Thread: Labeled Ducting

Default Labeled Ducting

Good to the last drop!

I see this periodically in homes built in the late '50s and early '60s and have been curious for years now as to why. The ducting is not a series of cans, it is a legitimate duct that was apparently not cut up into cans.

My guess is that the painted label was not good enough and the metal was made into ducting instead. Any other ideas?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Ron Bibler Guest

Default Re: Labeled Ducting

It look like they had a missprint of MJB Coffee can material. so some body got an idea to make some duct work out if it.

That was what i was thinking.

Not a bad little house.

Did the roof look ok from on top ?

Ron

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Ron,

Oh, yeah... I hadn't noticed the kitchen exhaust duct. It does look misprinted. So, I guess they took the sheet metal from the coffee can pile and just moved it over to the heater duct pile.

Separations at the perimeter of the masonry chimney as well as around the kitchen exhaust vent roof cap. Separations at the perimeter drip edge flashing as well. General wear issues. Roof needs some work, but probably will hold together for a couple more years. I could see no visible moisture or staining from the garage in the areas that you mentioned, but it could be entering at the perimeter of the chimney and working its way down to the areas you indicated. However, we really haven't had a lot of rain. I wonder how long water could be trapped between layers. There really is no way for it to get out from under a built-up roof, so it might just stay for extended periods.

For those of you who find this post a little disjointed, Ron did the pest inspection just before I did the home inspection. We are comparing notes.

Ron Bibler Guest

I shot these from the inside of the garage gable adjacent to the fire place.

MJB was never my drink Im a Flogers boy.

Best

Ron

Yeah, I saw those too. That is approximately where the fireplace abuts the garage wall.