Inspection Referral

Default Re: Exterior Design Institute

Yes. Great course.

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Richard Stanley Guest

They also have (or did) an on-line course. Its pretty good, but, I suspect the live one is better.

Yes, I did. Great course that every home inspector should take. You will learn how water impacts a structure regardless of what the cladding is.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Regarding Exterior Design Institute (EDI):

Steven Turetsky:
    Yes. Great course.
    Richard Stanley:
    They also have (or did) an on-line course. Its pretty good, but, I suspect the live one is better.
    Scott Patterson:
    Yes, I did. Great course that every home inspector should take. You will learn how water impacts a structure regardless of what the cladding is.
    InterNACHI is pleased to hear such comments about EDI.

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

A.D. Miller Guest

I took their course 10 years ago (MA-TX 29). It was a relatively decent course that left me wanting for a plethora of details and was heavily weighted in the EIMA (EIFS Industry Manufacturers Association) direction. But it has to be better that what is offered by AWCI who is now officing EIMA in their building.

A lot has changed in 10 years.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Endza View Post
    A lot has changed in 10 years.
    LE: Each time I look in the mirror, I must agree. Oy vey, the gravity!

Richard Stanley Guest

Is Nicky buying EDI? Or did he already buy it?

Edit .. nevermind - I just found this..
    http://www.nachi.org/edi.htm

Last edited by Richard Stanley; 12-18-2009 at 05:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Stanley View Post

Looks like it. I'm surprised that Ray Lynch would sell it. EDI was the choice for folks who needed to learn about EIFS. They had some good trainers.

I dropped my EDI membership a few years back, the organization really did not offer anything outside of the Internet listing and even that was not all that good. Just glancing it looks like their membership is about half of what it use to be, might be why Ray is selling it. The calls for EIFS inspection have dropped off to almost nothing. I might do 6 EIFS inspections a years and back in the late 1990's to around 2004 I averaged around 2-3 EIFS inspections a week! Granted many were for lawsuits and class action settlements back then. Now that all of that is over, folks just want to know the condition before they buy. EIFS still has a bad name and homes with it they are still very slow to sell.

If this merger goes through I hope that the purpose for the creation of EDI is not lost and that many of the trainers will maintian a relationship. This type of training needs to be hands-on, it is virtually impossible to get what you need by looking at a computer screen.

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 12-18-2009 at 08:04 AM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

A.D. Miller Guest

The calls for EIFS inspection have dropped off to almost nothing.
    SP: I have had the same experience.

EIFS still has a bad name and homes with it are still very slow to sell.
    SP: And that, even with the army of EIFS apologists hard at work.

And how do you like your reporting software?

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

A.D. Miller Guest

And how do you like your reporting software?
    LE: I did use InspectionPro until the last time I updated computers and the schmuck who owns the company would not repspond to my emails for a code he requires when migrating to another machine. He's hell-bent on selling his "new and improved" version for $595 which does nothing more than the old version.

Nick might be able to help with Dominic. Here is Nick's cell phone #, 720 272-8578. Give him a call. He likes to handle member complaints himself.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Nick might be able to help with Dominic. Here is Nick's cell phone #, 720 272-8578. Give him a call. He likes to handle member complaints himself.
    It is a differant company (same name as Dominic's) that produced the EIFS software that AD is talking about. It was made by a company called Stephen Technologies.

FYI....
    From one of EDI's trainers:
    I corresponded with Ray Lynch (Founder and Exec. Director of EDI) today. He says that there is currently a joint agreement for EDI to provide Toxic Drywall Inspector training and certification to INACHI members as a member benefit. That training and certification is already available to EDI members through their web-based online training. He does not indicate any plans for EDI to be "assimilated" into INACHI, though he doesn't specifically deny it either. I guess we'll see what develops.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Stanley View Post

Now he can print all the training courses at the printing business he bought in Colorado a few years ago.
    After he pays for it he can go get it in the nascar stock car that he sponsers.
    I'm still waiting for him to take over this site since he bought it from Brian a couple years ago.

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Dan,

The inspection book publishing company is now run by Inspector Outlet I'm not sure but I think they publish about 15 different InterNACHI inspection books. You can view and order them there. They also publish InterNACHI's inspection textbooks. InterNACHI produces nearly all of the inspection industry's texts.

BTW, It was never NASCAR BTW, nor did we ever say it was. You made up that rumor. It was a stock car. They also hand-built an all-green, propane-fired off-road inspection vehicle to promote their free, online green building inspection course. The vehicle was sponsored by FREA and PRO-LAB and was showcased at ITA's 2007 Inspection Convention in Vegas. It was a huge booth draw. Here is a picture of it NACHI.TV, MoveInCertified, Ultimate Inspection Vehicle, and CMI in Vegas, October 2007 - InterNACHI You'll find a picture of me at that link.

Last edited by Lisa Endza; 12-18-2009 at 04:43 PM.
    Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Lisa. I stand by my statements.
    They are as iron clad as your employment contract with nicko
    If you do some minor research you will find he claimed it was an ARCA car, ARCA is a division of NASCAR

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

It may have been ARCA, I don't know anything about race cars, but he didn't build the stock car. Nick did build the off-road green vehicle from the ground up inside www.NACHI.TV Studios. Companies rent it for trade shows and put their logos all over it. It is booked out a year or so into the future. Did you see it at SEMA?

