Robert Autrey Guest

Default Built-up Nat Gas Manifold

Is this kosher? I just finished an inspection on a new 3,700 sqft home in Corpus Christi, TX. We're almost 100-percent electric down here so I rarely run into any gas. Never this much for sure. In the attic I encountered this built-up manifold. It feeds a gas cooktop, gas in the fireplace, two gas furnaces and a gas outdoor grill. I don't know that there is anything wrong with this, but it sure registered high in the pucker factor (see attached photo). Can anyone give me a clue?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Built-up Nat Gas Manifold

The photo is too small for me to see much detail, but it looks like there is no support for the gas tubing and maybe some sharp bends at the connections. The manifold of iron pipe itself would not be of any concern (again from what I can see.)
    I always mention the litigation and bonding requirements for the CSST.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Jon Randolph Guest

Some areas will not let you use galvanized on natural gas.

Robert Autrey Guest

Jim,
    Thanks for your comments. I was completely unaware of the CSST issues. I've found some info in the web about it and I'll do my homework on the topic. I've attached a closer view photo. I does look like the fittings are properly bonded. However, you comments about support for the gas tubing cause me to wonder; should the manifold itself be attached to the structure? As opposed to simply laying in the attic.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

should the manifold itself be attached to the structure? As opposed to simply laying in the attic
    Yep, the manifold should not be supported by the csst.
    Try going to one of the manufacturer's sites (Wardflex or Gastite comes to mind) and reading through their installation instructions as they will have the support, bonding, sizing, etc. requirements.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Robert Autrey Guest

Jim,
    Thanks again. It is Wardflex. I'll go get their info.

Proper bonding to ground and EFV's ( Excess flow valves) goes into every report I do where CSST is present. Code or not, I think protecting clients is important. Wardflex has good stuff on all.

Also looks like white teflon tape, in my area this is not allowed.

Rolland Pruner
    Livermore, Cal

Jon Randolph Guest

That may be teflon paste, but it's hard to tell. If tape was used, it should be yellow AND doped.

The manifold should be supported and secured, the CSST should come off the fittings straight then the CSST should be supported and secured, that looks like a ground bond wire (of some unknown size and unknown clamp going to some unknown location), really not much nice can be said about that - at least I can't find anything nice to say about it.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Robert Autrey Guest

Wink Re: Built-up Nat Gas Manifold

Thanks to all for your responses. I've advised the client about the recent class action litigation. I've also advised regarding the fact that the installation does not appear to comply with manufacturer's installation instructions. I further advised him to attempt to determine if the installer has completed the required manufacturer's training. We'll see what happens?