Thread: Flue

David Banks Guest

Default Flue

Flue only goes too roof line then stops. Only brick from roof up. Oil fired boiler.
    Would this not cool the gases before exiting the chimney?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Flue

Dave,

Technically, the flue goes to the top of the chimney - the liner stops at the roof line. The flue is actually the space inside the chimney, it's not a component of the chimney (or a vent).

It warrants correction by a certified sweep.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

I think the flue interior of the chimney could only be called lined if the chimney were constructed with two thicknesses of bricks. Then the inside layer is the liner. If it is single brick thickness for Dave's scenario, you only have a liner in half the chimney. Even if no spalling or deterioration were present, I would recommend a liner in the full length of the chimney interior.

David's photo shows an unlined chimney.

Probably needs a SS liner installed.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Yes, the photo shows an unlined chimney and Yes, flue gases could possibly condense accelerating the decomp of the bricks and mortar. You didn't say how old the furnace was (I'll assume not new), but if a new furnace was to ever be installed it would/should have a flue liner installed with it.

RJDalga
    http://homeanalysts.com
    Kalamazoo, MI

David Banks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Dalga View Post
    Yes, the photo shows an unlined chimney and Yes, flue gases could possibly condense accelerating the decomp of the bricks and mortar. You didn't say how old the furnace was (I'll assume not new), but if a new furnace was to ever be installed it would/should have a flue liner installed with it.

Thanks Robert. 1990 Boiler.