Last edited by Lisa Endza; 12-18-2009 at 04:59 PM.
    Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

It may have been ARCA, I don't know anything about race cars, but he didn't build the stock car. Nick built the off-road green vehicle from the ground up inside Did you see it at SEMA?
    I don't know who built the car, I just saw the posts where nicho claimed he sponsered it, then dressed it in nacho apperal

SEMA? Is that a new instant on-line pay nicko certificiation?
    Nope, anything with nachi written on it goes into my spam folders, including the spam email from nachi that does not have the option of opting out.

www.inspectaz.com

I don't know who built the car.
    Here is a picture of Nick working on it. Sneak peek of NACHI TV's " The Making of the Ultimate Inspection Vehicle" - InterNACHI

As for spam, you may have gotten some emails from us this week. Did you?

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

As for spam, you may have gotten some emails from us this week. Did you?
    Yep. And after requesting I be removed from your email list, a reply from nichos newest elete student in training called me an a.. hole.
    She did wish me Merry Christmas before the name calling. Does that make it ok??

Since I have requested my name be removed from your list several times in the past, is it true your site, or emails can be shut down for a few days when I complain to the proper people?

www.inspectaz.com

Yep. And after requesting I be removed from your email list, a reply from nichos newest elete student in training called me an a.. hole.
    She did wish me Merry Christmas before the name calling.
    She was hired for her accuracy. Is it not Christmas?

You got back on a new list because you did business with an inspection industry vendor quietly owned by InterNACHI. I guess that makes you our client, Dan

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

She was hired for her accuracy.

You got back on a new list because you did business with an inspection industry vendor quietly owned by InterNACHI. I guess that makes you our client, Dan
    I only buy from professional advertizers on this site, and professional prefered ASHI venders.
    If any of them are quietly owned by nick. You can be assured when I find out which vender it is, I will never intentially support any one that has any part of bashing others in this profession, and would not do business with them again.

www.inspectaz.com

I only buy from professional advertizers on this site, and professional prefered ASHI venders.
    Very wise.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

A.D. Miller Guest

She can send me email anytime she wants . . .

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Richard Stanley Guest

She's drinking the kool aid.

Lisa, being Christmas and all, I hate to break this news to you.
    The excuse since I buy from inspection venders that are quietly owned by nick, and that now makes me a nacho clinet does not pass the test.

After reviewing the previous spam nacho emails, I found that all the spam emails nachi sent to me are to an email address that I do not give to venders, or anybody else.
    Yep, I'll be darned, who would of guessed , it's the same email adress that is only used by other Home Inspection vender spammers use to spam me.
    Hmmm, I wonder who sells that email address to others...

Looks like you will have to have your high priced lawyers think of another excuse.

Last edited by Dan Harris; 12-19-2009 at 08:35 AM.
    www.inspectaz.com

Dan, InterNACHI creates great products and services for home inspectors. Almost all of them are yours for free. Have the good sense to take advantage of them. Do it for your family.

PS. Claire says "hi."

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Dan, InterNACHI creates great products and services for home inspectors. Almost all of them are yours for free. Have the good sense to take advantage of them. Do it for your family.

PS. Claire says "hi."
    FREE ? Do you think I'm as gullabile as an obomaitte.
    I sure don't consider Paying Nick $289.00 for his products, and services that I can get here for free, getting something from nick for free.

Join your org for my family. That's why I don't do it. Why would I pay some person $s that's, called me dumb, stupid, a scum bag, thinks I should be killed , since I don't pay him, and made it clear, if I don't pay him he will destroy me, and any other HI org that I choose to join. To top it off his newist employee considers me to be an a..hole
    Why should my family suffer from me getting no inspections due to the repetutation of his org, chat board, a few dishonest inspectors, after customers search me, and see that I am affiliated with such unprofessional crap, and marketing scams.
    Yes many customers do research their inspector, to date, after hiring me, I've had 10 plus make a comment about the unprofessionalizm of your org.

Last edited by Dan Harris; 12-20-2009 at 02:05 AM.
    www.inspectaz.com

Brian still owns this board doesn't he???

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Jim Weyenberg Guest

I hope Brian still owns it, if notchochez, does I'm GONE.
    Jim Weyenberg
    HouseMaster Inc.
    NE. WI.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Weyenberg View Post
    I hope Brian still owns it, if notchochez, does I'm GONE.
    Jim Weyenberg
    HouseMaster Inc.
    NE. WI.
    I'm sure Brian still owns it.
    If it was controlled by nicko it would be all nacho advertizing all the time, instead of just part time

www.inspectaz.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    I'm sure Brian still owns it.
    If it was controlled by nicko it would be all nacho advertizing all the time, instead of just part time
    DH: Perhaps Brian's silence at this point speaks volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    DH: Perhaps Brian's silence at this point speaks volumes.

I think he's still around. A couple weeks ago he gave us heck for getting too carried away on one of the topics.

Since he's a newly wed I noticed he hasn't been here as much, just figured he has better things to do than keep us in line 24/7

Last edited by Dan Harris; 12-21-2009 at 07:41 AM.
    www.inspectaz.com

A.D. Miller Guest

I think he's still around. A couple weeks ago he gave us heck for getting too carried away on one of the topics.

