Default Type of Insulation?

What type of insulation is this? Having a senior moment here.

Anyone, anyone, Bueller?

Also check your pictures well. Embarrassed to say, I had not noticed that the flue pipe was separated till I got back to the office and scanned my pictures. I was more into the opening around the flue and the type of insulation at that moment. My bad.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

David Banks Guest

Default Re: Type of Insulation?

Rick. I am not sure from pic but maybe Loose fill Balsom or Rock wool. Most of the Cellulose I see is white.

Are you sure that flue is split? It looks like it's at a twisting elbow which could explain the offset look.... just a thought.

I'm thinking cellulose - most of what I see is either that color or a dark gray color.

You didn't mention, but I'm sure you got, the insulation around the vent/flue. Looks like a nice insulation baffle around that vent/flue ... sure did keep the insulation in around it pretty darn good.

I don't see it separated either, looks like a fire stop support with a support ring around the vent/flue.

What the opening does do, though, is allow you to see that there are no supports holding that vent/flue (other than the fire stop with support collar). As I under it, each section needs to be supported???

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jim Zborowski Guest

From the brown coler and texture, I'm thinking maybe Zonalite.

Cellulose

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Hard to tell at that resolution, but it looks most like cellulose, does NOT look like the Zonolite I see in my area. My first take was also that that’s an offset rather than a disconnected flue - again, hard to tell at this resolution. Also, is that lower portion single-wall pipe? In either case, is there sufficient clearance where it appears to penetrate the ceiling below?

BTW, this is why 1) I don’t do on-site reports and 2) I shoot lots of pics at full resolution (I realize the resolution in Rick’s photo is likely reduced for posting here).

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Richard Rushing Guest

No doubt in my mind that this is cellulose.

rich

How about peat moss? Seen it in a few older homes here, have a picture somewhere, complete with the paper bags it came in.

Quote Originally Posted by David J. Smith View Post
    How about peat moss? Seen it in a few older homes here, have a picture somewhere, complete with the paper bags it came in.
    David, thanks for the pic. I've looked for one to verify material for one of those "arguable deals" in the past.

It's not common around here but I've found this in at least 4 homes that I can recall.
    It was fairly compacted and combustible, when "tested outside of the attic."
    Don't assume that the chopped material is cellulose.
    Most old and new cellulose that I run across is greyish not brown, but there may be some brown around.

I advised removal and replacement with new material.

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

cellulose

In older homes around here the stuff that is exposed turns brown but if you dig down a bit it should be grayish color. Some times you can see the print on some of the particles. Be a great puzzle.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com