Jerome W. Young Guest

Default flashing at bottom plate

I see this often here in florida, but I dont really have any comment to make about it in my reports and so I usually do not. Any concerns with this rusting away? What is it protecting exactly.
    Thanks!

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: flashing at bottom plate

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome W. Young View Post
    Any concerns with this rusting away?
    Depends on what it is protecting.

What is it protecting exactly.
    I don't know.

I've never seen it. Could be:

- drip edge metal over the edge of the slab with the sill plate on it, with the siding covering the drip edge, with the drip edge acting as a flashing (except that drip edge face looks to be full face and not covered much, if any)

- drip edge metal over the sill plate with the studs nailed through it to the sill plate, trying to serve as a flashing over the sill plate

- flat brake metal with the turned out edge installed vertically behind the siding and hanging down to act as a flashing over the sill plate/slab joint

Regardless, if any of the above, or for any purpose like the above, any flashing which is rusted out needs to be replaced. I can't imagine someone going to that effort without it having been a requirement.

That said, many areas do not allow galvanized flashings near the ocean, only copper or stainless steel, in which case, this flashing should have been one of those???

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ron Bibler Guest

Never mind.

Last edited by Ron Bibler; 05-21-2008 at 09:01 AM.

Looks to me like it's keeping what appears to be hard board siding bottom edge off the concrete.