Since he's a newly wed I noticed he hasn't been here as much, just figured he has better things to do than keep us in line 24/7
    DH: But, is the Hann the owner, or an employee/sub?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schulz View Post
    Brian still owns this board doesn't he???
    Why would you ask?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Why would you ask?
    SP: I think they are just attempting to monitor the spread of Nick's empire.

Doesn't really matter but I kind of would miss Brian running the forum. Like loosing a friend you know. Also it's just nice to be part of peers group without any special interest organizations.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    SP: I think they are just attempting to monitor the spread of Nick's empire.
    Or perhaps they are amazed that Brian has not stepped in and shut down the bantering.

The subject of this thread is very meaningful to me. I was disappointed when it turned into another boring bashing contest of little value.

I spoke to Ray Lynch, he informed me that EDI has not been sold. There is a joint project with InterNachi limited to Chinese drywall.

I will add, "who knows what the future will bring?" If it ever should be that EDI is sold, I hope the new owner is dedicated to EDI and its misssion, and continues to promote the good reputation that EDI has.

A.D. Miller Guest

I spoke to Ray Lynch, he informed me that EDI has not been sold. There is a joint project with InterNachi limited to Chinese drywall.
    ST: So how does that square with this?

InterNACHI Acquiring EDI - InterNACHI

I read the statement and it sure sounds like they acquired EDI. Especially since EDI has not put forth a statement clarifying the issue.

I have always preferred to stand clear of the inter-association squabble. Just because someone is a member of a certain association, it does make him a bad inspector, and just because someone is a member of a certain association it does make him a good inspector.

I understand people's feelings and I'm not disputing anybody. I just can't think of too many threads, where the discussion was helped by the squabble.

EDI has now been drawn into the squabble. I don't see how that can be helpful.

If EDI was acquired, I am concerned. I would prefer that EDI not be run by any other group. I would prefer that who ever runs EDI, holds EDI and its mission, as their primary interest.

A.D. Miller Guest

I read the statement and it sure sounds like they acquired EDI. Especially since EDI has not put forth a statement clarifying the issue.
    ST: Yes, but in all fairness, it would not be the first time that Nick doctored the truth, now would it?

Just because someone is a member of a certain association, it does make him a bad inspector, and just because someone is a member of a certain association it does make him a good inspector.
    ST: Agreed.

I just can't think of too many threads, where the discussion was helped by the squabble.
    ST: Perhaps not many, but some.

EDI has now been drawn into the squabble. I don't see how that can be helpful.
    ST: Promotion is the reason. I am reminded of the story of Benjamin Franklin, boy printer, who in order to draw attention to his business, moved all of his supplies down the streets of Philadelphia in a wheelbarrow with a wheel he'd purposely neglected to grease. The squeaky wheel draws attention.

Thumbs up Re: Exterior Design Institute

If Nick buys IN, you guys that hate him still have the snooze fest at TIJ...

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Elliott View Post
    If Nick buys IN, you guys that hate him still have the snooze fest at TIJ...
    BE: Z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z . . .

AD: So time will tell. Que sera, sera. I have the best interest of EDI at heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Why would you ask?
    Scott,

It matters a great deal to me.
    I still remember exchanging emails with that megalomaniac several years ago when he barged into a friendly email exchange between me and a local HI "friend" and remains a friend regardless of his stupid sharing of an email with Nick. Nick has a very low opinion of anyone who isn't "him", working for "him" or subscribing to "him". If you dare to disagree with him the conversation will quickly drop into the muck and mire led, of course, by "him". I finally had to ignore him and hope, like the pesky fly, that he would simply go away. Like any P. T. Barnum, he has a following.

His insanity goes way beyond the pale. I give him the same credit for his success that I give Goring, A. Hitler's one-time rival for leadership and subsequent "communications director" of the National Socialist Democratic Party, not a right-wing outfit, if you get my drift. Goring did a great job if you wish to mislead the sheep of the world and bully anyone who still has a brain into submission. I offer Nick the same fate as Herr Goring. The public is stupid, including a lot of HI's wanting overnight credibility. We know that. The truth is that you "can't fool all the people all the time". Someday a dawn will break on the horizon and all will be known.

I believe that otherwise congnizant people will follow anyone who will offer them the pablum they desire at "just the right price". The old saying that "there's a sucker born every minute" was so right.
    I wouldn't mind quite so much except that the scam affects how the public views our industry. If they keep getting crap for home inspection reports and HI's keep shielding themselves from responsibility with "return of fee only" clauses there will come a time when hiring a "professional home inspector" won't have nearly the value as it has in the past. That bothers me a lot. Bottom feeders will smell up the place over time. I know that Nick is not solely responsible for all that is wrong with our industry but he has taken what was bad, dipped in dung and offered it to bottom feeders as a "cure all" for their credibility needs.

Life isn't fair but one can still hope that someone one day will cry out "The emperor has no clothes!" and creditialing will require either a proven record of responsibility towards the public (ie., no shielding of responsibility beyond "return of fee") or real academic training and internship just like other professionals; P.E.'s, C.P.A.'s, physicians assistant's, Licensed Practical Nurses, Certified Medical Assistants. It's a darn shame that even a CMA has more credibility than most HI's and the HI gets more money with less responsibility. It just ain't fair.

If Brian has sold this site I submit that he should make us aware even though it is a free site.
    I always feel that I need a shower after going onto Nicky's web sites which I do only when someone has linked something of relative value. His outrageous claims of credibility - "Inspected once, Inspected Right" is just too much to accept from an inspector selling certification "online".

