Thread: Duct work

Randy Clayton Guest

Default Duct work

I'm running across this more often in new construction;duct installed directly into the back of the the plenum box they say this is ok,but I still have a problem with this any ideas???

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Duct work

What is your problem specifically. Are you used to sheet metal?
    Your photo looks like all the production builders in this area.
    No problem with the principal other than there is more resistance with distribution box and flex ducts as opposed to sheet metal with smooth transitions and wye's.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Not sure of the problem either. I don't like lots of flex, especially straight off the unit. I've looked into this here. It's Ok if:
    - combined snakes have sufficient CFM as to not choke the airflow
    - if sleeve is metal not vinyl
    - our Code has length limitations for snakes, vinyl and metal, especially in Res. Commercial code is different also

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Sorry, FOIL, not exactly metal

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC

Randy Clayton Guest

Ok this is what I see is that there is no back pressure being present; that with that duct being installed directly into the back of the plenuim box the majority of air like water will take the path of least resistance; and will flow straight through the box and not out the side ducts with out this back pressure? I may just be old school or am I missing something that I'm overlooking?? Still does not make scince to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Clayton View Post
    Ok this is what I see is that there is no back pressure being present; that with that duct being installed directly into the back of the plenuim box the majority of air like water will take the path of least resistance; and will flow straight through the box and not out the side ducts with out this back pressure? I may just be old school or am I missing something that I'm overlooking?? Still does not make scince to me.
    Randy,

Depends.

As in "depends on where/what that duct goes to.

It may go to another distribution box, in which case the entire duct would reach some static pressure level, depending upon the design of the system.

You don't want that going straight to a supply register, no.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

---- will take the path of least resistance; and will flow straight through the box and not out the side ducts .
    Randy,

The End Duct is Smaller than the side ducts.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Randy Clayton Guest

Well that is true about the size of the duct;still in my mind would never put it there;old dogs can maybe learn new tricks?!?!

Ron Bibler Guest

I think randy is correct. I have 2. 6" duct at the end of my plenum box and i get more pressure then from the side 4. 10" duct. If it hits the back and then finds its direction the pressure to each will be the same.

But then they may have a redirect in front of that end duct.

I think

Best

Ron

Well that is true about the size of the duct;still in my mind would never put it there;old dogs can maybe learn new tricks?!?!
    The longer the run of the duct the more static pressure .

If the end vent is smaller and longer more force is needed than a larger and shorter run.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

I used to carry a regular electric tester. Then a couple years ago I upgraded to a "Fieldpiece" brand. Not only is it an electrical tester but it is built to accept many different attachment heads for different purposes. I have the AMP clamp, the carbon monoxide detector head and for this thread the CFM meter head.
    When I'm especially suspicious of a system, I'll pull out the head and measure the CFM at various registers and grilles. It really comes in handy to prove a point. Also cuts the BS from the hvac guy way down.
    Fieldpiece Instruments - Hand Held Instruments For HVAC/R Installation And Maintenence
    I've had mine for a couple years and they work great, even after many falls.
    Fluke and some of the other companies are also making this type.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC

Markus,

That is one very nice piece of equipment you have there. I spent some time looking through the online catalog. Which model do you carry? How much should one expect to pay for it? (I didn't see any prices on their website)

Allen, I have the HS36 multimeter as the primary unit, the AC current clamp head ACH4, the carbon monoxide ACM3 head and in relation to this thread the air velocity and temperature head AAV3.
    The multimeter was maybe 120-140 it came with the AC clamp and a bag. The AAV3 was maybe +/- $100. The carbon monoxide head was more though. I think a couple hundred. It's been awhile. There are more heads I'd like to get, just waiting for the right job to come along to need them.
    I bought the units through my HVAC supplier, I think that's where they are primarily sold.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC