Thread: Garage gap

Ryan Stouffer Guest

Default Garage gap

Hello, does anyone know if this is allowed? There is about a 4 inch gap between the garage drywall and the foundation of the home. This area is open to the crawlspace. It is inside the garage. I would appreciate any input. Additionally, is the waste line for the humidifier allowed to be secured like this? Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Richard Moore Guest

Default Re: Garage gap

Hello, does anyone know if this is allowed?
    Absolutely NOT! The purpose of the "firewall" is to provide a complete fire retardant barrier between the garage and living quarters designed to delay the spread of a fire in the garage. It also serves to prevent toxic and flammable fumes getting into the home. That gap will ensure the whole house burns down very quickly! It needs to be sealed using appropriate materials and methods.

The duct tape on the condensate line isn't pretty but not something I would get very excited about as long as it is otherwise OK (slope, etc).

Ryan Stouffer Guest

Richard, thanks a lot! I appreciate the help.

Ryan,

Does that condensate drain go into the main waste? If so, that is wrong. Cannot drill-out a drain/waste pipe and insert a pipe into it. In addition, there are a couple of recent posts about indirect waste into the drain/waste system.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Richard Moore Guest

Ooops! I just glanced at that photo and though the drain line was simply being supported by the duct tape rather than connected into the ABS sewer line. Gunnar is very right...that would be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Moore View Post
    Absolutely NOT! The purpose of the "firewall" ...
    Nooooo ... don't use the word "firewall" as it is not a "firewall" ...

It is a "separation wall" and, as shown in the photo, it does not provide the required "separation" between the garage and the living space.

As I see it, there are two choices: 1) close that gap up with at least 1/2" gypsum board; 2) go to all the expense and trouble to cover the underside of the floor above the crawlspace with 5/8" Type X gypsum board.

I suspect 1) above would be *much cheaper*.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Richard Moore Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Nooooo ... don't use the word "firewall" as it is not a "firewall" ...

It is a "separation wall" and, as shown in the photo, it does not provide the required "separation" between the garage and the living space.

As I see it, there are two choices: 1) close that gap up with at least 1/2" gypsum board; 2) go to all the expense and trouble to cover the underside of the floor above the crawlspace with 5/8" Type X gypsum board.

I suspect 1) above would be *much cheaper*.
    Ummm...you did notice I used quotation marks around the word? There was a reason for that; in this case to indicate the use of slang.

You might want to check out The “Blog” of “Unnecessary” Quotation Marks .

But...I do use the term "firewall" without the quotation marks in my reports when there are breaches. Along with an explanation of what it's for, it gets the point across. I've never yet had a client, seller or builder come back and ask me if I meant "separation wall". Of course, I also occasionally use the word "sub-panel", where appropriate. Shoot me!

When a fellow home inspector asks:

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stouffer View Post
    Hello, does anyone know if this is allowed?
    The reply should be as correct as possible, not some term you want to use just because you use it ...

Absolutely NOT! The purpose of the "firewall" is to provide a complete fire retardant barrier between the garage and living quarters designed to delay the spread of a fire in the garage.
    In your reports you should also use the proper terms, but, whatever gets your rocks off ... it is your report.

But...I do use the term "firewall" without the quotation marks in my reports when there are breaches. Along with an explanation of what it's for, it gets the point across.
    Although it is unlikely to ever happen, someday a client may call and say they want that firewall you put in your report, not just a layer of 1/2" gypsum board on the garage side for separation. As has been pointed out to them by the expert witness they have retained.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Richard Moore Guest

Good to see you are back to "normal" after your incident.