Thread: Roof Cleaning

Joseph P. Hagarty Guest

Default Roof Cleaning

Pressure washing the asphalt shingles will remove the staining, streaking, aggregate, etc....

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Roof Cleaning

Nothing like shortening the life of the roof by 5 years all in one day.

Last edited by Matthew Barnicle; 05-23-2008 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Clarity

James Duffin Guest

It will also remove the granules on the shingles if not done properly. I always qualify my comments by saying a no/low pressure cleaning method should be used to remove stains.

I could and should say a lot of bad things about that but I won't. Instead I have to admit how jealous I am.
    If I had the salesman/marketing BS skills that that guy must have I would be washing the 911 turbo I yearn for.
    My astonishment forces me to allow others to comment on the insanity.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Pat Motz Guest

This is a ridiculous post. It confuses home owners as to the proper way of cleaning their roof. The problem stems from lack of education. ARMA (Asphalt Roofing Manufacturers Association) cautions about cleaning a roof with any kind of pressure. They recommend a mix of chemicals with Sodium Hypochlorite as the main active ingredient. With the dilution ratios this mix is lower than normal household cleaners. Pressure washing a roof can actually void the warranty on your shingles.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Motz View Post
    This is a ridiculous post. It confuses home owners as to the proper way of cleaning their roof.

Pat,

Huh?

What is confusing about this thread?

The first post where Joe said it would remove the aggregate?

The second post where Matt said nothing like shortening the life?

The third post where James said no/low pressure, or where it will also remove granules?

The fourth post where Markus said he could say a lot of bad things but wouldn't?

Or your post?

Just curious which part of it will confuse homeowners.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Pat Motz Guest

"Pressure washing the asphalt shingles will remove the staining, streaking, aggregate, etc...."

Sorry I should have been more clear. A home owner reading this would think that it is ok to pressure wash a roof. Heck even the rain will remove granules just think what a pressure washer would do. They could also void their shingle warranty.

Here is good link that explains what the streaks are YouTube - The Truth About Roof Cleaning and Roof Algae and how they are to be cleaned.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    I could and should say a lot of bad things about that but I won't. Instead I have to admit how jealous I am.
    If I had the salesman/marketing BS skills that that guy must have I would be washing the 911 turbo I yearn for.
    My astonishment forces me to allow others to comment on the insanity.

I have half wished all my life that I could walk up to folks and keep a straight face and feed them a line a bull that would continuously put money in my pocket. One of my biggest money making problems in life is that I have absolutely never been able to bull crap people about anything and fleece them from their money.

I have gone to many a meetings in my life where I have been sitting there with a ridiculous smile on my face with my head shaking listening to the crap one may be spewing and everyone in the room is shaking their heads up and down agreeing with the flim flam man. I was born with a knack to read people extremely well all my life and was often astounded as to why everyone else cannot see it. In the meen time this fool is walking away with all the money.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Pat, I'm pretty certain Joe's post and accompanying comments were done tongue-in-cheek..........sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Motz View Post
    "Pressure washing the asphalt shingles will remove the staining, streaking, aggregate, etc...."

Sorry I should have been more clear. A home owner reading this would think that it is ok to pressure wash a roof.
    I disagree, especially if that homeowner read past that first post, if they still thought that after reading that second post and the others, then they are not fit to do any maintenance on their home anyway.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com