Kevin Casey Guest

Default Septic Tank Plug

Can someone give me some info on the usual location, size, etc. of 1,000 gallon concrete septic tank plug? It'd be nice to know just what the thing looks like, how big it is (deep as well as diameter), and how prone they are to getting dislodged, sucked up, or leaking in general.

A picture's worth a thousand words, but I can't find one.

Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Jon Randolph Guest

Default Re: Septic Tank Plug

Not quite sure what you are referring to. That may be why you cn't find any information. Can you further describe what you think a septic tank plug is?

Kevin Casey Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Randolph View Post
    Not quite sure what you are referring to. That may be why you cn't find any information. Can you further describe what you think a septic tank plug is?

This site references a plug: Septic Tank Cleaning - wash-down of the septic tank during pump-out can give additional information about septic tank condition

How to inspect Septic Tanks

This poor fellow seems to have tried to make his own:

October 29, 2007

Jon Randolph Guest

Most tanks around here are cast concrete or polypropylene (plastic) and do not have a plug like a steel tank may. I have never seen a plug, but apparently they do exist.

As far as knocking them loose during pumping/cleaning, they do use a rake like tool to stir up the sludge on the bottom while they are pumping. I would think that this action itself could dislodge the plug.