the appliance into that will tell you how much juice it is pulling at any given time?
    Try this. I have a similar unit.

Richard Stanley Guest

I first heard about that from a tree hugger a few months ago - She had everything un-plugged that was not in use - I couldn't resist asking why. She: " Haven't you ever heard of vampire electric usage?" Me: "Hell no."
    She: Explained it to me. Me: "you're nuts."
    I also caught the tail end of something on one of the morning news programs the other day. Probably a recent article in a publication or news letter of some sort, ie; flat earth, global warming, etc.

I also have that kill-a-watt device. I love it. I just wish it worked on 220V items. Amazing how much less amperage a newer refrigerator uses over the old ones. I compared appliances to my electric bill to see what everything was costing per day/month etc. Anybody know of a similar device that might work on a 220V circuit (of course it would have to be installed in the panel or something).

Michael Larson Guest

Many devices do have a small standby current but it adds up over the life of the product.

Your TV and any remote controlled device are drawing power to listen for the remote.

Same goes for anything with a rechargeable battery in it.

Thanks. I just ordered one. I'll let you know what I find out.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
    where the clocks and other elements use power even when the appliance is not in use.
    "when the appliance is not in use"

Actually, that is a misnomer ... those appliance 'is always' "in use" when plugged in.

Anything with clocks, computer chips, anything which keeps track of anything or has timers uses a little electricity while "unattended", but, if you want to enjoy the benefits of what you paid for (such as the coffeemaker which turns itself on in the morning so your cup of coffee will be ready and waiting for you) ... *they have to use* electricity while "unattended" ... otherwise they could not do what you wanted them to do.

Try unplugging the alarm clock when you walk out of the room and are 'no longer using it' and see if it serves your purpose when you walk back into the room later to 'use it again' ... duh, of course not, not until after you 'reset it' after plugging it back in.

Other things (things which do not need to keep track of anything) do not use that power, no need to. Turn a light out ... no unseen power use ... you could "unplug it", but why?

Want a quite glance as to what is using all that unseen power use?

Go into your office where your computers and stuff are kept without turning on the light ... now count all those LEDs you see - Oh Gawd! - I've got about 18 of them in my office!

Not to mention all those "stored electricity" clocks and things running off batteries - that "power" is not "free" either. Heck, I've got 6 of those things too.

Then, of course, there is the printer which is "in standby" ... but how does it "wake itself up" ... by the little bit of power it uses to "keep track of things which need to be kept track of".

Just do this: Wait until just after bedtime and everything is 'off', go get your clamp on ammeter, take the cover off your panel and measure the current on both phase legs and the neutral/ Multiply the neutral current by 120 volts and multiply the lowest phase leg current by 240 volts ... that's how much power is being used 'to keep track of things which need to be kept track of'.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com