Default Jacksonville FL sprawl

For you florida guys who have an interest in urban planning and sprawl...I came across a book synopsis.
    'How Government Regulation Forces Americans into Their Cars: A Case Study' by Professor Michael Lewyn - addresses the close link between local land use regulation and the urban phenomenon called 'sprawl' by many land use planners. Specifically development in Jacksonville Florida
    Enjoy

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral
    www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Richard Stanley Guest

Default Re: Jacksonville FL sprawl

Several years ago, I read an article that Jax was the largest (land) city in the US. 'don't know if that is still true. I know that when going there from the west (I-10) It seems like you hit the city limits about 50 miles out. (One of my daughters lives there)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Stanley View Post
    Several years ago, I read an article that Jax was the largest (land) city in the US. 'don't know if that is still true. I know that when going there from the west (I-10) It seems like you hit the city limits about 50 miles out. (One of my daughters lives there)
    From Wikipedia:

"Jacksonville replaced Oklahoma City as the largest city in land area in the contiguous United States; this resulted from the consolidation of the city and county government, along with a corresponding expansion of the city limits to include almost the entire county. It is also the fourth largest city in land area in the United States."

"city limits to include almost the entire county"

"almost"???

I thought Jacksonville *was* Duval County?

I was in Gainesville, Florida at the time when Jacksonville and Duval county consolidated. Miami and Dade County tried the same thing and that referendum failed (Miami is, and was back then, a mixed third world country, Jacksonville, on the other hand, is, and was, 'good old boy northern Florida / southern Georgia' bible in one hand and gun in the other spittin' chewin' terbacky).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com