Thread: Old Meter Base?

Dave Mortensen Guest

Default Old Meter Base?

What would you say about this set up? It looks like an old meter base used as a junction box, and yes it was hot, with power going to the panel below. The set up was located within the garage.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Old Meter Base?

First thing I would ask is "Where is the meter?"

*IF* there is another meter, that is one thing (and this is still not good).

*IF* there is no another meter, those people are stealing electricity.

Let's go back to the first scenario:
    - no dead front cover
    - not intended for that use
    - copper conductor not intended, listed, or rated for that use
    - conductors (presumably service entrance conductors) too small for terminals and some strands not in terminals
    - what was the neutral terminal connection like (hidden behind the conductors)?
    - those are presumable service entrance conductors as the neural is grounded, not allowed anywhere else
    - are those conductors in conduit going up and down from the meter base?
    - basically remove and replace with a proper junction box listed and labeled for that use
    - verify there is another meter and they are not stealing electricity

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I've seen that conditin before and it's called "theft." I'd drop a dime to the local utility conpany on that moron.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Just to lighten up a bit has anyone heard about this anomaly?

PHONE REPAIR
    A Kansas farm wife called the local phone company to report her telephone failed to ring when her friends called - and that on the few occasions, when it did ring, her dog always moaned right before the phone rang.

The telephone repairman proceeded to the scene, curious to see this psychic dog or senile lady. He climbed a telephone pole, hooked in his test set, and dialed the subscriber's house.

The phone didn't ring right away, but then the dog moaned and the telephone began to ring.

Climbing down from the pole, the telephone repairman found:

1. The dog was tied to the telephone system's ground wire with a steel chain and collar.

2. The wire connection to the ground rod was loose.

3. The dog was receiving 90 volts of signaling current when the number was called.

4. After a couple of jolts, the dog would start moaning and then urinate.

5. The wet ground would complete the circuit, thus causing the phone to ring.

Which demonstrates that some problems CAN be fixed by pissing and moaning.
    Thought you'd like to know.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Randy Clayton Guest

I hope that there was at least a clear piece of plexy glass covering that box.

Dave Mortensen Guest

There was a meter located at the power pole with a service disconnect at that location. I thought the old meter may have been turned around during a remodel, where it used to face outside, now it faces inside. There was a plastic cover which appeared to be for this use to "protect" from electrocution. There were 5 different panel boards in the home, all of which had the grounds and neutrals on the same bus. I did recommend an electrician replace with an approved junction box, but just can't quite figure out why the last electrician left it in the first place??? The home was a 1963. Thanks for the feedback! Dave