Default Any reason to keep grease trap?

50 unit condo conversion here in Chicago. First time running into this. Told client I would follow up so I am. I couldn't remove lid (hermetically sealed) and would like to address intelligibly. No disposal in unit.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Any reason to keep grease trap?

Ross,

Checking the manufacturers installation instructions page 9 diagram shows a clean out or vent on the discharge side.

http://www.rkfdseparators.com/Catalog.pdf

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Thanks Billy.

On page 7 of that link it shows the top cover removed and the screens lifted up, and includes the statement:

"Allow headroom for lifting out screens for cleaning."

It does not look like that headroom is provided for in that photo.

Is that in a condo unit's kitchen? Why does it have a grease trap?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Grease traps are generally not installed anymore in apt/condo due to problems (people never service them). I know that the plumbing insp's don't like to see them and don't generally ask for one.
    Some developers will install an interceptor in the basement that can be serviced instead of all those individual units.
    I'll try to get ahold of one of the City PI today and respond tonight.
    As per 07 City code
    - 18-29-1002.1 exception #3 the grease trap 'may' be installed
    - 18-29-1003.1.1 depending on interpretation does not require a grease trap
    - 18-29-1003.2 "Wastes that do not require treatment or separation need not be discharged into any interceptor or separator".
    - 18-29-1003.3.1 where required
    - 18-29-1003.13 access and maintenance requirements

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

I got a hold of my guy. Installation of grease trap in condo unit Ok per code but frowned upon. City PI and Sewer prefer superbasin for building. Determination of what should be used and sizing is made by the Sewer Dept. not plumbing dept.
    Grease trap can be removed and regular trap installed.
    Condo is legal SF in IL, grease trap not required for SF. However grease trap required in multiple dwelling buildings exceeding 6 units. (Let the fight begin)

If it were my insp. I would be checking permit history on the property. It doesn't make sense to install 50 grease traps like that. They are way too expensive. I tend to be highly suspicious when dealing with condo conversions.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC

I worked on a condo unit once, that, when built, lacked the required "central" collection grease trap. The builders answer to the violation, was to install individual grease traps in each unit.
    The comment that the individual grease traps are not maintained, is absolutely dead on. The only time those things got any attention was after back-ups started occuring.
    Ross..... If you are religious at all.... Thank God that you were unable to remove the lid.
    As a volunteer EMT for 20 years I came across a lot of "ODORS" but, nothing comes close to the stench of a grease trap.
    Had you been able to open it, the unit would not have been habitable for days.

Critical Home Inspection Services
    www.Home2Spec.com

Damm good point Victor, I know I won't open one the times I see them. Why would you want to if the water drains, it drains. If it doesn't it not the HI's issue.
    Ross, if you give me a fax number I can copy the code pages and fax them to you. Sorry I'm not as cool as Jerry and some other guys, I don't know how to really do the scan, upload, thing. I always buy the actual books not the disc's. I like making notes in the books.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    I always buy the actual books not the disc's. I like making notes in the books.

I buy both. I like the books for some things, such as notes and highlighting, but I like the CDs for finding, copying and pasting code sections.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Dan Kuznitsky Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Neag View Post
    50 unit condo conversion here in Chicago. First time running into this. Told client I would follow up so I am. I couldn't remove lid (hermetically sealed) and would like to address intelligibly. No disposal in unit.
    What company in Chicago is doing the work? I used to work for a company that did lakefront conversions there....

The Chicago plumbing code is very clear on this. Grease traps are required in buildings of more than 3 stories. There is enough room under that sink to clean the trap.

I have been in many of buildings clean out them type of grease traps, the one pictured is considered a very spacious area to open it up and clean the screens and such.