Default Subpanel quickie

OK, AMONG OTHER PROBLEMS, this garage subpanel is fed from a 60 amp breaker in the house. Pic 1 is the home and Pic 2 is the garage. How would you word the 100 amp main in the garage other than WRONG!

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Subpanel quickie

Forgot these...

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Neag View Post
    OK, AMONG OTHER PROBLEMS, this garage subpanel is fed from a 60 amp breaker in the house. Pic 1 is the home and Pic 2 is the garage. How would you word the 100 amp main in the garage other than WRONG!
    There is nothing wrong with feeding a 100 amp breaker or panel from a 60 amp breaker or panel, the most you have available for *ALL* panels is still 60 amps.

There is also nothing wrong with having a main in each panel (in fact, I prefer it, for safety reasons, just absolutely no requirement for it). All you need to remember is that that second main is 'not service equipment' and to treat it as such, i.e., neutral isolated from ground.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Richard Rushing Guest

*If* you are absolutely sure that the garage is fed from the panel shown on the left (the main), then the equipment panel in the garage should have the neutral and ground bar removed-- isolating the neutrals and the grounds.

You must make sure that this is the case (garage fed from the home/main panel).

Rich

Richard Rushing Guest

Well, upon closer look... it appears that both (bar) sides of the garage panel are connected with neutrals only. I cannot see any grounds. My bad (if that's the case).

RR

RR, that's what I saw too. I convinced myself that the 100 amp breaker would allow too much current but forgot what was feeding it

thanks for the help gents.