Default Fixture/bath tub clearence

I came across this today. The surface mount fixture is within the bath tub zone. I realize that since it is a surface mount fixture it is allowed, but the ceiling height is only 76" and the bottom of the glass globe is about 68" the fixture is 10" away from the tub. Even though it is "legal" I still don't like it. It is easily "touchable".

Any opinions?

Sorry for the blurry pics.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1
    Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Default Re: Fixture/bath tub clearence

"The proximity of an electrical fixture to a source of water creates an un-necessary potential for electrocution."
    "In my opinion, it should be removed/replaced with a fixture suitable for wet locations"

Critical Home Inspection Services
    www.Home2Spec.com

I know it's a quibble, but to me the wording of that suggests that there is a companion comment:

"The proximity of an electrical fixture to a source of water creates a necessary potential for electrocution...."

Perhaps "creates an increased potential of electrocution" or "creates an unnecessary increase in the chance of electrocution"?

In my reporting style, if I felt that light was a significant concern I would phrase it as something like:

Analysis: "While this type of luminaire (light fixture) in this location meets current minimum national standards, in my opinion it is hazardous as it is within reach of someone standing in the tub, creating a possibility of electrocution."

Recommendation: For increased safety have a licensed and insured electrician replace this fixture with one rated for a wet location, relocate it out of reach from the tub, or power it from a source providing GFCI protection.

YMMV

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

You guys are right on the money.

Regardless of whether it is legal or not, I can easily imagine someone stepping out of the shower and coming in contact with the light.

If it were a pendant or hanging light it would be bad due to thier height A.F.F., since it's a low ceiling to start with, the fixture is simply too damn low and in a bad spot.

Thanks.

My first recommendation is to have a beer before taking pictures. HAHA
    My second is to GFCI protect any fixture within reach of water

Default Re: Fixture/bath tub clearance

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Turetsky View Post
    but the ceiling height is only 76" and the bottom of the glass globe is about 68" ...

Steven,

" ceiling height is only 76" " ... from where to where?

Floor-to-ceiling?

Shower floor-to-ceiling?

From the 2006 IRC. (bold and underlining are mine)

- R305.1 Minimum height.Habitable rooms, hallways, corridors, bathrooms, toilet rooms, laundry rooms and basements shall have a ceiling height of not less than 7 feet (2134 mm). The required height shall be measured from the finish floor to the lowest projection from the ceiling.
    - - Exceptions:
    - - - 1. Beams and girders spaced not less than 4 feet (1219 mm) on center may project not more than 6 inches (152 mm) below the required ceiling height.
    - - - 2. Ceilings in basements without habitable spaces may project to within 6 feet, 8 inches (2032 mm) of the finished floor; and beams, girders, ducts or other obstructions may project to within 6 feet 4 inches (1931 mm) of the finished floor.
    - - - 3. For rooms with sloped ceilings, at least 50 percent of the required floor area of the room must have a ceiling height of at least 7 feet (2134 mm) and no portion of the required floor area may have a ceiling height of less than 5 feet (1524 mm).
    - - - 4. Bathrooms shall have a minimum ceiling height of 6 feet 8 inches (2036 mm) over the fixture and at the front clearance area for fixtures as shown in Figure R307.1. A shower or tub equipped with a showerhead shall have a minimum ceiling height of 6 feet 8 inches (2036 mm) above a minimum area 30 inches (762 mm) by 30 inches (762 mm) at the showerhead.

76" = 6' 4"

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Randy Clayton Guest

some things regradless of what codes state common sense has to take over if it can be reached it needs to be protected and or removed

Here's another heart stopper.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Randy Yates Guest

Heck Rick,
    That's a high dollar grab handle to get in an out of the tub with! Great picture! Thanks for sharing!
    Randy

But Rick its all about the ambiance

Since there is a globe over the bulb, how would this be different than a recessed can, with lens, over the shower/tub?

I would not take issue with it.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Default Re: Fixture/bath tub clearance

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Barker View Post
    Since there is a globe over the bulb, how would this be different than a recessed can, with lens, over the shower/tub?

I would not take issue with it.
    Eric,

How about "recessed" versus "pendant" when "recessed" = "allowed" and "pendant" = "not allowed"?

To globe or not to globe, that is not the question.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Although the question may be to globe or not to globe, the floor to ceiling height is 86" (not 76"), the globe is about 6". That leaves about (wait, let me get my calculator) about 80".

When I stood there, I simply pictured somone drying themselves and hitting the globe, possibly causing injury, either from hitting the globe or the glass on the floor.

It just didn't feel good.