Default I had an interesting ride today ...

Hmmm ... ever wondered if a human body really does bounce off the hood of a car like you see on TV? Yeah, it does bounce and flop around.

I'm just starting to feel it now, but I managed to put a big old dent in the hood of a Honda (crushed the hood in) when I was riding my bike to get lunch when they forgot to stop where the stop sign was and where the white line indicating 'stop here' was. Bent the front wheel of my bike and, after bouncing around a bit on their hood, I slid off down onto my bike (which was laying on the road at this point).

I've never seen screaming faces that close up before either (with me briefly peering through their windshield).

I think all is well with me, they are paying for the cost to repair my bike (which will be much less than their deductible) and I've felt okay all day since then, but ... I'm starting to feel it now.

Just letting you know whoever you paid to take me out failed, so don't send them the rest of the payment.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Default Re: I had an interesting ride today ...

Hmm, that could be a long list just from this board.
    Seriously though, I am glad to hear you are still around. I've had similar experiences in the past.
    Don't take this too lightly Jerry. I'm allergic to doctors, nonetheless I have to recommend you go get checked out.
    No offense, my guess is (like me) you aren't a 'spring chicken' anymore. Go get checked out just to be sure you're really OK.
    Good luck, Markus

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

See a Doc and get a big bottle of Advil.
    Just don't stay down too long, keep moving.

Get well quick!

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Ron Bibler Guest

We are all glad to hear you are OK Jerry.

I say a prayer every time i get on my Harley.

Ride safe

Best

Ron

Do you think I can get my deposit back?

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

I use to get scared when I almost died.... now I'm happy when it happens... it means statistically my number was up and I made it through until another day.

So, the chances are less that it happens again the next day, right? I know... not really. Something about mutually exclusive events that I remember from statistics class back in college.

Numbers aside, It's good to hear you're here for another day

And wait a couple days before telling anyone you're okay. It really can take a bit to be sure.

Jerry
    Hope your OK.

"Just letting you know whoever you paid to take me out failed, so don't send them the rest of the payment"
    I hope I don't offend you by saying you have been on my list (prayer list) for quite some time, but it was to keep you in, not to take you out, still have to make more payments.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Michael Larson Guest

Glad you're alright Jerry. Advil is probably in order for a few days.

Richard Stanley Guest

I imagine you are feeling it more today than yesterday after the adrenaline settles down. Please take others advice - get checked..

Glad to hear your ok.

Your mailbox will probably be full of letters from attorneys in the next few days telling you they make you rich off this accident.

rick

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Do you think I can get my deposit back?
    Aha! Now I know ...

You're probably thinking "Dang! They will now ask for more because it will take more work next time."

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Brandon Chew Guest

It's good to hear that you are ok. Lots of times you don't start to feel the injuries from something like this until the next day. I'd head to the Dr. if it feels like something more than minor bumps & bruises.

I put a lot of miles on my bike; somewhere around 1,500 each year for the last 20 years. I've had several close encounters with motor vehicles, but so far (knock on wood) no contact. Many drivers look right past an oncoming bike and don't even see it. Unless I make eye contact with the driver, I've always made it a habit to assume that a car will not stop, or that it will turn right in front of me, and I act accordingly. It's kept me out of trouble so far.

In a collision between a 20 lb bike and a 2000+ lb car, it doesn't matter who has the legal right-of-way, the car always wins.

Get well soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Chew View Post
    I've always made it a habit to assume that a car will not stop, or that it will turn right in front of me, and I act accordingly.
    Brandon,

That's a lot of miles you put on a bike.

"I've always made it a habit to assume that a car will not stop, or that it will turn right in front of me, and I act accordingly."

As I do, however, there was a fence and a large tree which blocked my view until I was right at the corner, then I saw the car and said to myself 'They're not going to stop.' and swerved to the right to try (try being key) to avoid them, knowing full well that in a few feet I could not swerve that far if they actually did not stop.

I would have missed them if they had stopped at some point, but they were only checking traffic from the other direction to make sure they did not have to stop (oh, wait, that was a 'stop sign' wasn't it ).

Just achy, no breaky.

Not too sore, so I think everything is okay. If it gets worse, then I'll probably go see the doctor. I'm not one to go to the doctor when the body can heal itself ... wait, you mean I shouldn't wait 30 years for that head wound to heal, dang, I figured just a few more years and it will heal up ...

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ron Bibler Guest

Jerry we will be keeping an eye on your post for the next week or so.
    If you start to wack out some one will be sent to inform you>

Best

Ron

David Banks Guest

[QUOTE=Jerry Peck;44980]Brandon,

As I do, however, there was a fence and a large tree which blocked my view until I was right at the corner, then I saw the car and said to myself 'They're not going to stop.' and swerved to the right to try (try being key) to avoid them, knowing full well that in a few feet I could not swerve that far if they actually did not stop.

Ron Bibler may be on to something. If you had your Infra Red clamped to the handle bars you would have seen the heat of the engine and none of this tragedy would have happened.

I hope the driver doesn't end up suing you for running the stop sign and damaging her/his car hood? (that will be their story) I learned long ago that no good deed goes unpunished and desperate folks do desperate things.
    I must say I'm glad you're only banged up a bit and not in a body cast or worse!

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Richard Rushing Guest

Jerry riding...

One should not go ass over head... ever.

Rich

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Jerry,

I know a man who was riding his bike to work a couple of years ago and was clipped by a car that didn't see him. The driver looked down at him lying on the ground and kept on driving. He was barely tapped and not seriously injured (bumps & bruises).

Can anyone say "hit & run"? Unfortunately, he did not get the license plate number.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

You need a "I'm saving Gas, Don't break my Ass" bumper sticker for that thing!!
    Hope you are feeling better today, Wayne

Steven Meyer Guest

Darn, just can't get good help these days.

Went with a lowballer. Honda

Should have gone for the other guy. Hummer

Get what ya pay for, I guess.

He was dead, dead right as he sped along, but he is just as dead as if he was wrong!!!
    Hope you are ok, and get back and up and running soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Hmmm ... ever wondered if a human body really does bounce off the hood of a car like you see on TV? Yeah, it does bounce and flop around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post

I'm just starting to feel it now, but I managed to put a big old dent in the hood of a Honda (crushed the hood in) when I was riding my bike to get lunch when they forgot to stop where the stop sign was and where the white line indicating 'stop here' was. Bent the front wheel of my bike and, after bouncing around a bit on their hood, I slid off down onto my bike (which was laying on the road at this point).

I've never seen screaming faces that close up before either (with me briefly peering through their windshield).

I think all is well with me, they are paying for the cost to repair my bike (which will be much less than their deductible) and I've felt okay all day since then, but ... I'm starting to feel it now.

Just letting you know whoever you paid to take me out failed, so don't send them the rest of the payment.

Last edited by Steven Meyer; 06-01-2008 at 04:49 PM.