mathew stouffer Guest

Default Why didn't I think of this

Has anyone ever seen anything like this? In addition to the toilet the light switch is inside the shower enclosure. This is a large apartment complex and the whole building is like this. How is this possible.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Why didn't I think of this

It would save time getting ready for work. It would be a bitch keeping the toilet paper dry though.

Paul Kondzich
    Ft. Myers, FL.

mathew stouffer Guest

Plus if you have to piss now you can just turn and fire. Makes if tough if your girlfriend wants to use the toilet when you are in the shower.

Oddly enough, I saw this in France one time years ago. There was also a little hand sink in the corner.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

william siegel Guest

I have the toilet in the shoewer a couple of times down here. I believe it was in an assisted living / handicapped home. I have never, however, seen the light switch in the shower.

The entire thing 'may not be' a shower.

Look at the door, there is nothing there to keep water back, nor is the door of a material which will withstand water.

That is likely a 'fully tiled bathroom with a handicapped accessible shower'.

It is hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like there is room for a shower curtain to separate the shower from the remaining space.

And, yes, if that area is considered 'outside the shower area', then it could be allowed there.

Ever gone into commercial or institutional bathrooms where the entire bathroom is tiled? Some even have shower areas in the bathrooms, with switches and receptacles 'not in the shower area' - usually, though, those 'shower areas' would have enclosures of some type around them. Enclosures could consist of 'shower curtains'.

From the photos, it looks dumb.

From the photos, it looks like it might not be as dumb as it first looks.

What size were those rooms?

How was the floor sloped to the floor drain (the shower drain)?

Was there room for a shower curtain between the 'shower area' and the 'non-shower area'? (Leaving the required minimum space for the shower and the required minimum space between the toilet and where the shower curtain would be?)

Could these have been this way for handicapped accessibility?

More questions than answers.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

mathew stouffer Guest

It you put up a shower curtain you get the required 30 or 25 inches for the shower compartment requirements. However, the center of the toilet would be closer than 15 inches to the curtain. I guess there is a little grey or brown area there

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    It you put up a shower curtain you get the required 30 or 25 inches for the shower compartment requirements. However, the center of the toilet would be closer than 15 inches to the curtain.

The minimum shower size is 30", plus the 15" from the center of the toilet makes minimum 45" to the wall (plus some for the curtain or glass enclosure if one was installed, but at least 45" from the wall to the center of the toilet).

Less than that and they have a problem.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

mathew stouffer Guest

Jerry,
    They snuck by with the 25 inch shower because it meets the 1300 sq inch requirement if the shower is only 25 inches. Regardless the whole thing is crazy.

Mat