Default How much lean is acceptable on a Condenser ? See the photos

How much lean is acceptable on a Condenser ? (See the photos). Iwrote both of these up. Both generally appeared to be more than 15 degrees out of level and or close to a problem. What do you guys think ?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Re: How much lean is acceptable on a Condenser ? See the photos

I just eyeball them Gene. If they look out of level like the ones in your pics, they go in the report.

The Installer (loose term for this application) must not have wanted to Service This Equipment.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

From the 2006 IRC. (underlining is mine)

- M1305.1.4.1 Ground clearance. Appliances supported from the ground shall be level and firmly supported on a concrete slab or other approved material extending above the adjoining ground. Appliances suspended from the floor shall have a clearance of not less than 6 inches (152 mm) from the ground.

Almost looks to me like you've got a ski jumper there on skies getting ready to push off down the jump.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Randy Clayton Guest

Jerry is right look in any installation manuals and it states for a solid level surface thats all no tollerance for unevenence.

Jon Randolph Guest

I use 10 degrees as a standard. Looks like that one will only get worse, in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Randolph View Post
    I use 10 degrees as a standard.

Jon,

Ever look at how steep 10 degrees is?

It equates to 2-1/8 inches per foot - that like taking a 24" wide condenser unit setting on a level pad and sliding a 4x4 (3-1/2") with a 1x4 (3/4") on of it (total height of 4-1/4") in under one side, tipping the condenser unit over far enough to slide that in.

That one photo looks like the condenser unit is setting on an upside down flotation device (Styrofoam beads and concrete = little weight) and, at most, it looks to be, at most, maybe 1" in 12" slope.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

'Level' may not be a correct standard anymore for some units. I looked at some 16 SEER units last year (and took the cert. class for 16 SEER). The unit manuals and class literature both stated that the units should be slightly out of level to help drainage at the bottom of the unit.
    I don't think they were talking about the 1st picture though. The lean on the 2nd pic isn't too bad but inadequate support.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    'Level' may not be a correct standard anymore for some units.

The unit manuals and class literature both stated that the units should be slightly out of level to help drainage at the bottom of the unit.
    Years ago, some of the installation instructions wanted the same thing, for the same reason, and stated 'up to 1/4" per foot slope'. If that is in the manufacturer's installation instructions, that would trump the code's "level" (or maybe I should say 'clarify' what the code's "level" tolerance is).

A common tolerance for 'level', as in for accessible surfaces, is " 2% ", which equates (is equated to) " 1/4" per foot " (duly noting here that 2% is not-quite 1/4" per foot, but that 1/4" per foot has become the accepted 2% maximum slope / cross slope).

To me, "shall be level" means "shall be level", and that the manufacturer may well state "to a maximum slope of 1/4" per foot", then again, the manufacturer may not state that, they may state 'on a level pad', which, again, means "level" ... or there abouts.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Cary Seidner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    I just eyeball them Gene. If they look out of level like the ones in your pics, they go in the report.
    Me too. Out of level (or plumb) = uneven wear on the motor = shorten life span.

Jon Randolph Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Jon,

Ever look at how steep 10 degrees is?
    I know that 10 deg. is a lot to be out of level, but I saw somewhere that more than 10 deg. and the compressor will be starved of oil. I have searched, but can not locate where I saw that at.

I use 15 degrees as a rule of thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Barnicle View Post
    I use 15 degrees as a rule of thumb.
    Matt,

That's Quite a Lean.

Last edited by Billy Stephens; 05-09-2008 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Added 15' line
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Randy Clayton Guest

Jon, the amount of lean not only for other reasons is not for lack of oil but more so the fact of overloading of oil and blowing out rings and seals..

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    That's Quite a Lean.
    And over she goes ...

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com