Thread: Gurgle...gurgle

Don Sweet Guest

Angry Gurgle...gurgle

Hey guys, what causes a sink to gurgle when no apparent water is running anywhere in the house?

Driving everyone crazy!

Thanks,

Don

OREP Insurance

Randy Clayton Guest

Default Re: Gurgle...gurgle

Don that was just discussed on the other post its proberly the ac drain

Don,

My mother's house is located near the coast and she gets some really high winds when the storm come in across the pacific. The air flowing across the roof causes the pressure to drop rapidly in relation to the pressure in the house causing the water level in the toilet bowls to drop and the sinks to gurgle.

Does this happen during high winds? If not, then ignore my post.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...ary-drain.html

This is the other thread referred to earlier.
    The thought being the drain line on the A/C is not trapped and vented properly and is forcing air into or out of the condensate line under pressure of the blower.
    Gunter's thought seems to be similar except with the outdoor wind pressure difference causing air to gurgle past the plumbing trap(s) only during high wind events.
    Other thoughts, could be a blocked vent that lets a trap get sucked nearly dry... try tracking the noise to the particular trap and isolating the times that it happens (i.e. only when the wind blows out of the south over 10mph, anytime the a/c runs, etc.)
    90% of fixing a problems is isolating the symptoms so that it can be reproduced or at least explained to the plumber, tech in enough detail for them to have a clue about what is going on.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Don Sweet Guest

Smile Re: Gurgle...gurgle

Thanks for the notes y'all.

Weather was warm and kinda balmy as I recall...not windy. The AC drain set-up could be the culprit.

Thanks. Don