mathew stouffer Guest

Default Vent termination

Any thoughts on this furnace vent termination. IRC states 12 inches above the door with exhuast directed away from the building. This was a large condo complex and I don't have my UBC book. The furnace is 85,000 btu high efficiency.

Thanks
    Mat

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Vent termination

That's nuts. It'll drip condensate on people!

mathew stouffer Guest

Not to mention I accidentally left the door open and you could smell the products of combustion (the furnace was new and it had that great new smell).

Randy Clayton Guest

Are you sure it was an exaust vent or a return? A return maybe not a problem; but exuast no way it should be moved.

mathew stouffer Guest

Randy,
    I check the IRC and it says 12 inches. Do you know what the UBC says?

Hell, NO! That has to go. What a complete moron installation. Combustion gases and condensate drip in front of the door isn't going to work. Depending on conditions you could also get an ice ball on the ground in front of the door.
    Since there is only one pipe visible, I would look at how/where they are pulling combustion air for the unit. Probably from the closet that the unit is in? Is it big enough or are there transfer grilles on the wall, louvered bi-fold, etc. What is the set-up or is the unit going to starve for combustion air?

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

mathew stouffer Guest

Markus,
    Thanks for the info, I agree the location is not well thought out. Howerver, IRC section 1804.2-1804.2.6 states the vent termination shall not be less than four feet below, four feet horizontally from, or one foot above any door, window or gravity air inlet into a dwelling. This was 13 inches above the door. Do you know what the UBC says.

Mat