Richard Roshak Guest

Default Distance to combustibles

On this pre-fab fireplace, where would you measure the 6" to side combustibles, from the edge of the refractory panels or the slate surround?

Rich

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Distance to combustibles

Start by finding the owners manual to see what the clearances are required by the manufacturer.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Refer; IRC 1001.11 Exception 3 & 4.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Exclamation Re: Distance to combustibles

Uh, this is a factory built fireplace. R1001.11 deals with masonry fireplaces. R1004 deals with factory built fireplaces and simply states to install per the listing. Most do Not require the normal 6" surround masonry fireplaces do.
    Bob

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Randy Clayton Guest

You must first determine is this a fire place or a gas aplliance of which those restrictions will not apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
    Uh, this is a factory built fireplace. R1001.11 deals with masonry fireplaces. R1004 deals with factory built fireplaces and simply states to install per the listing. Most do Not require the normal 6" surround masonry fireplaces do.
    Bob
    You're correct, I jumped the gun and will now remove egg from face. Jeeze, I only taight this for 14 years, guess it's old age?

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

It sure looks like a fireplace to me (not a gas appliance), based on the soot and the tools stored next to it (unless they're there for effect). Most telling of all, the original questioner stated that it was fireplace.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Frederickson View Post
    It sure looks like a fireplace to me (not a gas appliance), based on the soot and the tools stored next to it (unless they're there for effect). Most telling of all, the original questioner stated that it was fireplace.
    Steve,

You are missing the obvious ...

This is what Rich posted: "On this pre-fab fireplace", he did not post the fuel type.

Thus, quite obviously, *it could be* a "gas fireplace", and, depending on the type of gas fireplace, it could only be a "gas appliance" (with the gas logs removed).

It also could be, just as obviously, a "solid fuel" fireplace (although it looks pretty clean to be a wood burning one).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Richard Roshak Guest

It is a 16 year old pre-fab wood burning fireplace. It was a very nice mantel, however I was concerned about clearances to combustibles.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Roshak View Post
    It is a 16 year old pre-fab wood burning fireplace.

As I said ... ... I was "obviously" way off base.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry, you're right. I noticed my error as soon as I hit the "post" button. I thought he had said it was wood-burning, but I probably just assumed that when I saw the photo. In either event, no sense beating a dead horse. Whether it's wood or gas, I agree that if it's a manufactured unit the clearances are usually left up to the manufacturer and the installation specifications.