Thread: S##!TTy Day

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default S##!TTy Day

I was on the way to my 1:00pm inspection in downtown Philly when my car seemed to running strange. The engine was revving higher than normal and the tach was gauging high. On the way home, I'm on 76 (John understands), the over-congested main highway through Philly. Now my car is really revving high and just won't level out. Out of curiosity, I mash the gas pedal to see what happens and hear a CLUNK. The engine is still running but the drivetrain won't engage. I knew it had to be the transmission. I was in the left lane of a 4 lane section on the road and the shoulder was on the other side. Rush hour in Philly is not a good time to expect other drivers to let you weave through 4 lanes of traffic. Luckily, I had just enough momentum and just enough gracious drivers to get over to the shoulder where I came to a standstill. Looks like my 1996 Explorer has bit the dust. The cost of a new transmission will exceed the value of the car.

I can't complain too much as I haven't had a car payment in 7 years. Looks like that is about to end.

Inspection Referral

Default Re: S##!TTy Day

That's bad, but, on the bright side, you're lucky to be alive after having that happen on the "Distress-way", as my wife calls it.
    I nearly bought it a couple years ago when 70 mph traffic came to a screeching halt ... and the guy behind me wasn't paying attention. Fortunately, instead of rear-ending me, he swerved to the left, bounced off the median, and then back into my left side. Banged my vehicle up pretty good, but I was able to drive away and he wasn't. And the really miraculous part? He actually had in$urance! I mean, come on. In Philadelphia?

Nick,

Your going to be looking good though in that new truck.

rick

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    Looks like my 1996 Explorer has bit the dust. The cost of a new transmission will exceed the value of the car.

I can't complain too much as I haven't had a car payment in 7 years. Looks like that is about to end.
    Hmmmm ... new truck and new truck payments ...

or

... old truck with gold plated tranny in it ... and no truck payments ...

hmmmmm ...

... weighing the options ...

... ya know, I kinda did really like that old truck ... an no payments ... that sounds good too ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

It sounds like a fried transmission for sure.

I have heard of this before on a Ford and could also apply to other makes:

On models that have a transmission computer, it uses a signal derived from one of the spark plug wires. A bad plug wire can cause a very bad transmisison symptom that is actually a cheap repair.

New tranny equals 3-4 monthly payments and lasts another 7+ years...

New car smell...

Decisions, decisions!

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Nick,
    I had a 94 Explorer and when I was driving to TN for my move, my engine started reving out of control too. I didn't have the same reaction you did (transmission), but mine turned out to be a computer chip of some sort.

Hope it turns out to be something other than a new truck for you.
    JF

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    New car smell...
    That comes in a can now - probably only about 5 bucks. Probably get several uses out of it too.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I really don't want a new car payment but the blue book value on the car is only about $2,000 and the cost of a refurb transmission (if needed) will go about $2,500-$3,000. The car has 168,000 miles which isn't too bad but it's also been leaking oil for the past 3+ years and in the past 6 months, my gas mileage per tank has dropped and I now don't even get 300 miles out of a full 20 gallon tank. I'll hold out hope for a cheaper fix but when I left it at my garage tonight, I turned the engine over to see if it was still toast and the engine now revs very rough, tachs just above stalling at idle, and makes a shuddering vibration.

I tried that new car smell scent once Jerry and it didn't smell anywhere close to resembling new car. It was some perfumey crapola. Blech!!!

Step up yo the plate.
    Take one for the team
    Our economy needs a boost
    You NEED that "new car smell
    Just this once, do it for YOU.
    You deserve this.
    Go for it.

Critical Home Inspection Services
    www.Home2Spec.com

Check your vacuum lines before you junk it. I have a 94 Explorer that acts like that, and it was because this tiny vacuum plug fell off at the manifold. Once we replaced the plug, it started acting more like normal. Now it's got lots of other problems, but we still drive it occasionally as a backup vehicle when the other ones are in the shop or if someone is visiting.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

I heard from my garage and they confirmed it needs a new transmission to the tune of $3,200. Also, it seems to have sustained some sort of engine damage when I was revving it high to get it over to the shoulder of the road (shuddering and barely enough idle to keep it from stalling). Combine the reduced gas mileage and oil leak and I'd say it's headed for the junkyard in the sky.

I'll report back when I get my new/used ride which should be in the next day or two.

FYI the scrap prices are very high now. I scrapped an old Ford Tempo a couple weeks ago for a friend. They were paying 11.5 cents a pound. I would think that Explorer would bring at least $500 for scrap.

Paul Kondzich
    Ft. Myers, FL.

Aaron Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kondzich View Post
    FYI the scrap prices are very high now. I scrapped an old Ford Tempo a couple weeks ago for a friend. They were paying 11.5 cents a pound. I would think that Explorer would bring at least $500 for scrap.
    Like most Fords, worth more as scrap than on the roll . . .

Aaron

Paul, the owner of the garage told me that as well so it may be my best option for getting something for the car.

Aaron............oh forget it.

Also a good time to get rid of any scrap and whatever wlse laying around. Here they paid for the total weight.

Paul Kondzich
    Ft. Myers, FL.

Donate it to a charity or maybe a high school or college automotive class.

You'll get more for it as a tax deduction to a charitible cause than selling it for scrap.

rick