Default FREA is now entering into the Bash Fest

You know, it's one thing for the associations to bash and bicker over who has the largest stick, but for a vendor to do it! Is it appropriate for a FREA leader to be writing negative posts about ASHI on the NACHI discussion boards? Me thinks that Mr. Garrison might be looking for a new job when Nigel view's this.

4/26/07, 2:00 PM

Ben L. Garrison

FREA (not an inspector)

NACHI Member

User Name: bgarrison

Re: NACHI slammed....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jbushart

This is another issue in which you are all wet, Douglas. You better stick to kicking Ken Lott around.

No one has the right to be wrong in their facts. If they did, there would be no such thing as E&O insurance.

This nitwit...who you defend....is publishing incorrect and misleading information that is intended to make one association look bad and another look good.

Clearly, it's not possible for to find a qualified inspector through ASHI. They only exist in the NACHI organization.

I really thought things were getting better. I hope that Ben was just caught up in the feeding frenzy of the NACHI members who speakout and have a mind and opinion of their own.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Deleted Account Guest

Default Re: FREA is now entering into the Bash Fest

Scott,

I think you have got to cut Ben a little slack as it was only his 14th post on the NACHI site. You know how it is when all someone knows is the typical dead-me-too home inspector sites that proliferate the web and then they encounter the NACHI site for the first time, it takes a while for the buzz to wear off and for breathing to return to normal.

No doubt that over time Ben's enthusiasm will moderate, especially once he has experienced his turn in the barrel.

I don't know, as an adult I think he knows what he is doing. I don't think Nigel would hire a bumpkin.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Harvey Hempelstern Guest

I notice that no one is arguing about the truth in "what" he said...only that he said it.

Scott:

I think my job security is just fine. Not only did the sarcasm of my comment go over your head, it's almost as if you suggest that I am pro-Nachi for whatever reason. This is not damage control on my part whatsoever. This is me clarifying my statement. And, in all honesty, I was making the point that there are plenty of other inspectors our there who are qualified regardless of Assocation affiliation. Please re-read my comment and put it in a sarcastic context.

Last edited by Ben Garrison; 04-30-2007 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burkeson View Post
    Scott,

I think you have got to cut Ben a little slack as it was only his 14th post on the NACHI site. You know how it is when all someone knows is the typical dead-me-too home inspector sites that proliferate the web and then they encounter the NACHI site for the first time, it takes a while for the buzz to wear off and for breathing to return to normal.

No doubt that over time Ben's enthusiasm will moderate, especially once he has experienced his turn in the barrel.
    Not sure why it reads that I have only 14 posts, but that's really irrelevant for all intents and purposes. I spend time on all message boards, I've been "hazed" on every one too. And I don't mind. Anyway, as I stated above, the comment that Scott is referring to was a joke. Sarcasm. I am sorry that my sarcastic sense of humor was not detected.

I certainly did not detect it, and I have no love for ASHI, I got the same thing from your post as Scott did.

How about if, to show everyone you are not just doing damage control, you go over to 'that board' and post a retraction, stating it was in sarcasm, and that ASHI (ug!) is a good place to find home inspectors (ug, puke, but I had to say it as that is the only way to know if this is, or is not, "just damage control").

Scott will, I am sure, let us know how that post goes.

As will Joe B.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I certainly did not detect it, and I have no love for ASHI, I got the same thing from your post as Scott did.

How about if, to show everyone you are not just doing damage control, you go over to 'that board' and post a retraction, stating it was in sarcasm, and that ASHI (ug!) is a good place to find home inspectors (ug, puke, but I had to say it as that is the only way to know if this is, or is not, "just damage control").

Scott will, I am sure, let us know how that post goes.

As will Joe B.
    If people want to contact me, or publicy express their thoughts on my comment, that's fine. Some of the subsequent comments, i.e Mike Larson's request for me to apologize, suggests that people did interpret it for it's actual meaning. I emailed Scott privately to reiterate my intention.

Tim Moreira Guest

Why is it OK to make a public bashing but then make a private apology???

And my reply to Ben;

Hi Ben,

It is all about perception and the realization that every word that is said does have an impact whether you are being sarcastic or not. With Nigel/FREA giving preferential treatment to Nicks bogus CMI, what is one to think. As for the financial support I would expect no less from a company who is trying to sell their product. I have also supported FREA for many years, and I don't expect to see post like this from a companies representative.