I have heard the anguish of homebuyers in Greensboro and Winston-Salem who had to pay for roof replacement, $7,200, the same week they took possession of the home after a NACHI CERTIFIED inspector submitted his report with no mention of the worn roof. These so-called CERTIFIED inspector count on the timidity of the average home buyer towards litigation. These guys are the wolves of our industry that devour innocent home buyers everyday.
    I have followed so-called "certified" inspectors just two weeks later to find over $50,000 in damages that included two roof leaks and a flooding crawl space, 2005 construction, each time it rains. In both cases, the "return of fee only" clause was a shield against responsibility. It stinks and the home buying public is going to get wise to it very soon.
    Remember...people who "stand for nothing will fall for anything". If we, as responsible service providers stand idly by without speaking out against this practice we are complicit in our silence.

I realize that I have taken a simple question about a site's ownership and turned into a rant against (a) the "him" and (b) incompetent inspectors wearing the badge of NACHI CERFICATION, which they lawfully earned "online". My apoligies to you for the rant but no apologies for the sentiment towards the "ONLINE CERTIFIED" or anyone who includes a "return of fee only" clause in their inspection agreement. They do the industry a great injustice. It matters to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Edwards View Post
    Scott,

It matters a great deal to me.
    I still remember exchanging emails with that megalomaniac several years ago when he barged into a friendly email exchange between me and a local HI "friend" and remains a friend regardless of his stupid sharing of an email with Nick. Nick has a very low opinion of anyone who isn't "him", working for "him" or subscribing to "him". If you dare to disagree with him the conversation will quickly drop into the muck and mire led, of course, by "him". I finally had to ignore him and hope, like the pesky fly, that he would simply go away. Like any P. T. Barnum, he has a following.

His insanity goes way beyond the pale. I give him the same credit for his success that I give Goring, A. Hitler's one-time rival for leadership and subsequent "communications director" of the National Socialist Democratic Party, not a right-wing outfit, if you get my drift. Goring did a great job if you wish to mislead the sheep of the world and bully anyone who still has a brain into submission. I offer Nick the same fate as Herr Goring. The public is stupid, including a lot of HI's wanting overnight credibility. We know that. The truth is that you "can't fool all the people all the time". Someday a dawn will break on the horizon and all will be known.

I believe that otherwise congnizant people will follow anyone who will offer them the pablum they desire at "just the right price". The old saying that "there's a sucker born every minute" was so right.
    I wouldn't mind quite so much except that the scam affects how the public views our industry. If they keep getting crap for home inspection reports and HI's keep shielding themselves from responsibility with "return of fee only" clauses there will come a time when hiring a "professional home inspector" won't have nearly the value as it has in the past. That bothers me a lot. Bottom feeders will smell up the place over time. I know that Nick is not solely responsible for all that is wrong with our industry but he has taken what was bad, dipped in dung and offered it to bottom feeders as a "cure all" for their credibility needs.

Life isn't fair but one can still hope that someone one day will cry out "The emperor has no clothes!" and creditialing will require either a proven record of responsibility towards the public (ie., no shielding of responsibility beyond "return of fee") or real academic training and internship just like other professionals; P.E.'s, C.P.A.'s, physicians assistant's, Licensed Practical Nurses, Certified Medical Assistants. It's a darn shame that even a CMA has more credibility than most HI's and the HI gets more money with less responsibility. It just ain't fair.

If Brian has sold this site I submit that he should make us aware even though it is a free site.
    I always feel that I need a shower after going onto Nicky's web sites which I do only when someone has linked something of relative value. His outrageous claims of credibility - "Inspected once, Inspected Right" is just too much to accept from an inspector selling certification "online".

I have heard the anguish of homebuyers in Greensboro and Winston-Salem who had to pay for roof replacement, $7,200, the same week they took possession of the home after a NACHI CERTIFIED inspector submitted his report with no mention of the worn roof. These so-called CERTIFIED inspector count on the timidity of the average home buyer towards litigation. These guys are the wolves of our industry that devour innocent home buyers everyday.
    I have followed so-called "certified" inspectors just two weeks later to find over $50,000 in damages that included two roof leaks and a flooding crawl space, 2005 construction, each time it rains. In both cases, the "return of fee only" clause was a shield against responsibility. It stinks and the home buying public is going to get wise to it very soon.
    Remember...people who "stand for nothing will fall for anything". If we, as responsible service providers stand idly by without speaking out against this practice we are complicit in our silence.

I realize that I have taken a simple question about a site's ownership and turned into a rant against (a) the "him" and (b) incompetent inspectors wearing the badge of NACHI CERFICATION, which they lawfully earned "online". My apoligies to you for the rant but no apologies for the sentiment towards the "ONLINE CERTIFIED" or anyone who includes a "return of fee only" clause in their inspection agreement. They do the industry a great injustice. It matters to me.
    Try Prozac.
    Get some sleep.

I hope the days look brighter for you in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Edwards View Post

Dang, it's good to know, there are some others left out there that haven't given up and decided it's just best to shut up, just pay nick , and accept the cancer in our profession.

www.inspectaz.com

Hi all,

Not to worry, InspectionNews is still my baby. Nothing has changed at all, no sale has been made, just got a new sponsor for this section. There are over 104,000 post on this site and no way can I read all the new post made every day. I've got other parts of the business to tend to.

