Default Sun Nuclear Radon Monitor

I know this comes up periodically, but I am looking to buy one more 1027 if anyone has one for sale. I would like to buy one from another inspector if they are getting rid of one. If not will buy a new one from Sun Nuclear.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Sun Nuclear Radon Monitor

I have found very few bargains on monitors. E-Bay prices seem to run almost as much as a new one, then add in the calibration fee and you might as well buy a new one. Of course, sometimes they throw in the printer too.
    Good luck with your search.

I have found a couple of 1027's and I have a rule of thumb when I'm looking at buying a used one.
    1. It needs to be less than 3 years of age
    2. It needs to look like it is in good condition.
    3. I will not pay more than $250 for it. The last one I paid $210 for a 2 year old machine.

With calibration costing around $100+- a few dollars, and then postage and insurance you will spend on the average $150 to get a used machine calibrated. At last check you could by a new 1027 for around $500. I don't care much about the printers as I use a computer to read and print the report.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Bob Lynett Guest

I agree with Scott, I don't use the printers with the monitors anymore as the computer gives a much cleaner report that works with the software. I just dump it into a word document and email the client directly.

Randy King Guest

Are the Sun Nuclear 1027 Models easy to use? How long do they have to be placed? What are all of you charging? Where does most of your business come from? I am very curious because I do not perform any Radon testing and have been looking into getting into the market in my area and feel that a system such as the 1027 would be more cost-effective in the lung run. Any input would be much appreciated. Thank you!!

I have found pretty much every radon monitor I have seen easy to use.

All radon test equipment follows the same EPA protocol.

What I charge may not have any bearing in your area. You need to charge whatever it takes for you to make money. If I said $19.95, would you then charge that?
    I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but what I charge in East TN may be much higher, or much lower than someone charges in PA, or CA, or..... If it matters, call around your area and see what those guys charge.

If you decide to get into the radon testing business, I suggest you get some training, and take the test.

I'm sure your typo was an accident. "lung run"?

Randy King Guest

Yes, it was a typo. Thanks for the input though!

Jack-Which test are you referring to?

John Thompson
    Shelter Works Home Inspections, LLC
    Missoula, MT

Michael Greenwalt Guest

Randy,
    As mentioned in above post, if you are considering Radon monitoring, get training first from the NRPP (use one of its approved extension courses). Not "all" radon monitors meet current EPA, there are still monitors out there, CRM types, that do not take hourly readings and would not meet the minimum standards for real estate transactions. That being said virtually all new monitors do meet current EPA standards and protocols. Ebay does occasionally offer the older versions that do not. There are several types, and methods to radon testing and the protocols vary by type used. I would not get into marketing Radon until you have been thoroughly trained and tested; you are playing with lives here. Too many in our field fail to test appropriately and give customers, or sellers, failed results.
    "Radon, Nature's way of getting even!"

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Greenwalt View Post
    "Radon, Nature's way of getting even!"

I thought that was what "Death" was ... if you've made it through life that far ... that's your reward.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

"Lung Run" This is what you do when you see a reading over 200 on your 1027!

Did the run twice myself. Got a reading in the mountain above Boulder of 225 Picocuries and then another reading of 325 in the foothills where they had radon in the water.

//Rick

Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956

Vince Santos Guest

Environmental Solutions Association offers a good course on Radon Measurement. Depending on your state requirements, they also have a correspondence course. I purchased a 1027 and it's simple to use for sure but of course knowing how to use the CRM is only part of offering this ancillary service. Being able to educate your client on Radon requires some form of education on your part. The one thing I don't like about the 1027 is the short battery life of 20 hours. If the power goes out for more than that you have to do the test over.

Anyone know of a battery backup for these CRM's?

WOW 325, highest I have heard of is 225 in Lake George, CO. No wonder there is no fish there.

Paul Kondzich
    Ft. Myers, FL.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kondzich View Post
    WOW 325, highest I have heard of is 225 in Lake George, CO.
    Paul,

Someone in our ASHI group recently measured 700 pCi/L somewhere around Florissant. My highest reading was about 88 pCi/L up near Divide or Florissant.

