daniel nantell Guest

Default landamerica property inspections

Landamerica Property Inspections is seeking Home Inspectors, does anyone know if they are a litigimate company to work for, any info. would be appreciated. thanks

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: landamerica property inspections

Quote Originally Posted by daniel nantell View Post
    Landamerica Property Inspections is seeking Home Inspectors, does anyone know if they are a litigimate company to work for, any info. would be appreciated. thanks
    A local inspector, freind of mine, sold his business to them, and then worked for them for a couple years.
    Everthing I heard from him about the company and managment was positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    then worked for them for a couple years.

Dan,

Did he retire, or why did he leave them?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

It is a good company if you want to work for somebody, kind of like US Inspect. But, if you don't produce or if it is slow you will be out the door.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Dan,

Did he retire, or why did he leave them?
    He moved up to managment.. With the RE slow down/ company cutbacks he others were laid off.

From what I gathered at one point they had 8 plus working here, I'm not sure how many are left in AZ. I did receve a letter from them last week stating that they are looking for inspectors here again..

I recently got a letter from that company inviting me to join them. Little did they know they where soliciting a dinosaur. I declined of course, but thought it interesting that they where looking for inspectors in such a nationally slow market?

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Nolan Kienitz Guest

LA is surfing for more HIs in many areas of the US. I've received (again) about 2-3 mailings in the past six weeks.

Close HI friend of mine signed on with LA and hung in there for six months and as of 05/15/08 he was done with them and back running his own business. He was the highest producer of the local (DFW) group and the most experienced (6+ years).

He got real frustrated when it was turning out that he was generating the business and that LA only brought two inspections to him in the span of time he was with them and those were LA employees moving into the market.

He was not seeing them produce what they promised they were going to do with respect to marketing, etc.

He was also very tired of cutting them a check for 50% of all he was bringing in.

I worked for LandAm, it was my first inspection gig. Good training. I liked that they did marketing, provided office supplies, E&O, handled any complaints, paid for training. Then in late 2005, they got rid of the marketing crew, told us to handle our own complaints (no, I didn't have any), got rid of the office, downsize in general. I figured they got rid of all the things that kept me there. Since it was 100% commission, (and they take the biggest chunk!), I considered that the boot in the butt to start my own business.

I got great experience working with some really good inspectors. I would not recommend working there in a down market, you won't make enough to survive.

There was a "no compete" clause that you have to sign, so I never solicited any old clients. However, they followed me, so that was a boost in starting my first ever business, at the age of 48.

Dave Hill
    Buyers & Sellers Property Inspections LLC
    WWW.BuyersSellersPi.Com

Ted Menelly Guest

If you are in a right to work state the no compete clause is next to useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    If you are in a right to work state the no compete clause is next to useless.
    Very True. It is mostly scare tactics on the part of the BIG company. I recall a discussion about a "Home Inspection Trainer" associated with LandAm that came back into the ranks of a commissioned inspector. He only worked that gig long enough to get a customer (Realtor) list. The talk was that it would not be worth going to court to try (and probably lose) a legal battle over the "no compete" agreement.

Have a great weekend!

Dave Hill
    Buyers & Sellers Property Inspections LLC
    WWW.BuyersSellersPi.Com