Scott
    -----Original Message-----
    Sent: Monday, April 30, 2007 9:19 PM
    To: inspectorhelp@traceinspections.com
    Subject: Inspectionnews.com

Scott:

I just want to reiterate that the comment I left on the NACHI board was sarcastic. Unfortunately, it can be difficult to interpret when written as opposed to spoken. Whereas you thought I was joining in on the ASHI bashing, it was quite the opposite. FREA supports all associations ( I was just at the ASHI GLC show) equally and we are non-denominational. We have continually given financial support to ASHI through sponsorships just the way we have done with NAHI, NACHI, CREIA, etc., etc.

Further, do you really think that I would seriously make a comment like that which would completely alienate FREA from ASHI. Despite being a stranger for all intents and purposes, pleae give me, and Nigel for that matter, more credit than that.

Ben

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Richard Rushing Guest

Thumbs down Re: FREA is now entering into the Bash Fest

The author of that quote, as a professional in the capacity of servicing the inspection profession, certainly is and should be up for rebute when such statements reflect badly upon FREA--- which this does.

I do agree with Scott and Jerry (I am not a member of ASHI, nor have I ever been) in that there is a time and place for everything. Unfortunately, as an employee of FREA, you have publically bad mouthed an organization (ASHI) that has been the back-bone of the profession from its inception til it's present day form. Being called on "the carpet" by the folks of that organization and asked publically to apologize is certainly warranted.

It's pretty simple folks... if the ASHI members feel the quote; "Clearly, it's not possible for to find a qualified inspector through ASHI. They only exist in the NACHI organization", was in gest, then it is something that can be easily forgotten. However, I believe that if that quote is taken at face value, those with FREA should indeed seek coverage with another carrier.

Nothing like voicing displeasure with where and who you spend your money with.

Richard Rushing

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rushing View Post
    The author of that quote, as a professional in the capacity of servicing the inspection profession, certainly is and should be up for rebute when such statements reflect badly upon FREA--- which this does.

I do agree with Scott and Jerry (I am not a member of ASHI, nor have I ever been) in that there is a time and place for everything. Unfortunately, as an employee of FREA, you have publically bad mouthed an organization (ASHI) that has been the back-bone of the profession from its inception til it's present day form. Being called on "the carpet" by the folks of that organization and asked publically to apologize is certainly warranted.

It's pretty simple folks... if the ASHI members feel the quote; "Clearly, it's not possible for to find a qualified inspector through ASHI. They only exist in the NACHI organization", was in gest, then it is something that can be easily forgotten. However, I believe that if that quote is taken at face value, those with FREA should indeed seek coverage with another carrier.

Nothing like voicing displeasure with where and who you spend your money with.

Richard Rushing
    I cannot possibly express any more that I was poking fun at the responses surrounding the article and how people were making a big deal about an author endorsing ASHI as opposed to any other association, NACHI being a good example in this case. Or NAHI for that matter. I found it interesting that people were so bent out of shape because the guy mentioned ASHI as a place to find a good home inspector. For all anyone knows, the author of that article might have a friend who's an ASHI member and knows the name and made the referral accordingly. I would've done the samething probably. Therefore, I made a sarcastic remark. This is being blown way out of proportion.

Whereas you think I have publicly "bad mouthed" ASHI, it's quite the contrary. But Scott makes a good point. Your perception is my reality. And for the record, let me state the reality again. I was in not putting down any association, nor was I promoting one. This is a classic case of misunderstanding and misinterpretation.

For any of you who have met me personally, you would understand that I do not owe my allegiance to any association as I get business from each and every one. FREA supports the industry as a whole.

As for the CMI program, that too is non-denominational. It's open to any member of any association. Furthermore, and I assume this might surface as this thread progresses, the interview with Nick Gromicko featured in the Communicator has suggested an allegiance between FREA and NACHI. And yet again, this is perception versus reality. And let me state the reality of this situation: For those who read the magazine, please pay close attention to the person who is featured in the next edition. And the one following that. I say this only because it's been brought to my attention on a few occassions. Stay tuned. That's all I ask.

