Thread: Ash clean out?

Question Ash clean out?

Just want to make sure this is considered an ash clean out. It is an open pipe that enters the bottom of the chimney in the crawlspace. The fireplaces have a metal hinged door in the bottom of the firebox. I have always thought that these were used to sweep ashes into. But then I thought they might possibly be intended for combusion air as well. Could somebody clarify this for me.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Ash clean out?

A fireplace ash-dump in the foundation crawl space is not a good idea and in fact it was once upon a time prohibited in our old UBC.
    You think many homeowners are going to crawl under their homes to clean out the old ashes and what about the hot ones spilling out into areas of combustible materials? It’s a write up “it should be noted etc.” at the very least.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

I would think this cleanout should at least have a metal door on it to stop ashes from falling out. My parents have one in their basement, however, it's not used anymore since they got a fireplace insert. I remember when my friends and I used to play ping-pong down there. The cleanout door was on the wall right beside it, and inevitably someone would open this door (what's in here?) and the ashes would go all over the floor.

David Banks Guest

Does not look like any clean out I have ever seen. If it is it requires a door that closes properly.

It looks like a fuel fired heat source may have been installed in the crawlspace at one time.

How many flues are there in the chimney, and how many are currently in use?