I'm open to all inspection associations, services and products sponsoring InspectionNews. That is how I have been able to keep it fee for you all these years so please remember to visit the sponsors on every trip you make to InspectionNews.

If you have any pull in an association or want to advertise your service or product to 12,000 + members please let me know.

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Dang, it's good to know, there are some others left out there that haven't given up and decided it's just best to shut up, just pay nick , and accept the cancer in our profession.
    My old man taught me it is best not to disparage your competition so I guess we are not really brothers after all.

As the Joker said......why so sad.

Merry Christmas
    Peace ,Love and Brotherhood to all.

My old man taught me it is best not to disparage your competition so I guess we are not really brothers after all.

As the Joker said......why so sad.

Merry Christmas
    Peace ,Love and Brotherhood to all.
    Hey Bro
    If your old man taught you that, why would you support and pay someone to disparage your brothers?

www.inspectaz.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hannigan View Post
    Hi all,

Not to worry, InspectionNews is still my baby. Nothing has changed at all, no sale has been made, just got a new sponsor for this section. There are over 104,000 post on this site and no way can I read all the new post made every day. I've got other parts of the business to tend to.

I'm open to all inspection associations, services and products sponsoring InspectionNews. That is how I have been able to keep it fee for you all these years so please remember to visit the sponsors on every trip you make to InspectionNews.

If you have any pull in an association or want to advertise your service or product to 12,000 + members please let me know.
    Thanks Brian

Just goes to show how rumors start.

Hey Bro
    If your old man taught you that, why would you support and pay someone to disparage your brothers?
    I pay $289 to have the best represent me, and from your reaction I choose well.

Answer 2
    I never bash anyone unless defending myself which is ethical by any standard.

Answer 3

I am not responsible for any individuals comments that happens to be associated with any group I belong to any more than other ASHI members are responsible for your constant association bashing.

All one needs to do is backtrack all the comments ,threads,and posts to see who is typing what.

Never saw Nick on this forum in the last month I started posting.

I have seen posts titled Whats up or wrong with NACHI.
    I have seen this thread go from saying EDI is great to all of a sudden it is cr-p in the blink of an eye on the false assumption it is being run by NACHI.

Sorry but I have 4 reports do do in the next 24 hours so have fun if there is nothing better going on.

Thank you Dan.
    I realize that my rant was wide ranging and particularly critical of people buying certification emblems. Sometimes it just gets under my skin how some practioners of this industry treat the industry that has given many of us a darn good living. Worst yet is how some HI's place dollar limits on their responsibility to the client.
    My attitude is if they don't trust themselves beyond a certain dollar limit why should the homebuyer? Everyone should have equal "skin in the game" or it leads to abuse of the consumer. The consumer is risking tens of thousands of dollars when they invest in a "professional home inspector". The playing field should be level with the inspector at risk as well. I guaranty you that most of the clients don't have a clue what they are signing and agree that the HI is taking no risk beyond a certain dollar amount, usually the amount of the fee or a multiple thereof. With a deal like that you don't have to be good, you just have to be lucky. So what if you miss a roof or damage that is "accessible and visible". If they complain you return the fee and tell them to shut up. Maybe some readers of this missive would never mistreat their clients this way but I have spoken to many homebuyers that have already suffered at the hands of the "certified", regardless of the association to which they pay dues.
    Thanks for listening.....
    ...also, glad to know Nick doesn't yet own this site. I didn't need another shower tonight.

Never saw Nick on this forum in the last month I started posting.

I have seen this thread go from saying EDI is great to all of a sudden it is cr-p in the blink of an eye on the false assumption it is being run by NACHI.
    If I recall ole nicko was banned from this site.
    When do you think he started name calling of this site, then tried to hijack this site by leaving one "n" out of the new website he created?

Funny you mention the EDI topic. Did you notice it was dead for over a year and a half, UNTILL, guess who started it back up.?
    Of course we all know , if nicki said it, it must be true.

www.inspectaz.com

Getting back to EDI. I bought their EIFS training materials a few years back and was very disappointed in the quality. Disjointed and confusing printed and CD-rom materials made it difficult to absorb the information. I hope (and have heard from attendees) that the classroom sessions are very good. I would advise folks to pursue the classroom if interested in the cert.

Now, back to the NACHI debacle. I've had a pretty dim view of that association's professionalism but I have chosen to be a member. Why? Because they provide a lot of resources for the money and they are always looking for more ways to be a benefit to their members. I don't care about the Gromicko's personal lives or about any petty feuds between them and other HI organizations.

I'd like to bring up the "Limited to Fee Paid" liability issue. I agree that it is a raw deal to consumers and I often point that out to my clients when discussing our contract. However, in the State of Illinois our appellate court has upheld that clause in HI contracts. Why would I hang myself out to dry if I don't have to? I have E and O and we have very high inspection standards....I should increase my liability out of some sense of altruism? Wouldn't that really be telling my clients that I don't trust myself to do a good job?

If there was some sort of protection against frivolous or petty lawsuits against HI's then I would be happy to see an increase in direct fiscal responsibility on the part of the HI. Just some thoughts. Happy New Year.