Lastly, for anyone who thinks I bashed ASHI, that is not true. I have absolutely NO reason to.

Ben

Well, that's kind of sounds like an apology.

But the CMI, thing is still way out in left field when 2/3 of the folks have not been in business for more than 2 years, some less and some never performed an inspection before they donned the CMI logo. Why not give everyone who has ICC certifications or has passed the NHIE the same opportunity.

The next Communicator magazine will have a feature on ASHI, kind of a tit for tat.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Well, that's kind of sounds like an apology.

But the CMI, thing is still way out in left field when 2/3 of the folks have not been in business for more than 2 years, some less and some never performed an inspection before they donned the CMI logo. Why not give everyone who has ICC certifications or has passed the NHIE the same opportunity.

The next Communicator magazine will have a feature on ASHI, kind of a tit for tat.
    It's a clarification/apology. I'm big enough to admit when I'm wrong. And also appreciate the same respect as well. I understand why you feel the way you do, but please understand where I'm coming from in that I did not say make any comments with malicious intent.

I'm not sure it's tit for tat necessarily, but we are featuring the different associations as we feel that it's newsworthy and beneficial for the industry.

Your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Garrison View Post
    It's a clarification/apology. I'm big enough to admit when I'm wrong. And also appreciate the same respect as well. I understand why you feel the way you do, but please understand where I'm coming from in that I did not say make any comments with malicious intent.

I'm not sure it's tit for tat necessarily, but we are featuring the different associations as we feel that it's newsworthy and beneficial for the industry.

Your thoughts?
    Glad to see that this is being done. It would be interesting to see NAHI next. They really have some great folks and word has it from EW, that they just changed their CoE so they do not allow for inspectors to perform repairs on homes they have inspected. This was a bone of contention with many, NAHI members and the profession.

Y'all night owls and left coasters have fun with this, its late.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Smile Re: FREA is now entering into the Bash Fest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Glad to see that this is being done. It would be interesting to see NAHI next. They really have some great folks and word has it from EW, that they just changed their CoE so they do not allow for inspectors to perform repairs on homes they have inspected. This was a bone of contention with many, NAHI members and the profession.

Y'all night owls and left coasters have fun with this, its late.
    Not to worry, we're on it. Hence me writing "stay tuned."

Not to beat a dead horse, I'm sorry for any confusion that my comment may have left to the imagination. Not my intent.

Tim Moreira Guest

Apology accepted Captain Needa
    (Darth Vader to the choking and dead Captain Needa)

Ok fellas, bed time. And you should do the same. You need your rest so you can do your best inspections. And not get sued :-)

Richard Rushing Guest

I kinda liken this situation to the ole "nappy-headed Ho's" comment from Don Imus.. or;

The, "look at that lil monkey run" comment from Howard Cosell...

They (Don and Howard) too meant what they said to be taken as a sarcastic witticism.

Damage control is hard once the damage has been done. It's alot easier to just not provide the arena. I kinda liken this situation to launching a nuclear missile. Once that sucker is launched, it's hard to just go... "Ooops!"

QUOTE: "Not to beat a dead horse, I'm sorry for any confusion that my comment may have left to the imagination. Not my intent."

That was a much needed comment, post launch.

Rich

Last edited by Richard Rushing; 05-01-2007 at 07:18 AM. Reason: no spelle worth a poop

I don't think that Ben needs to enter Rehab, but this has brought a few things to light.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Not having a dog in this fight, or even caring if the dogs kill each other ...

I think Ben is blabbering over here trying to back track from what was said over there.

Ben, say it over there, where you said it the first time.

I am sure that Scott, Joe B., someone will tell us you did.

Retracting what you told Audience A when talking to Audience B does not cut the mustard, you need to go back to Audience A and retract it.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I clarified my statement in the NACHI site under the same thread as my original comment.

Deleted Account Guest

I clarified my statement in the NACHI site under the same thread as my original comment.
    Ben,

Its gonna suck being you for a while but it won't be long before its someone else's turn in the barrel and you will get a breather, what goes around, goes around.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burkeson View Post
    Ben,

Its gonna suck being you for a while but it won't be long before its someone else's turn in the barrel and you will get a breather, what goes around, goes around.
    Looking forward to that breather :-)

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

For what it's worth, I did not take Ben's statement as ASHI bashing. The tone I got was one of sarcasm even before I read the rest of this thread.

