Eric Laney Guest

Default Receptacle in the tub enclosure!

Brand new home. I couldn't believe my eyes. You stand <b>in the tub</b> to plug in the tv. Shocking huh? And if that doesn't kill you, the tv will fall on your head to finish the job. File under "what were they thinking".

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Randy Clayton Guest

Question Re: Receptacle in the tub enclosure!

Eric, oh yea see it all to often, if memory recalls there should not be any recepticals within the tub enclosure. But I think there is one exeption if it is so many feet above the tub??

Richard Franklin Guest

Smile Re: Receptacle in the tub enclosure!

This was a good call. That is your job to report. If this were mine I would recommend disconnecting this outlet and seal it off.
    National Electrical Code, Section 410-57(d), Outlets and Switches are not allowed in the Bath Tub, Shower or Spa area. Receptacles may be installed below the tub to attach the cord from a spa. Switches for a spa tub are required to be a minimum of 5'-0" from the tub. See also NEC 680.43 Indoor Installations for Spas and Hot Tubs. NEC, 410.04(D) Bathtub and Shower Areas. No parts of cord-connected luminaires (fixtures), hanging luminaires (fixtures), lighting track, pendants, or ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans shall be located within a zone measured 900 mm (3 ft) horizontally and 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold. This zone is all encompassing and includes the zone directly over the tub or shower stall.
    It depends on how your local AHJ sees this section. My company motto is “Building Codes Set Minimum Standards – Good Builders Exceed Them.” I think that the key here is cord connected. And then why is it that a switch on an outdoor unit has to be 5’-0” away while a switch on an indoor unit can be next to the tub or shower. You are just as dead? How many GFCI’s fail? How many electricians leave the directions for the GFCI’s? They recommend testing the unit once a month.
    The National Consumer Electrical Safety Commission reports that more women are killed every year using curling irons or hair dryers in a bath tub.
    Beginning in July 2006 all GFCI outlets were required to disable themselves or send a single implying that the unit has failed. I haven’t seen this adopted yet.

Default Re: Receptacle in the tub enclosure!

From the 2008 NEC.
    - 406.8 Receptacles in Damp or Wet Locations.
    - - (C) Bathtub and Shower Space. Receptacles shall not be installed within or directly over a bathtub or shower stall.

Why?

Because, even for minimum safety reasons, it is not one of the safer things to do. EVEN is GFCI protected (which would be required).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I understand the restrictions about receptacles within the zone of the tub, but are any codes or restrictions against "big-mouthed bass".

rick

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Only if it's a SINGING BIG MOUTH BASS..B