Dan Cullen
    www.domicileconsulting.com
    Chicago IL

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cullen View Post
    Now, back to the NACHI debacle. I've had a pretty dim view of that association's professionalism but I have chosen to be a member. Why? Because they provide a lot of resources for the money and they are always looking for more ways to be a benefit to their members. I don't care about the Gromicko's personal lives or about any petty feuds between them and other HI organizations.

Dan, I think you miss the point somewhat on how NACHI is viewed by concientious inspectors. I hope we can all agree that the term "Certified" is overused by all associations and practitioners at this time. I tell people daily that the term means absolutely nothing at this time.
    Anyone who is comfortable using the term after successfully completing an unproctored "online" exam is so disconnected with reality that a substantive discussion is most likely out of the question. For that reason, alone, most of us have decided to tip toe softely around those who have drank the "kool aid".
    I only mention "him" and his megalomania to enlighten those who may not be aware. I don't assume that everyone has had the same experiences that I have had. As to the benefits of membership, I care deeply with whom I associate. There can never be enough benefit for me in that association simply due to the false ascertions made to the home buying public of the membership. The members are not any more qualified than the newest novice as a result of the qualifying exam. That, alone, should be enough.

I'd like to bring up the "Limited to Fee Paid" liability issue. I agree that it is a raw deal to consumers and I often point that out to my clients when discussing our contract. However, in the State of Illinois our appellate court has upheld that clause in HI contracts. Why would I hang myself out to dry if I don't have to? I have E and O and we have very high inspection standards....I should increase my liability out of some sense of altruism? Wouldn't that really be telling my clients that I don't trust myself to do a good job?

If there was some sort of protection against frivolous or petty lawsuits against HI's then I would be happy to see an increase in direct fiscal responsibility on the part of the HI. Just some thoughts. Happy New Year.
    If you see inequity in your contract with your clients why do you continue to perpetrate the injustice? I know you do not intend to use it as a shield but, if that were true, why have it in your contract?
    HI's do use it as a shield long before litigation begins. I have evidence of that fact. In fact, more often than not, the clause retards litigation as the client feels that he has been mugged by his inspector and is somewhat ashamed of being a victim. I know. I have spoken to the homebuyers and that is exactly how they see their inspector.
    They believe that they were "too trusting" of everyone from the inspector to the Realtor. They vow that it will not happen again. I am on their side. They have been mistreated and harmed by a so-called, CERTIFIED, and licensed professional. What a laugh if it weren't a true story.

You state that you have E & O insurance. So what? Many E & O insurance carriers, according to my fellow HI's, require the "limitation of refund" clause in the contract. For what other reason would the carrier require the clause if they did not intent to use it as a shield?

If you did as I do and remove the clause from your contracts you could point out to your clients, and prospects when they call, that you do not have a "return of fee" clause in your agreement as so many other inspectors do.
    In doing so you will be telling your client that "you do trust yourself" beyond the loss of a fee, and they can as well.
    Keeping the clause in your agreement is a glaring statement that you do not trust yourself beyond the loss of the fee. Hopefully, you can see that. If you don't, then this discussion is fruitless and there is no reason to discuss it further.

You mentioned liability, which is something with which we all have to deal.
    It's simple.
    #1 Agree to provide a service according to the Standards of Practice of either your state regulatory board or your membership-driven professional association. Be sure to provide a readily accessible document outlining these standards for your client prior to acceptance of the agreement.
    #2 Include an arbitration clause within your agreement that specifies that a knowledgeable expert in the field of home inspections must be used for arbitration if the client wishes to proceed to a settlement of any dispute. There is an arbitration company that specializes in construction, warranty and home inspector disputes and they provide service nationwide. They're home-based in Charlotte, NC.
    #3 Require, in the agreement, that the client take action on any "recommendations" within the report or lose the opportunity to make any claims regarding that system or component later. If I recommend repairs to a system and no "on site" action is taken prior to closing I refuse to be responsible for findings within that system at a later date. They failed to follow their hired expert's recommendations. End of story.
    #4 Require that the client allow for a timely inspection of the disputed component.
    #5 Require that the client specify in writing exactly which of the "standards" you breached in the performance of the inspection and subsequent report prior to moving on to arbitration.
    #6 Specify that any plaintiff, regardless of who they may be, pay all the cost of arbitration, typically $600-800, so that you aren't dragged into mindless expense without first being proved at fault.
    #7 Perform your inspections in an exemplary manner and write your reports following all the standards required by the governing authority. It really isn't all that difficult for a trained, or experienced, professional. It is nearly impossible for the untrained, part-time and/or marginally literate inspector. But then, why would we want to protect them from the public? They are often the problem, "certified" or not, aren't they?

So, Dan. I've revealed to you my secrets. There is protection against frivolous law suits. If you follow the standards while performing the inspection and writing the report you can rest assured that very few clients will pursue monetary redress when they have to front the cost of arbitration. If they have a case you will want to provide redress for them as soon as you are made aware of the problem, won't you? If you refuse to be bullied and suggest that they attempt arbitration "according to the contract" they go away. I've seen it happen in the few times I've been annoyed with the 1% of the public that expects something for nothing. I've enjoyed being a full-time inspector for 20 years. I, too, had a learning curve. I feel extremely comfortable without including a "weasel clause" in my agreement. Soon, conscientious HI's will remove it from their agreements to be fair with their clients regardless of the insurance carriers or influence from lawyers. You should lead rather than follow.

