Thread: getting started

Gary Robinson Guest

Default getting started

I have just finished taking a basic home inspection program and finished at the top of my class. I am currently owner of my own construction company. Any suggestions on where I might start to find a position with a larger company. I live in Michigan and there doesn't seem to be a real need for home inspectors yet in the area I live. I have the ability to also be able to travel as needed if necessary.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: getting started

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Robinson View Post
    I have just finished taking a basic home inspection program and finished at the top of my class. I am currently owner of my own construction company. Any suggestions on where I might start to find a position with a larger company. I live in Michigan and there doesn't seem to be a real need for home inspectors yet in the area I live. I have the ability to also be able to travel as needed if necessary.
    Well, I think you might have just answered yourself with your own question.

From what I understand from some Michigan home inspector friends is that even the experienced home inspectors are having a hard go at it. Look at the unemployment rate and then look at the number of homes that are being sold and are on the market. This will give you a very good picture of how the home inspector market is.

Short of moving to another state (as many have or are doing) you might approach some of the larger franchise or multi-inspector operations. This will be your only hope, but also keep in mind that you will most likely be paid on a per inspection contract. So if they have little business, you won't be making anything.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ron Bibler Guest

Congrats on best in class. Just being good at the main part of being an inspector is not going to get you jobs. Marketing is a big part of what we do. So how are your marketing ideas holding up? what is your plan?

I have started 4 companies over the past 30 years. and before each one i gave a good look at each area. and now that i look back at each area i have work in i can see what i did right and what i did wrong. sorry can't all that info to you in this post. There is always room for one more inspector in any area. for the most part. Hard times is what what put me on the move to new areas looking for work. I'm now in about an HR No of San Francisco in a very good area. its been a good hourse for the past 10 years. back to you. do your home work if its not going to work in your area. then your next step is to look at other areas.

Good post scott.

Best

Ron

Thread drift
    I have to disagree with Ron about there always being "room for one more".

Take Knoxville
    In 1994 there were about 10 inspectors here.
    2 years ago, just before licensing took effect, there were about 50.
    Now, there are probably 80 - 90.

Based on the number of homes sold each month, I would have to say that there isn't room for one more. I view it like an elevator, sometimes there just isn't any room to squeeze in, and you have to wait for the next one.

But Jack, how many of them are actually full time home inspectors versus those who got the license to make a few extra bucks a month and those who succumbed to the school advertising about "easy money" but are soon gone (only to be replaced by others who think it's easy money).

With 900 homes sold a month in Greater Knoxville Jan-Mar 2008, seems like your market is one of the better ones.

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

Ron Bibler Guest

Jack. if you look at any area you will see that ( for the most part ) there is room for one more. but it a may take longer for an inspector to make a living in that area. You got a point to what you say. I would not start up in an area that is down in numbers or low on pay. some inspectors in my area are around $ 350.00 to $ 400.00 plus per insp. for ranch type homes under 2K S.Q. Feet. Do 2 a day and your ok. But any area that will only support $ 150.00 per insp. and you can only get 4 a week you have a number problem.

So Gary look at the numbers.

Thats my 2 cents.

Best

Ron