mathew stouffer Guest

Default Polybutylene in homes

Just curious how you report polybutylene. It is not that common in my area. Furthermore, is it the fitting most likely to fail or the pipping itself due to chemical deterioation. Lastly, what is the best way to indentify the material other than the color, and is this polybutylene. I assume it is due to the PB written on the pipe.

Thanks

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Re: Polybutylene in homes

Matt, here is verbiage I put in a recent report on a house that had PB piping:

visible branch water supply line piping in basement and at plumbing areas throughout house noted as polybutylene piping (NOTE - polybutylene piping has a history of failure and leaks associated with it and is the subject of a class action lawsuit - have plumbing supply line system in house serviced by a professional plumber for possible replacement of system - recommend researching the polybutylene piping class action lawsuit for further information regarding possible settlement action)

Jon Randolph Guest

ยท Possible Major Concern: This home has polybutylene (PB) water piping installed. This pipe has a history of failure at the connections, especially in homes with higher water pressures, and there have been class action lawsuits over this type of piping. I recommend that a licensed plumber evaluate the entire plumbing system for piping integrity.

Also, if you are not in the habit of checking water pressure, I recommend that you start. Last house I inspected had a water pressure of 102 psi. You'll notice that the max pressure rating on PB is 100 psi. Realtor tried to argue that since it hasn't failed yet that it wasn't an issue and that the higher pressure was good for water flow.

Nick,

I think you will find that the class action lawsuit has expired. To the best of my knowledge, no more claims can be made.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

James Duffin Guest

Here is the official NCHILB statement:

"Polybutylene plumbing supply lines (PB) are installed in the subject house. It has been used in this area for many years, but has had a higher than normal failure rate. Copper and brass fittings used in later years have reduced the failure rate. The subject house has ( circle one ) brass โ€“ copper โ€“ plastic โ€“ fittings. Polybutene plumbing pipe is an approved material in North Carolina. For further details contact 1-800-392-7591 or visit the Website Polybutylene Pipe Settlement Fund > Home"

Some systems are still eligible under the "fourth subsequent notice program of the Cox v. Shell polybutylene plumbing class action settlement".

New TV commercials just came out and the pbpipe.com site is all new.

The site main page says "The leak deadline for mobile home and yard service claims expired 7/31/2005", but it mentions yard service lines being eligible in some cases on other pages of the site.

Also PB2110 M type is not eligible.

Here is the "eligibility page"
    Eligibility

The NC verbiage comes up short by not disclosing the fact that higher chlorine levels have been found to deteriorate the PB pipe from the inside out. Realtors are on the NC Home Inspector Board.

I found PB pipe with plastic fittings in a plumbers house once, he also had the water pressure set very low. He also had his crew replace all of it for my client the next week.

James Duffin Guest

I dd not write the NC verbiage. I only quoted what we are required to put in the report.

Joseph P. Hagarty Guest

Polybutylene Failure photos....

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images