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Hmmmm

Colorado
    Michigan
    Washington
    Tennessee
    Iowa
    Florida
    Minnesota

Don't see ant Texas folk here. I guess the radon doesn't like Texas!

Shoot, we are all going to go some time. Well, I won't be going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Hmmmm

Colorado
    Michigan
    Washington
    Tennessee
    Iowa
    Florida
    Minnesota

Don't see ant Texas folk here. I guess the radon doesn't like Texas!

Shoot, we are all going to go some time. Well, I won't be going anywhere.
    Radon is not much of an issue in Texas.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Breedlove View Post
    Paul,

Someone in our ASHI group recently measured 700 pCi/L somewhere around Florissant. My highest reading was about 88 pCi/L up near Divide or Florissant.
    A local inspector (ASHI guy) had a 490 pCi/L not long ago in the Nashville TN area. Highest I have found has been 109 pCi/L.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I have had two readings within four houses of each other with one at 139 and the second at 128. Both homes were less than eight years old.

Bill Thacker Guest

Sorry to revive an old thread but for those that do not use a printer on-site, how do you know if you have enough data for a valid test due to power outage, tampering etc... until you get back to your office?

I've had enough tests that did not have enough data for whatever reason, which required the detector to remain deployed or reset and restarted. I would not have known until I got back and would have needed to return instead of just leaving it in place. It saves a trip is what I'm saying.

Not that you can't still use your computer report, but the printer provides useful information in my opinion.

Bill Thacker
    AllPro - PA and MD Home Inspection and Radon Test - MD Licensed Home Inspector

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Thacker View Post
    Sorry to revive an old thread but for those that do not use a printer on-site, how do you know if you have enough data for a valid test due to power outage, tampering etc... until you get back to your office?

I've had enough tests that did not have enough data for whatever reason, which required the detector to remain deployed or reset and restarted. I would not have known until I got back and would have needed to return instead of just leaving it in place. It saves a trip is what I'm saying.

Not that you can't still use your computer report, but the printer provides useful information in my opinion.

Bill Thacker
    AllPro - PA and MD Home Inspection and Radon Test - MD Licensed Home Inspector
    Well they have a battery back-up . It has not been an issue for me and I have about 400 test over the past 3 years to look back at. Even tampering has not been an issue for me. Well, except when the homeowner got the home inspection results and tossed my CRM out in the front yard for me to pick up!

I guess if I found a problem I would contact the buyer or whoever to see if they want to retest, for an additional fee......

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Bill Thacker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Well they have a battery back-up . It has not been an issue for me and I have about 400 test over the past 3 years to look back at. Even tampering has not been an issue for me. Well, except when the homeowner got the home inspection results and tossed my CRM out in the front yard for me to pick up!

I guess if I found a problem I would contact the buyer or whoever to see if they want to retest, for an additional fee......
    That's funny.....about the CRM in the yard.

I've been let down by the battery and it only provides about 24 hours if new I think.

I have been burned by incomplete results. I have had to restart several tests. But I would find it difficult to charge the buyer for a technical malfunction and it would be difficult to backcharge the seller. I have had an issue with one CRM plugged into a very obscure switched receptacle. I have not had an issue with tampering so far...knock of wood.

If you've never had to repeat a test for insufficient data, that is great. For this I have found the printer useful.

Bill

I dump the report from my Sun Nuclear onto my laptop on site at the start of the inspection. I try to schedule the monitoring to be able to do this. That way I am able to give my clients the number right at the inspection, and answer any questions they may have about the results. I also send the report to them through email with the inspection report.

Bill Thacker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Jarvis View Post
    I dump the report from my Sun Nuclear onto my laptop on site at the start of the inspection. I try to schedule the monitoring to be able to do this. That way I am able to give my clients the number right at the inspection, and answer any questions they may have about the results. I also send the report to them through email with the inspection report.
    That serves the same purpose as having the printer. Kudos.

A terrific alternative solution Scott.

Bill