Mike Huppi Guest

Question Heating duct rusted out in slab

I did an inspection yesterday that the lower level ducts were in the concrete slab. I smelled moisture or mildue when I entered the home so when I pulled the vent cover on two registers I found they were rusted through and there was damp rocks and dirt because the duct was rusted through along with some carpenter ants.

Does anyone know of a repair for this or does the floor have to be jack hammered up to make new ducts

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Heating duct rusted out in slab

Do what I suggested years ago when I found some like that, only the ones I found were half full of water - pump them full of concrete and install new ducts overhead.

Of the house I did, in Palm Beach (yeah, it was expensive, but it had NOT been maintained, you would think that people with money would also have common sense ... wait, why on earth would I think that ), and was two story, so it *was* a problem, but I saw no other solution. Not that big of a problem in the realm of things though, the house needed a LOT of remodeling and deferred (being nice) maintenance, so install the new ducts then.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Steve Brooten Guest

I totally agree with Jerry. Ducts set in the concrete floor are going to be a problem. If not now, later. All of them I have seen have had rust or pest problems, and needed to be replaced. Pump them full of concrete and run them somewhere else! JMHO

Mike Huppi Guest

Thanks thats basically what I told them the only problem is that it is on the bottom floor and they can not get to the joists so its going to be a ugly mess to say the least.

Thanks for the fast reply

Mike,
    Can you post a picture of one of the rusted through carpenter ants?

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    - Paul Fix

Mike Huppi Guest

Talking Re: Heating duct rusted out in slab

OH you vewy funny rusted carpenter ants Ha