InterNACHI realizes that some inspectors don't like unproctored, online education, quizzes or exams. But the fact is that they are used by Harvard, Yale, the U.S. Military, and nearly every government agency and licensing board that approves anything to do with inspections. For example, InterNACHI's free, online courses, quizzes and exams are approved by:

Alaska Department of Commerce Community and Economic Development, Division of Corporations, Business and Professional Licensing, Home Inspector Program
    Arkansas Home Inspector Registration Board
    California Department of Pesticide Regulation
    Colorado Department of Agriculture, Division of Plant Industry
    Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection, Home Inspector Licensing Board
    Delaware Department of Agriculture, Pesticide Compliance
    Georgia Department of Agriculture
    IAC2
    Idaho Department of Agriculture
    Indiana Real Estate Commission, Home Inspector Licensing Board
    Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation
    InterNACHI
    International Distance Education Certification Center
    Kentucky Department of Housing, Buildings and Construction, Board of Home Inspectors
    Kentucky Public Protection Cabinet Office of Occupations and Professions Board of Home Inspectors
    Maine Department of Agriculture, Food & Rural Resources, Board of Pesticides Control
    Maryland Department of Agriculture, Office of Plant and Pest Management
    Massachusettes Department of Agricultural Resources
    Master Inspector Certification Board
    Michigan Department of Labor and Economic Growth
    Mississippi Home Inspector Board
    Missouri Real Estate Commission
    Montana Department of Labor and Industry, Business Standards Division
    Montana Department of Labor and Industry, Business Standards Division 2
    Mountain Metro Association of REALTORs
    Nevada Department of Agriculture
    Nevada Department of Business and Industry, Real Estate Division
    New Hampshire Home Inspector Licensing Board
    New Jersey Office of the Attorney General, Division of Consumer Affairs, State Board of Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors, Home Inspection Advisory Committee
    New Mexico Department of Agriculture
    North Dakota Secretary of State
    Ohio Department of Agriculture
    Ohio Department of Commerce, Division of Real Estate & Professional Licensing
    Oklahoma Department of Agriculture
    Oklahoma State Department of Health, Occupational Licensing Division, Committee of Home Inspector Examiners
    Oregon Construction Contractors Board
    Oregon Department of Agriculture
    Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture
    Rhode Island Division of Agriculture
    South Carolina and Clemson University Department of Pesticide Regulation
    South Dakota Real Estate Commission
    Tennessee Department of Agriculture
    Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance, Division of Regulatory Boards, Home Inspector Licensing Division
    Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance, Home Inspector Licensing Division
    Texas Real Estate Commission (TREC)
    Utah Department of Agriculture
    Vermont Agency of Agriculture, Food and Markets
    Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation
    West Virginia Department of Military Affairs and Public Safety, State Fire Marshal's Office
    Wisconsin Department of Regulation and Licensing
    Wyoming Real Estate Commission
    Wyoming Department of Agriculture

You may view InterNACHI's approvals and accreditations here.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

InterNACHI realizes that some inspectors don't like unproctored, online education, quizzes or exams. But the fact is that they are used by Harvard, Yale, the U.S. Military, and nearly every government agency and licensing board that approves anything to do with inspections. For example, InterNACHI's free, online courses, quizzes and exams are approved by:

Alaska Department of Commerce Community and Economic Development, Division of Corporations, Business and Professional Licensing, Home Inspector Program
    Arkansas Home Inspector Registration Board
    California Department of Pesticide Regulation
    Colorado Department of Agriculture, Division of Plant Industry
    Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection, Home Inspector Licensing Board
    Delaware Department of Agriculture, Pesticide Compliance
    Georgia Department of Agriculture
    IAC2
    Idaho Department of Agriculture
    Indiana Real Estate Commission, Home Inspector Licensing Board
    Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation
    InterNACHI
    International Distance Education Certification Center
    Kentucky Department of Housing, Buildings and Construction, Board of Home Inspectors
    Kentucky Public Protection Cabinet Office of Occupations and Professions Board of Home Inspectors
    Maine Department of Agriculture, Food & Rural Resources, Board of Pesticides Control
    Maryland Department of Agriculture, Office of Plant and Pest Management
    Massachusettes Department of Agricultural Resources
    Master Inspector Certification Board
    Michigan Department of Labor and Economic Growth
    Mississippi Home Inspector Board
    Missouri Real Estate Commission
    Montana Department of Labor and Industry, Business Standards Division
    Montana Department of Labor and Industry, Business Standards Division 2
    Mountain Metro Association of REALTORs
    Nevada Department of Agriculture
    Nevada Department of Business and Industry, Real Estate Division
    New Hampshire Home Inspector Licensing Board
    New Jersey Office of the Attorney General, Division of Consumer Affairs, State Board of Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors, Home Inspection Advisory Committee
    New Mexico Department of Agriculture
    North Dakota Secretary of State
    Ohio Department of Agriculture
    Ohio Department of Commerce, Division of Real Estate & Professional Licensing
    Oklahoma Department of Agriculture
    Oklahoma State Department of Health, Occupational Licensing Division, Committee of Home Inspector Examiners
    Oregon Construction Contractors Board
    Oregon Department of Agriculture
    Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture
    Rhode Island Division of Agriculture
    South Carolina and Clemson University Department of Pesticide Regulation
    South Dakota Real Estate Commission
    Tennessee Department of Agriculture
    Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance, Division of Regulatory Boards, Home Inspector Licensing Division
    Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance, Home Inspector Licensing Division
    Texas Real Estate Commission (TREC)
    Utah Department of Agriculture
    Vermont Agency of Agriculture, Food and Markets
    Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation
    West Virginia Department of Military Affairs and Public Safety, State Fire Marshal's Office
    Wisconsin Department of Regulation and Licensing
    Wyoming Real Estate Commission
    Wyoming Department of Agriculture

You may view InterNACHI's approvals and accreditations here.