Ben, I guess you'll be double-checking the content of any future posts before hitting the "submit" button.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    For what it's worth, I did not take Ben's statement as ASHI bashing. The tone I got was one of sarcasm even before I read the rest of this thread.

Ben, I guess you'll be double-checking the content of any future posts before hitting the "submit" button.

Thank you Nick. I have read, re-read, and read again, my comment and I can see why people thought it was serious even though in my own mind that could not be further from reality. Especially for those who do not know me personally. Which makes up about 99% of the message board participants.

And you're absolutely right in that I will analyze each posting from every possible angle to make sure there's no confusion again. And I am now a huge proponent of using the provided emoticons :-)

Ben

Carlos Tabora Guest

Interesting thread. I see that things are just as exciting as when I left the profession three years ago. One quick comment about how things can easily be misinterpreted. I remember several years back when people would always say that they hate email because they can never tell if someone is joking or if they're serious. Well, I tell people now that "social media is the body language of the Internet." Chances are that if they're giving you the middle finger in the YouTube video, they're probably giving you the middle finger in the email also.

If you'd like Ben, I can show you how to make a quick YouTube video. I'm sure that would clear it up for everyone and they can play it over and over again to their heart's content .

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Tabora View Post
    Interesting thread. I see that things are just as exciting as when I left the profession three years ago. One quick comment about how things can easily be misinterpreted. I remember several years back when people would always say that they hate email because they can never tell if someone is joking or if they're serious. Well, I tell people now that "social media is the body language of the Internet." Chances are that if they're giving you the middle finger in the YouTube video, they're probably giving you the middle finger in the email also.

If you'd like Ben, I can show you how to make a quick YouTube video. I'm sure that would clear it up for everyone and they can play it over and over again to their heart's content .
    Carlos:

Even better, I go to enough tradeshows and conferences to the point where I'm exposed to people who might have taken offense to my sarcasm. I think it's most effective to resolve any issues in person. Or on the phone at the very least.

I will say that Youtube is one of the best creations ever. That site, along with Myspace, has revolutionized the internet. The concept is so simple yet it's so lucrative. I'm bitter that I didn't come up with either idea myself. Myspace recently sold for somewhere in the ballpark of $300,000 million to Rupert Murdock.

Ben

Carlos Tabora Guest

Carlos:

Even better, I go to enough tradeshows and conferences to the point where I'm exposed to people who might have taken offense to my sarcasm. I think it's most effective to resolve any issues in person. Or on the phone at the very least.

I will say that Youtube is one of the best creations ever. That site, along with Myspace, has revolutionized the internet. The concept is so simple yet it's so lucrative. I'm bitter that I didn't come up with either idea myself. Myspace recently sold for somewhere in the ballpark of $300,000 million to Rupert Murdock.

Ben
    No I agree. Contacting someone personally is always best, but things move very fast on the Internet and having something that can be quickly distributed should be considered when appropriate. I'm very excited about MySpace too. My MySpace-services site launches within the next two weeks. This will definitely make people say, "I can't believe no one's done that before". I'll give people here a heads up so they can beta test it and tell their kids to test it too. I can't wait.

But I also have some personal sites in the works. One of my favorites is www.DellServiceSucks.com. I've got a little bone to pick with them and the last marketing conference I went to did a case study on how Dell's Customer Service reputation got slammed after someone launched a blog and podcast campaign against them that went viral. But that's another site for another day. I've just got a temporary splash page up for the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Tabora View Post
    No I agree. Contacting someone personally is always best, but things move very fast on the Internet and having something that can be quickly distributed should be considered when appropriate. I'm very excited about MySpace too. My MySpace-services site launches within the next two weeks. This will definitely make people say, "I can't believe no one's done that before". I'll give people here a heads up so they can beta test it and tell their kids to test it too. I can't wait.

But I also have some personal sites in the works. One of my favorites is Home. I've got a little bone to pick with them and the last marketing conference I went to did a case study on how Dell's Customer Service reputation got slammed after someone launched a blog and podcast campaign against them that went viral. But that's another site for another day. I've just got a temporary splash page up for the moment.
    Another great site is Craigslist. People in California swear by it. There's nothing you can't find on that site.