Default hot water toilet

I don't see this amenity too often but once again it popped up. Hot water line to the toilet. When I lifted the lid off the steam started coming out. It was HOT!
    I've been wondering is this a nice feeling amenity while sitting? Should I consider this for my own home? It gets awful cold up here in the winter. Anyone have one of these?

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper
    www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Joshua Hardesty Guest

Default Re: hot water toilet

It's a nice amenity in winter until it sits for a while, the water in the bowl and tank get cold, you flush, hot water rushes in, and cracks the porcelain.

On the other hand, they do make heated seats.

Nolan Kienitz Guest

You can 'steam' hotdogs in there for lunch.

I had a 'new home final' once that had roughly 75% of all plumbing lines (hot-cold) crossed over.

Custom home, big bucks. Should have been a 3-4 hour inspection that took about 10-hours due to all the problems that just seemed to "never stop".

Heated water in toilets makes for a nice breeding area for germs. Not a great idea.

Jon Randolph Guest

I would think that the heat would tend to magnify any odors released.

Ron Bibler Guest

You could gets some great INFRARED IMAGING from hot water toilets.

Good idea.

In my experience, hot water to toilets indicates they reversed the hot and cold connections at the water heater.

Easy to correct at single handle faucets, not so easy to correct elsewhere, such as at the toilets, hose bibbs, etc.

It's also possible that the insulated line is now the cold water line instead of the hot water line.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

This one isn't going to be so easy to fix. The toilet is hooked up to the normal stub/shut-off coming out of the wall at the left side of the toilet.
    I should point out I found this on the reinspect.
    During the original insp the hot water tank was off. Better yet though during the org insp. There was 3/8" tubing attached to the hot water side under the vanity from a double shut-off valve. The tubing ran through the vanity, through a drilled hole in the side of the vanity over to the toilet. I noted in the report that the toilet may be hooked up to the hot water (since it appeared so) but since the hot water wasn't actually running ...

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC

Dennis Kloth Guest

Some people have the bright idea that this will stop the tank from sweating, Know someone who tried it, not very nice to sit on, Like a sitting on a steam bath.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Hardesty View Post
    It's a nice amenity in winter until it sits for a while, the water in the bowl and tank get cold, you flush, hot water rushes in, and cracks the porcelain.
    "and cracks the porcelain"

Has been known to happen many times, and, when the next person sits down on that toilet, there is the real chance it can crack apart.

Serious injuries have been reported from those incidents.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks for the cracking info (no pun intended). I didn't think of that, will relay to client.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC

imported_John Smith Guest

In Houston, our cold water in the summer gets like hot water in other parts of
    the country. Put the water heater in the attic, and we get hot water even though we are piped correctly. I always flush the toilet at least 5 times and use my infrared thermometer to get temperature. Then I compare it to the hot side of the sink and the cold side of the sink.

Quote Originally Posted by imported_John Smith View Post
    In Houston, our cold water in the summer gets like hot water in other parts of the country.
    I had that at a house we owned in South Florida, with the water heater in the hall linen closet.

The problem was they ran the hot and cold water piping (copper) through the attic, and not down low in our under the insulation.

Both the hot and cold came out as HOT! until the lines were flushed and cooled by the hot water (yeah, the hot water cooled the hot water lines down) and the cold water.

Instead of waiting 15 minutes for hot water, we waited 15 minutes for cool (not cold) water.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

mathew stouffer Guest

It will make your wives and girlfriends happy, it will prevent shinkage.