Lisa, taking online classes and quizzes is not the issue. We were discussing the practice of taking a CERTIFICATION EXAM in an unproctored environment ONLINE.
    Surely, you can see how this practice provides zero assurance to the home buying public. The term CERTIFIED has no real meaning when it is AWARDED in this manner? I'm surprised that some slick attorney hasn't attempted to hold the "certification mill" responsible in some third party lawsuit for all the damage it's done. It's a travesty and a grievance against the innocent, home-buying public.

Do you want to be under the knife of an "online certified" surgeon or anesthesiologist? (I sincerely hope you will answer that question in this forum.) Just think. What if your surgeon, took their CERTIFICATION EXAM ONLINE IN THE COMFORT OF THEIR OWN HOME after taking an ONLINE study and pledging, with all their heart, that they are "who they say they are and that they had absolutely no help with their FINAL ONLINE EXAM. Before you answer, just think about it for a short while. Hopefully, it won't take long for you to understand the seriousness of this issue. If you think ONLINE CERTIFICATION is OK for inspectors why not these other "trusted" professionals?
    How about a CPA that took their final exam for "certification" online in an unproctored environment? Please, can we be serious?

If, as you have suggested, Ivy League schools are going "open book" or "online" for their Final Exams, which is what CERTIFICATION is equal to, I need to go back to school before the door slams closed again. When I was in school that kind of cheating was dealt with swiftly and justly.

If there are any Ivy League school grads reading this I invite your to speak up to support Lisa's ascertions of how you became so easily degreed. Tell me how easy it was to be awarded your diploma: Ph.D. or Juris Doctor, whatever the case. Or, tell us all that this practice would never be acceptable in a serious academic environment where the awarding of a CERTIFICATE, or diploma, has a significance worthy of praise and universal acceptance as a result of rigorous training and examination process required to earn said CERTIFICATION.

Now, in the field of home inspections, where people intrust their life savings to an untrained, inexperienced, part-time, but CERTIFIED, home inspector, can we seriously accept this as being NORMAL and ACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOR? I don't accept it and I cannot recommend it to a friend. A new saying..."Friends don't let friends get CERTIFIED ONLINE."

David Bell Guest

While I agree that online education has become more the norm than it was, to give credentials from an online test does nothing but flood the market with inept and ignorant people that will serve no purpose but to degrade the industry and destroy the integrity of the profession.

Tom, I'm not sure which exam you are talking about as InterNACHI requires the passing of so many different exams.

However, InterNACHI's Code of Ethics 1.10 requires that all our members also pass a state-proctored exam in those states that require a proctored exam. InterNACHI members voluntarily fulfill InterNACHI's rigorous educational requirements on top of, and in addition to any proctored exams required by their local jurisdiction.

In good conscious, InterNACHI cannot issue certification based on one minimum-standard beginners exam used by many states to license newbies fresh out of school alone. And any association that would issue "certification" based on one beginner's exam used to license fresh newbies should be ashamed of themselves.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

In good conscious, InterNACHI cannot issue certification based on one minimum-standard beginners exam used by many states to license newbies fresh out of school alone. And any association that would issue "certification" based on one beginner's exam used to license fresh newbies should be ashamed of themselves.
    LOL is it getting deep here?
    Lisa what beginners exam are you talking about?
    I can only assume your talking about the nacho on-line home inspector certificiation quiz that was taken with my cats names [ Bobbie A Feline, Tuxedo Ferral] that nick sent them a congratulations letter for passing the nacho certificiation on-line quiz with an 83% in 14 min.

Then to top it off, he figured he found a couple more suckers and sent them several follow up letters begging them to send him $289.00

www.inspectaz.com

Tom, I'm not sure which exam you are talking about as InterNACHI requires the passing of so many different exams.

However, InterNACHI's Code of Ethics 1.10 requires that all our members also pass a state-proctored exam in those states that require a proctored exam. InterNACHI members voluntarily fulfill InterNACHI's rigorous educational requirements on top of, and in addition to any proctored exams required by their local jurisdiction.

Lisa, did you work for Bill Clinton earlier in life? Your attempts to obfuscate the issue are very similar in nature. "Uh, it depends on what the meaning of "IS" is." I'm sure we all remember that line. Well, those of us old enough to remember, that is. One benefit of being older and astute is that you have lived through some historical events.

Every member of your association that I have met has admitted that they were offered CERTIFICATION along with their membership fee. Are you denying this? Inquiring people want to know. The rest of the "requirements" are so much fluff. Just answer that simple question if you can.

That is correct. There is no extra charge to members for their certification. It is included in their membership fee. But I don't know what you mean by
    The rest of the "requirements" are so much fluff.
    These are very large, approved and accredited inspection courses with numerous quizzes and lengthy exams. Can you explain?

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast