Jeffrey L. Mathis Guest

Default Whirlpool feet not on the floor

I'm currently at war with a builder over the proper way to set a whirlpool tub. My logic says that if there are feet, they are there for a reason. Supporting the tub on a wall only may violate any warranties from the tub manufacturer. He's willing to squirt a can of Great Stuff under the feet. It's too late to do it the way I was taught (a bed of mortar) Any comments?

JLMathis

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Whirlpool feet not on the floor

Get a copy of the installation instructions and have the builder follow them. Manufacturer's instructions are part of the code, not merely a suggestion or a good idea.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey L. Mathis View Post
    ..He's willing to squirt a can of Great Stuff under the feet...
    I think that tells you all you need to know about this "builder".

Joshua Hardesty Guest

Here's an idea: Have this builder squirt a blob of great stuff the same width as the foot of the tub. Then, fill up a 5 gallon bucket with water and rest it on top of the cured great stuff and let's see how well it holds.

Water weighs about 8.3 pounds per gallon, that's a heck of a lot of weight to be supported by the rim. (No wonder the instructions say not to.)

If he can get great stuff under there he can get some mortar under there.

Jeffrey L. Mathis Guest

Well, I've been on line way too long trying to find an installation specification sheet for a Kohler whirlpool tub. I guess I'll stick with my original asessment that it isn't installed properly and let the fur fly.

JLMathis

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey L. Mathis View Post
    Well, I've been on line way too long trying to find an installation specification sheet for a Kohler whirlpool tub.

Jeffery,

You are taking the wrong position ... *The Builder* is saying it is installed correctly, *let him* provide the documentation (installation instructions) which shows 'he is right' (except that we all know it will show he is wrong ).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jeffery,

Section 5 : Position the tub says not to use adhesive or mortar for this style tub. Also in the installation instructions not to support it by the rim, access panel must be large enough to service (including leveling feet.)

Not sure if your Model number would fall under this installation instructions.

http:http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal.../1054216_2.pdf

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

I've seen tubs installed with the top rim carrying the weight. Eventually you'll get cracks at the corners. My guess is they built the enclosure too high. Why can't he pull the tub and install a layer of 1/2, 3/4" cdx or durock underneath to make up the difference?

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Jeffrey L. Mathis Guest

Thanks to Billy for the specifications. I wore myself out last night hunting exactly that and never found it. It's generally easy to tell someone else to go look it up, but much more satisflying to whip out the notebook I keep under the seat with all the "proof". Shuts up a bunch of folks too.

JLMathis